• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bindings Covers for ski racks

gmcunni

i think i've grown tired of keeping the skis inside the vehicle. I've always preferred it to keep them same and clean but lately it just isn't working out as well. i have a thule box but can't always use it.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good binding cover to protect bindings during drives? i've read some reviews on the Transpack ones shredding at highway speeds and most of my driving is highway.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
i think i've grown tired of keeping the skis inside the vehicle. I've always preferred it to keep them same and clean but lately it just isn't working out as well. i have a thule box but can't always use it.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good binding cover to protect bindings during drives? i've read some reviews on the Transpack ones shredding at highway speeds and most of my driving is highway.

Buy a roll of shrink wrap and wrap your skis up tip to tail. Cut it off when you get there, salt works on edges as well.

Edd

Isn’t salt and sand a concern for edges also?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

putting a box on my Jeep Wrangler is not an option, even with the hard top, unless i want to spend a lot of $$ on a special rack. looking for simpler alternatives.

Do they not make any special attachments with cross rails for Jeeps? I'm surprised given how popular they are. Sounds like an entrepreneurial window.

I have terrible reading comprehension...

We've all been there.

gmcunni

Do they not make any special attachments with cross rails for Jeeps? I'm surprised given how popular they are. Sounds like an entrepreneurial window.

i have a thule rack that can connect to the gutters on the hard top. however, i really don't want to mount a large thule box on it. the weight and wind force pushing that box scares me for the thin fiberglass gutter lip. People do it but not me.

there are aftermarket rail kits that you can get for several $100, you drill the roof of the jeep and mount the brackets through the holes.

gutter option:
install_2013_jeep_wrangler_unlimited_thule_300_gutterfoot_lb58_2__42923_zoom.jpg

drilled option:
0296924aa4050aad9d89c0a82315a81d--jeep-wrangler-roof-rack-jeep-roof-rack.jpg

BenedictGomez

i have a thule rack that can connect to the gutters on the hard top. however, i really don't want to mount a large thule box on it. the weight and wind force pushing that box scares me for the thin fiberglass gutter lip. People do it but not me.

there are aftermarket rail kits that you can get for several $100, you drill the roof of the jeep and mount the brackets through the holes.

gutter option:
install_2013_jeep_wrangler_unlimited_thule_300_gutterfoot_lb58_2__42923_zoom.jpg

drilled option:
0296924aa4050aad9d89c0a82315a81d--jeep-wrangler-roof-rack-jeep-roof-rack.jpg

Those are awesome! Sadly, however, that means my entrepreneurial breakthrough will have to wait.

Seriously though, I think you'd have zero to fear with a Thule. At least if it's like the model I own it's incredibly light and pretty aerodynamic (and mine's almost 10 years old, I imagine they're even better now). Have you ever heard of someone having a bad incident with a Thule and a Jeep?

Hawkshot99

After having both a box and ski racks I will never willingly go back to open ski racks by choice.
I currently have a cap on my truck so the skis go in the bed, but I do have the tracks you posted mounted to the caps roof for a Thule rack. I use it more for kayaks in the summer, but have used it for my Thule box as well.
I would not fear the rain gutter setup you have. Thule is a big company that does ALOT of testing and would not release a rack that would damage your vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

gmcunni

that's what i want but with reviews like this i am looking for something better:
At first these binding covers seemed good quality, However they did not even last 200 miles from seattle to portland before they came apart and were rendered useless. I was extremely disappointed and I just wasted 25 dollars on them. They are good as dust covers and that's about all. How about my money back?

gmcunni

Have you ever heard of someone having a bad incident with a Thule and a Jeep?
not personally but on some jeep forums people have reported catastrophic results with them. i'm less worried about losing my gear, i don't want the lawsuit from the guy behind me taking everything i own.

BenedictGomez

After having both a box and ski racks I will never willingly go back to open ski racks by choice.

I love mine. Plus, while I obviously bought it for skiing, I find I use it for vacations and for camping etc... as well. Gets plenty of use.

not personally but on some jeep forums people have reported catastrophic results with them. i'm less worried about losing my gear, i don't want the lawsuit from the guy behind me taking everything i own.

Wow, that's crazy, I had no idea that was a risk with Jeeps/Thule.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

HD333

I have a cheapo unpadded ski bag that i put my skis into then put on the roof rack. I have a small bungee cord that I use around the bindings to gather up any loose material.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQPR77Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Sounds like a similar potential issue with a box on the Jeep, the bars being ripping off the fiberglass top. Box wound probably be safer, more aerodynamic.

I had Thule bars on my Jeep and I was always hesitant to throw skis on there with a rack, never mind a box, for a long trip with highway speeds. I don't think I ever had the box on the Jeep.

House to the hill with no highway I was fine with skis in racks.

I've done the poor man Thule box by ratcheting a bag to the cross bars of regular vehicles, love the looks you get from the Audi/MB crowd when you pull up next to them like that.

Something like this is best bet for a Wrangler if you want a box. But they are $$$ and seems to limit removing the top.
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_zoomed/public/product_images/122074.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk