• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain - 12/22/17

NYDB

Date(s) Skied: 12/22/17

Resort or Ski Area: Magic

Conditions: Variable

Trip Report: i wasnt in a hurry to get out first thing and figured to stay on the groomers for the first couple of runs and let the snow pile up. Probably about ten or so i took a run down some natural and up top it was almost good down low wasnt quite there yet. Probably about 11am they ran the groomer up so I felt like we were at deer valley and took a run down the fresh powdery corduroy. Not what you come to magic for, but it was nice.

Getting close to lunchtime and things were getting good. Snow was piling up and the snow started to really come down. Afternoon was lining up to be great.

Back out after a quick lunch and everything was in play for the most part, within reason. Green line headwall was really thin but there were powder lines everywhere. I stayed out of the steeper tree runs but all the lower angle tree runs were riding fine on a snowboard but its still super low tide.

They had the west side roped off so i may or may not have ventured over there and there may or may not have been beautiful powdery goodness over there especially from 2-4pm.

I dont know how much snow fell but it was enough, especially in the later hours.

I only have one shitty pic from early in the day. Looking up at greenline.

016e107446b4947374c5d6ad31f28d34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Glenn

Cool TR. Agreed, things got better towards the afternoon yesterday out on the hill where I was as well.

NYDB

I love magic's feel. Its like an entire mountain of castlerock. If i could go to mrg, im sure it would be a similiar feel. There were only about 200 people on the entire mountain that day, which adds to the whole mellow feeling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using AlpineZone mobile app

Euler

That lift is STILL not done?!

Things go slowly at Magic. The guy they were depending on for the technical knowledge to bring it back to life died from cancer recently so the renovation of the green lift got put on hold.

The 22nd was a riot, though, at Magic. The morning was rough skiing on a few inches of powder over frozen chunks and ruts. By lunch time, though most of the east side was skiing superbly well. About 2 PM someone poached Redline....I only saw the tracks, not the run, it was impressive...I'm sure some people were pissed to see someone poach it before the snow had consolidated etc, but whoever skied it went right down the fall line and barely disturbed the cover. Nice work.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Things go slowly at Magic. The guy they were depending on for the technical knowledge to bring it back to life died from cancer recently so the renovation of the green lift got put on hold.

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone