• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday week bust???

slatham

All ski areas East of Hudson River should get 6" and SoVT up to 10". More to NE. But it's not going to be a bloackbuster (2'+) for most ski areas due to it's speed.

The biggest issues for ski area ticket sales is the cold this weekend - even worse than last Thur-Monday.

So all eyes turn to MLK. If the weather can remain cold enough for snow, and temps moderate as expected, MLK could be a big one.

drjeff

Sunday won't be as horrible
Yes, but the reality is that by Sunday, and about 48hrs of substantial wind, the snow that falls will ski like 0 - probably 2 feet of pure wind slab over most areas. This snow that falls over the vast majority of the snowfall path is going to be light and fluffy and the big winds will move it around and slab the top layer for most places it ends up....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Yes, but the reality is that by Sunday, and about 48hrs of substantial wind, the snow that falls will ski like 0 - probably 2 feet of pure wind slab over most areas. This snow that falls over the vast majority of the snowfall path is going to be light and fluffy and the big winds will move it around and slab the top layer for most places it ends up....

Trees

drjeff

Not sure that most trees will be seeing plentiful non slab stuff after 48hrs with BIG winds and the extreme cold that won't have the snow settling much on it's own....

I seriously hope I'm wrong on this. But true blower quality powder and 48+ hrs of likely major wind hold winds isn't a good set up for long lines of face shot powder, even in most trees.....

BenedictGomez

I'll be skiing this weekend. Like Smelly I'll be in the trees.

I go in the trees too when it's windy and cold, but there reaches a coldness & windiness point where the trees just aint gonna' help.

That "point" admittedly, will be subjective to different people, but -8 to -20 ambient, and then with some wind to boot, is definitely beyond that point for me.

kingslug

Like the storm last year. Hit big but big winds. Okemo got 18 inches, most of which blew in the trees. But with minus 50 at Stowe my decision to drive down to there paid off the next day.

KustyTheKlown

I'm skiing. Saturday may be rough and we'll call it early probably, but sunday should be fun. the trees in Vermont were already skiing pretty well. this is just icing (figurative cake icing, not literal ice icing)

kingslug

minus 50 at the top , maybe even worse. Be super careful . At those temps frost bite in minutes. Just walking around town Saturday is going to be a freezer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
And whats up with Upper Goat. Still closed? It has to be totally covered. HMMM
It can get pretty wind scoured plus with the severe double fall line, skiers push the snow off the edge of the trail skiers left. Even during the 400+ inch winter of 2000-2001, Upper Goat struggled with coverage. I skied Stowe 100+ days that season and it was frequently closed.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

jmgard

Worth skiing tomorrow? My flight tomorrow got cancelled so I'm on the East Coast for a couple more days. Thinking of going to Loon, Snow, or Crotched, but the wind icon on my weather app has me real worried about wind holds or closures.

Euler

Consider Magic...the lift is nestled tightly down under the treetops and well sheltered from wind. Mount Snow will have many lift holds for sure

Worth skiing tomorrow? My flight tomorrow got cancelled so I'm on the East Coast for a couple more days. Thinking of going to Loon, Snow, or Crotched, but the wind icon on my weather app has me real worried about wind holds or closures.

slatham

Consider Magic...the lift is nestled tightly down under the treetops and well sheltered from wind. Mount Snow will have many lift holds for sure

Lower summit elevation to at Magic vs. Mt Snow also helps with with less wind. But heavy fixed grip double chair (and I think the Red color helps too) at a height less than surrounding tree line is a huge for wind resistence.

gregnye

I second that idea. Magic is a great place to go for a windy powder day!