• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Meet your Match: Alterra

thetrailboss

Staff member
KSL and Henry Crown (Aspen) merged last year and took over Mammoth, Deer Valley, and Intrawest to form a "New Company" that had not been named. Now it is named: Alterra. And based in Denver.

http://www.saminfo.com/headline-new...t-venture-has-a-name-alterra-mountain-company

The included resorts:

Stratton
Tremblant
Snowshoe
Blue Mountain, Ontario
Steamboat
Winter Park
Deer Valley
Squaw Valley
Alpine Meadows
Mammoth
Big Bear
June Mountain
CMH Heli Skiing

Last edited:

taul

KSL and Henry Crown merged last year and took over Mammoth, Deer Valley, and Intrawest to form a "New Company" that had not been named. Now it is named: Alterra. And based in Denver.

http://www.saminfo.com/headline-new...t-venture-has-a-name-alterra-mountain-company

The included resorts:

Stratton
Tremblant
Snowshoe
Blue Mountain, Ontario
Steamboat
Winter Park
Deer Valley
Squaw Valley
Alpine Meadows
Mammoth
Big Bear
June Mountain
CMH Heli Skiing

Aspen
Aspen Highlands
Snowmass
Buttermilk

Jully

They put in a lot of effort into the new name, but I like it. Interesting tidbits from the article.

the company reinforced its position on allowing its properties to essentially run autonomously. “At each destination, Alterra Mountain Company leaders are empowered to be decisive, creative, and bold in order to retain each mountain’s authentic character."

Clearly they are disassociating themselves from Vail/being Vail type. They are setting themselves up as the Anti-Vail for probably a higher end of clients. Or potentially just trying to calm mountain stakeholders and tell them that they are NOT going to be Vail.

Alterra said in the coming months it will announce new season pass products that will provide access to all of its existing mountains, plus many additional benefits.

Most insight into their pass products that they've given us yet. Interesting that they will go with a universal epic style pass. Additional benefits probably being days at the Aspen mountains or maybe event Mountain Collective benefits?

mbedle

Aspen
Aspen Highlands
Snowmass
Buttermilk

Actually it doesn't include Aspen's resorts. They will remain under control by Aspen Ski Company. I am guessing that is because Aspen Ski Company has a much smaller share of Alterra, compared to KSL

thetrailboss

Staff member
Actually it doesn't include Aspen's resorts. They will remain under control by Aspen Ski Company. I am guessing that is because Aspen Ski Company has a much smaller share of Alterra, compared to KSL

You're right. The article does not list them...I thought I was nuts, but you're right.

The destinations that make up Alterra Mountain Company are spread throughout five states and three Canadian provinces: Steamboat and Winter Park in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Deer Valley in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia

Edd

Doesn’t Deer Valley own Solitude? Are they not a part of this?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

Doesn’t Deer Valley own Solitude? Are they not a part of this?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Haha the owners of DV and Solitude only sold DV. So now they are just the owners of Solitude!

Edd

Haha the owners of DV and Solitude only sold DV. So now they are just the owners of Solitude!

Man, I just spent 4 nights at Solitude and assumed the whole time DV still owned it. Durrr...

p_levert

Alterra name is cr*p. Too close to Altria, which is the name that Phillip Morris gave to itself a couple of years ago. Why choose a name which is so similar to a tobacco company?

Jully

Alterra name is cr*p. Too close to Altria, which is the name that Phillip Morris gave to itself a couple of years ago. Why choose a name which is so similar to a tobacco company?

Combination of Altitude and Terrain supposedly.

Never even heard of Altria and barely know what Phillip Morris is. How well known is the owner of a bunch of cigarette brands these days?

cdskier

Never even heard of Altria and barely know what Phillip Morris is. How well known is the owner of a bunch of cigarette brands these days?

I never heard of Altria either and had no idea Philip Morris re-named their parent company to that (all the way back in 2003 apparently). Also just learned they own Chateau Ste Michelle winery which I didn't know.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Was Vail looking to purchase Solitude? Why would that have pushed Deer Valley to come in and purchase it? I know that Brighton was looking to purchase Solitude, but that fell through in 2014.

Talisker had proposed Ski Link and Vail was interested in doing it.

Solitude was on the market for a while. Deer Valley didn't want Vail to have a stranglehold on the market.