• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightaswell

Ugh. Every year we go on a brief trip and I’m taking my boys up to Okemo on Thursday night to ski on Friday and Saturday.........only to hear there will be mid 40temps and all rain on Friday.

Can’t cancel so someone please tell me something that makes me feel better. Any chance it may be colder on the mountain and not be rain? I’d prefer the super cold than rain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Equinox

Forecasts look bad for skiing. Wish you had some better weather for your trip. I can't go out this weekend either. I'm stuck on this farm with a broken tractor that I'll be fixin in the rain.

Best wishes!

mightaswell

Damn. Already bought the lift tickets too. Any other suggestions for fun things to do in the area.......albeit in the rain.

Jully

Damn. Already bought the lift tickets too. Any other suggestions for fun things to do in the area.......albeit in the rain.

Ski in the rain! It'll be better than you think. Just make sure your skis are waxed.

BenedictGomez

Right before and leading into MLK weekend. Resorts can't catch a break!

I feel like the last 3 or 4 years, eastern ski areas have often been cursed with poor weather during many of the highest revenue weeks of the season. Stinks.

ironhippy

Ski in the rain! It'll be better than you think. Just make sure your skis are waxed.

Also waterproof clothing. Including a really waterproof ass, sitting on a wet lift sucks.

Conditions are pretty decent when it's raining, snow is soft and trails are empty.

Smellytele

Also a skieegee to keep the googles clear.

Z

Smellytele

Saturday in VT looks sketchy as well at this moment. Freezing R@!^. The northern whites look a little better with Snow on Saturday. Disclaimer -This could all change of course

Cornhead

Take it with a grain, or two, of salt. Mountainforecast, usually wrong, but calling for over 25" at elevation at Whiteface. Probably be on windhold, they usually are after big dumps.
d755f8fa5b21b3a89730a81826898f83.jpg

Ha, just noticed Scotty in the lower right corner, Messenger icon.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

gladerider

Take it with a grain, or two, of salt. Mountainforecast, usually wrong, but calling for over 25" at elevation at Whiteface. Probably be on windhold, they

will be there Friday-Monday. crossing my fingers.

drjeff

If it's raining on the slopes, Okemo, with its 2 bubble lifts, is one of the better places you can be....

slatham

Non frozen on Friday looks unavoidable in general. Now whether there is a block of time where none is falling and you can get out, is a game day situation.

Saturday is questionable and a close call for Okemo area. Cold air is moving in from the West/NW, so odds are higher for frozen precip in the Whiteface and Gore areas. But there are some models that show it changing to snow on Saturday in SoVt, and I hope that is the case because that is where I will be!

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Take it with a grain, or two, of salt. Mountainforecast, usually wrong, but calling for over 25" at elevation at Whiteface. Probably be on windhold, they usually are after big dumps.

Their forecast for Killington is similar. Something to keep an eye on anyway..

ShadyGrove

I agree the bubble lifts should make it passable for a few laps, since you already bought the tickets.

Okemo also has an ice rink so you can still slide around on frozen liquid. A trip to Singleton's General Store in Proctorsville is always worth it. The sign out front reads, "Whiskey, Guns, Ammo" and they have the best smoked meats in the area. What more do you need? You could also drive south on Route 100 down to Weston for a trip to the general stores there. Another great place to kill a few rainy hours with the kids.

BenedictGomez

Saturday in VT looks sketchy as well at this moment. Freezing R@!^. The northern whites look a little better with Snow on Saturday. Disclaimer -This could all change of course

At the moment, with what we know, New Hampshire is not where you want to be, although yes, the farther north in NH the better from 2pm'ish Saturday on with snow. If you could ski anywhere this weekend and had to pull the trigger now, Jay Peak or Whiteface would be the choices based solely on the models. That said, if the Euro is correct, canceling is probably the best option. The fist model runs post the energy reaching land will be critical.

EDIT: Just noticed the 12z has initialized. No whammys.....move eastward....no whammys.... STOP!

EDIT2: Ummmmm....well..... lets hope the 12z GFS run is wrong, because it's way worse than the last 2 runs and it's soul-sucking for MLK weekend. :(

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

That's not a real forecast, that a pcp depiction turned into a snow forecast via automation, which will always be wrong in a case like this because it "sees" sleet and freezing rain as snow, so it's WAY overdone on the snow total because right now the models show a lot of freezing rain and sleet for Whiteface.

Cornhead

That's not a real forecast, that a pcp depiction turned into a snow forecast via automation, which will always be wrong in a case like this because it "sees" sleet and freezing rain as snow, so it's WAY overdone on the snow total because right now the models show a lot of freezing rain and sleet for Whiteface.
Awesome! Can't wait!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.