• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Current Arctic Pattern: Possible Relaxation and Storm on 1/4

Glenn

Snowing pretty hard in the flatlands! Happy it shifted west and well deliver somewhat in ski country.

gladerider

josh fox thinks we may get some rain before the MLK weekend. that would suck.

BenedictGomez

josh fox thinks we may get some rain before the MLK weekend. that would suck.

He has that yesterday because it popped up on the models yesterday. I mean, sure I mentioned I was worried about it too now that that rain's there, but I'm really surprised he ran with it given it was the very first model run to show it.

Just looked and it's still there on the 00z run too, but at least it snows nicely Saturday evening into Sunday morning now, which wasn't there before, but the point is, this could (and probably will) change model-run-to-model-run for a few days.

Glenn

It's cold today. Saw -24F on the weather station in SoVT today.

This deep snowpack will do a work in keeping a warm front south of NNE in a potential rainer, but if next weekend comes in as amped as currently modeled, New England, save for possibly Northern Vermont, will get warm sectored and see temps spike.

Glenn

Holding steady at -14F just north of Bratt this AM. Thankfully, no wind to speak of here. I'm sure that's a different story north west of here in the Greens.

moresnow

Anyone have early insight into when the rain will start on Friday, Jan. 12th? I'm trying to decide between a day trip on Thursday and a 2-day overnight (Th/F).
Probably between Thursday and Saturday.

We are still 5 days out. No one is going to be able to tell you exactly when it will start or end. And that all depends on where you are going to be.

Welcome to weather 101.

Sent from my Pixel XL using AlpineZone mobile app

gladerider

i think we will have a better idea as to what type of precip we will get by tuesday's model runs

BenedictGomez

i think we will have a better idea as to what type of precip we will get by tuesday's model runs

This is likely going to be so razor edge thin that I'm not sure we'll know what's what even on Friday. That said, generalizing, from the looks of things, the further northwest the better. I'm thinking Whiteface and Jay Peak might fare the best (or least worst) if all goes well. Would avoid Pokes, Cats, NH given the current data. Given the look of this system, I'm planning on heading for Whiteface and crossing my fingers. It will either be epic or horrendous, I dont think there will be middle ground with this IMO.

Glenn

NWS Albany was slightly hinting at some snow Saturday north of I-90. But maybe I'm being a bit over optimistic.