• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday week bust???

Equinox

Reading all these freezing weather reports makes me feel like a wimp.

It was cold yesterday, and you could tell that the crowds kept away from Wachusett. We skied in the New Year, and we had a great time. The snow was awesomely fast, and there were no lift lines. It was about zero at the base lodge, and I just wore my normal base layer plus glove liners and hand warmers. There were a couple times that the wind picked up, and it was actually enough to slow me down!

If this cold snap keeps up, I will most certainly be adding a layer.

SIKSKIER

I can tell you that Cannon took a huge hit in skier volume.Saturday was a decent turnout but Sunday I was pretty much there by myself.I left by 11 but watching the lifts there was only about 1 in 10 chairs loaded then.I blew off Monday but drove by the parking lot pods on the Brookside beginer area at 11 and there were zero cars except in the top pod.Even there was only 1/2 full(10).A friggen ghost town on what has been one of their biigest ticket sale days of the year because of the 2fer1.Yes the cold had a huge impact here.

jmgard

Friday at Snow was busy, but definitely less so than a normal vacation week. Felt like an average weekend day. Some line at Bluebird but Grand Summit had 5-6 chairs' worth of line at worst.

Attitash on Saturday was fairly mellow, as that mountain always seems to be when I show up. No line on anything except for when the Abenaki stopped for a minute or two. Great bumps on Grandstand, Quiver, and Wandering Skis, and pretty decent coverage in the trees too. Busy in the Bear lodge but not bad at all on the slopes.

Mount Snow yesterday (Monday) was eerily quiet. Almost nobody on the mountain. Emptier than many midweek days I have had there. It made some sense though as it was bitterly cold. These are the days when the bubble chair really comes in clutch. Great carving and corduroy to be had almost all day, as long as you frequently checked to make sure your nose and fingers were still attached...

bdfreetuna

I have to think Mount Snow benefits in these temperatures being the "southernmost big mountain" and having a bubble chair.

Relatively speaking.

cdskier

Mount Snow yesterday (Monday) was eerily quiet. Almost nobody on the mountain. Emptier than many midweek days I have had there.

Looking at the Sugarbush webcams yesterday I saw the same thing there. It looked like a ghost town. Often times you could look at the loading areas for all the lifts they have cams on and in total count the number of people you saw on one hand...

drjeff

Friday at Mount Snow - as previously stated, felt like a "normal" weekend crowd
Saturday at Mount Snow - felt like most of a "normal" Holiday Week Crowd - especially in the main base area
Sunday at Mount Snow - felt like an early season weekend crowd - (Line for the Bluebird, not much of a line elsewhere)
Monday at Mount Snow - very quiet.. (at least when I went out for an hour between 11 and noon) - maybe a 5 or 6 chair wait for the Bluebird

Jcb890

Yesterday at Killington conditions were great. Overall I thought the snow was really good. Low crowds per usual on NYD and especially so with the cold. We never saw above -10F at the K1 base.

bumpcrasher

Looking at the Sugarbush webcams yesterday I saw the same thing there. It looked like a ghost town. Often times you could look at the loading areas for all the lifts they have cams on and in total count the number of people you saw on one hand...

Sugarbush was very quiet all week. The cold temps certainly scared people away. It's too bad as the conditions are still very good right now. Even yesterday, Castlerock was holding up very well!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I am supposed to be heading up to Sunday River tomorrow through Saturday but I got freaking pneumonia and both my kids are sick :/. Only my wife is OK at the moment.

JimG.

Staff member
I am supposed to be heading up to Sunday River tomorrow through Saturday but I got freaking pneumonia and both my kids are sick :/. Only my wife is OK at the moment.

Good I saw this so assuming you won't be at SR Jan 3-6.

Glad I can bail on a long drive with the cold forecast for the weekend. Gonna stay closer to home, probably Gore or Killington. Perhaps Stratton or Okemo both on MAX too.

bdfreetuna

Didn't they drop the forecasts down though? I'm seeing like 2-3" Thursday for Sunday River.

Could be anywhere from 2 - 18" at SR depending how the wind blows, bombogenesis factor. Sorry for unhelpful comment but it has the potential to go big or dud for different parts of the region at this point.

tumbler

Skiing was good with no real crowds. Saturday was the busy day when it got to single digits and it felt like Spring! The good thing is that everyone still came, they just didn't ski. Resturants, market, town, apres were all very busy so hopefully everyone made some money.

bigbog

Didn't they drop the forecasts down though? I'm seeing like 2-3" Thursday for Sunday River.

Think you're closer Jcb890...and actually might be more towards Friday AM for the possible powday. Being in Bangor I tend to get overamped...as we often get more than the western mtn. Agree with bdfreetuna....on western mtns chances...

Last edited:

kingslug

Good I saw this so assuming you won't be at SR Jan 3-6.

Glad I can bail on a long drive with the cold forecast for the weekend. Gonna stay closer to home, probably Gore or Killington. Perhaps Stratton or Okemo both on MAX too.
I would do the same but have to go to Stowe for Condo inspection. Saturday looks out with 30 below windchills but Sunday looks OK..

Jcb890

Think you're closer Jcb890...and actually might be more towards Friday AM for the possible powday. Being in Bangor I tend to get overamped...as we often get more than the western mtn. Agree with bdfreetuna....on western mtns chances...
Don't let me rain on your parade, I hope it dumps too! Just curious if someone was seeing something different than I was.

Jully

Don't let me rain on your parade, I hope it dumps too! Just curious if someone was seeing something different than I was.

It is trending the right direction for Maine this morning. Get ready for it to be even colder right after the storm though!

cdskier

The good thing is that everyone still came, they just didn't ski. Resturants, market, town, apres were all very busy so hopefully everyone made some money.

That's at least good to hear. I couldn't tell from the webcams on that part and was wondering...

drjeff

It is trending the right direction for Maine this morning. Get ready for it to be even colder right after the storm though!

I just got the weekly e-mail plan for my kids race training schedule at Mount Snow this weekend.... They're thinking as of now that Saturday will have a high of -8, with 15-25mph winds!!! Brrrrrrr!