• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingslug

Well..i can still go to vail..they kept the trip open for me..have to convince cousin who still thinks it..better? At stowe. Vail sent from 35 trails when we made the decision to cancel..to 170 trails..total turnaround while vt went from 100 % open..to this mess
The lesson..wait before deciding..weeks can make a huge difference..long range forecasts are useless. I should know this but this is a bad beginning for the rockies..utah is still hurting.

Glenn

Resurfacing time.

West River went from frozen solid all the way up to the Dummerston to a raging muddy river yesterday. Our kayaks in Bratt are almost underwater. Hope they survive.

tnt1234

Well..i can still go to vail..they kept the trip open for me..have to convince cousin who still thinks it..better? At stowe. Vail sent from 35 trails when we made the decision to cancel..to 170 trails..total turnaround while vt went from 100 % open..to this mess
The lesson..wait before deciding..weeks can make a huge difference..long range forecasts are useless. I should know this but this is a bad beginning for the rockies..utah is still hurting.

You should go to vail.

Whitey

Sunday River was a disaster yesterday (Sat). Frozen solid with massive snow loss. Almost all the non-manmade snow trails showing lots of brown. Large areas of glare ice everywhere. Skied 2 runs and then bailed. It was the worst skiing I've done in 20 yrs.

Zermatt

You should go to vail.

Yeah, 35 trails at Vail is still better than 100% open at Stowe.

Exact details of long range forecasts are useless but the pattern change this weekend was well forecast. It has been know for some time that it would flip to warm east, cold west. When it is cold in the west it tends to snow....and it's never 60 and raining.

mightaswell

Yeah, 35 trails at Vail is still better than 100% open at Stowe.

Exact details of long range forecasts are useless but the pattern change this weekend was well forecast. It has been know for some time that it would flip to warm east, cold west. When it is cold in the west it tends to snow....and it's never 60 and raining.

Additionally, and not that I'm too familiar with Vail, but there are 3-4 other great resorts within 40 min of Vail so alternatives are not far away at all.

Edd

FWIW, things have been grim by western standards, but not ours. I had two pretty good days at Brighton last week with plenty of tree runs. The 2nd day was 5” of dense fresh snow. Great day[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

MEtoVTSkier

Sorry i have to vent as only you guys would understand. On top of the worst week ive had in years..now this. I cancelled a trip to vail..ate 1600 bucks..and now this. We we nt fr om ski temps and 100 % open to ..this..vail went from 35 trails to 150..im just floored. My wife is still going..and im going to Stowe for the week next weekend..im an idiot..i never screw up like this..im out thousands..friggon hotel at stowe is another 600..holy crap..what a mess..all i can hope for is a recovery..

Not for nothing, but keep in mind there is going to be another big warm-up next weekend 1/19-1/23> going into the following week... I'd be heading to Vail, not Stowe.

Today was even better, not withstanding, F lift down for 2 hours. Main Line was fresh powder bumps all the way, and Minya was a playground of soft bumps.

The Snowmaking Capital of the WORLD made its name proud. Fresh manmande on Minya, Hellgate, Cliff, Bleeker, 7th and Kennedy better each run.

dhmcgill87

Today was even better, not withstanding, F lift down for 2 hours. Main Line was fresh powder bumps all the way, and Minya was a playground of soft bumps.
How were crowds? Debating a day trip tomorrow but don't want to be waiting in line all day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

catherine

Sunday River was a disaster yesterday (Sat). Frozen solid with massive snow loss. Almost all the non-manmade snow trails showing lots of brown. Large areas of glare ice everywhere. Skied 2 runs and then bailed. It was the worst skiing I've done in 20 yrs.

Sorry! I leave Thurs for four days at SR. Really hoping they are able to recover from this mess!

Terry

Skied manmade powder all day at little Shawnee Peak today. One of the best days of the season. One hell of a good job by Mt ops to get it in shape.

JimG.

Staff member
Hunter was great today. Good quality manmade snow. And some good bumps too.

Minya was the standout trail.

mikec142

Went to Windham yesterday with our regular ski crew (4 adults, 5 teenage kids) and had a barrel of laughs as always. Even sitting in the lodge at lunch is fun with my crew. To Windham's credit they were blowing snow like there's no tomorrow. But the conditions were pretty bad. Boilerplate all over and I was never comfortable setting an edge on the ice.

Another thing I give Windham credit for is their "snow guarantee". They will give you an hour to check out the conditions and if you're not happy they will give you a gift card credit if you are unhappy. My wife took them up on that and said it was hassle free. I wish more mountains would do that. My kids and I will go out and enjoy most conditions. My wife is more picky and it would be easier to convince her to join us on sketchy days if she knew she had the option to turn in her ticket for a credit.

JimG.

Staff member
Been to Windham 3x this season on my MAX pass; I thought it was pretty good all 3 times.

mikec142

Been to Windham 3x this season on my MAX pass; I thought it was pretty good all 3 times.

We enjoy Windham. Our kids have several friends whose families have houses there so they often have other kids to ski with. I also find that the mountain is big enough for me to have fun and small enough that I'm totally cool with my kids running around on their own. I find the price point to be fair (trending a bit towards the high side). We usually do 4-5 days trips a season and occasionally will do a weekend. Usually though if it's a weekend trip these days we will drive the extra few hours to VT.

asnowmobiler

Montage was very good yesterday.
There were very few icy spots on the trails, they did a great job recovering. Just off the sides of the trails was nasty thick ice that will be there till April.

Status
Not open for further replies.