• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky 1/15/18

speden

Just landed in Bozeman. Hitting Big Sky tomorrow. Flew on United from Boston to Bozeman via Newark. The flights were good and my ski bag happily arrived with me. They got a good dump of snow late last week, so I'm hoping for good conditions tomorrow. [emoji4]
5fa5c9c44fcae30b01a6d89e16e85a5d.jpg
5ba1f8038c3679c01376f4d07c24f211.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using AlpineZone mobile app

Rushski

Keep us updated...

Bozeman is a cool airport/town. Went past Big Sky and Jacksion Hole while visiting Yellowstone in October... Man I hate being near great resorts - at the wrong time of year.

Edd

Every time I price out a trip to Big Sky I get sticker shock, along with finding no direct flights. So I get discouraged and move on. One season I’ll have to convince at least 3 friends to do a HomeAway thing and hope for good snow.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

speden

Finished day 1 out on the hill. First time here and I'm skiing with my brother from California who hasn't skied in a long time. So today we tried to get a good overview of the different areas; kind of started on lookers left side of the mountain and worked our way over to lookers right. We did at least a couple trails in most of the pods. The top of Lone peak itself is out of our league, but it looks awesome. Temps were great today in the low to mid 20's with lots of sun. Conditions are about what you'd expect. Not a powder day, but otherwise excellent. Nice edgeable packed powder, not a trace of ice, and tons of ungroomed trails.

The reputation for being uncrowded is true. We had no lines anywhere and traffic on the trails was very light. On groomed trails you could still see corduroy at lunchtime. Only place I saw a lift line was for the Lone Peak tram which is intentionally low capacity.

Really a wide variety of trails to pick from. I think just about any level of skier could find something they'd enjoy. There's extreme stuff, but also an unusual amount of good intermediate trails too.

When I checked in yesterday the girl at the counter said she sees very few people here from Mass. It's a little bit of culture shock out here for me because everyone is super friendly and will talk to you like you've known them for years. I'm not used to that, but it's kind of nice I have to admit. :)

We took it somewhat easy today, but we've got one more day here tomorrow and I'm going to amp it up now that we've got the lay of the land. We only did one run today in the Powder Seeker bowl and it rocked. I can't wait get back up there. That lift closes at 2:30 so you want to hit that earlier in the day when it gets the most sun.

speden

Every time I price out a trip to Big Sky I get sticker shock, along with finding no direct flights. So I get discouraged and move on. One season I’ll have to convince at least 3 friends to do a HomeAway thing and hope for good snow.

The lack of direct flights seems to be the reason it is so uncrowded. It does save money on accommodations if you have more people. We got a nice one bedroom with kitchen and it could easily hold six people even though there are only two of us.

mikestaple

Challenger. Black Dog run. Nice pitch bumps. Your brother is a blue skier? Hit Moonlight Basin. Go under the headwaters. Nothing like it. Even if you don’t ski them. Totally cool. Endless untracked over there. High mountain glades. Unreal. 3:30? Grab a nice PBR tall boy. Drink on the main lift up. Then grab last tracks down. Excellent every day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

speden

Some pics from today. Bluebird day, snow a little more scrapey, but still very good. Checked out the south face. It's huge. Legs are shot. Really had a good time here.
652f9a609d0d4938f8cbf030959df7b6.jpg
b2f674060f4e4d8b5ec17dc7db5b53ff.jpg
f3b0d834d8bee34a36a023a0af349d69.jpg
cd8486e23a8c25a9cb92f130fbcc920e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using AlpineZone mobile app