• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Current Arctic Pattern: Possible Relaxation and Storm on 1/4

NYDB

Nasty pattern setting up for the rest of January. Lots of rain, blasts of warm air between freezes. Hopefully February delivers the goods.

where do you see this?

I see it turning colder again after this mess with a couple of snow chances later this week and then after the weekend.

John W

I hate that the weather has been so effing bad that no one will even talk about it. Almost 60 in nyc today. Downpours and rain all over. Almost a two foot storm a couple of weeks ago on LongIsland. I come here to see people talk about weather and the potential for powderstashes in the Northeast and instead its crickets.. I am sad. Hope you all are well though..

Rowsdower

I mean, thats NE skiing. It happens.

Hopefully the pattern changes through the beginning of February. Looks like the models are waffling back and forth a bit but seem to be suggesting a colder, more productive pattern setting in around the first week of February.

Glenn

They were hinting at this watching Weather Underground at the gym yesterday. The areas really need some natural snow. Would be a bonus to have it on one of the least busiest days of the season....Super Bowl Sunday.

hammer

They were hinting at this watching Weather Underground at the gym yesterday. The areas really need some natural snow. Would be a bonus to have it on one of the least busiest days of the season....Super Bowl Sunday.
If a ski area offers a special lift ticket deal, then Superbowl Sunday can be one of the busiest days of the season...

Went to Gunstock on Superbowl Sunday a few years ago and it was packed, worse than a holiday week. They were offering lift ticket specials and everybody was getting in a quick day of skiing before heading home for the game.

Glenn

We tend to go later on Super Bowl Sunday. Let people get their early AM runs in and then head home. I like that this is a North East focused Super Bowl...should mean more "local" eyeballs watching TV and less skis on the slopes.

MommaBear

We tend to go later on Super Bowl Sunday. Let people get their early AM runs in and then head home. I like that this is a North East focused Super Bowl...should mean more "local" eyeballs watching TV and less skis on the slopes.

We usually stick around until later in the day skiing - Mt Snow typically empties by noon. End up listening to the start of the game en route home. With the snow predicted, I'm trying to convince the other half to take Monday off and just stay and ski both days. I'm sure we can find a bar or a friendly neighbor to let us watch the game with them. ;)

Glenn

I think that's a solid plan! May be a little fresh snow to ski in both days as well.