• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

That's it, I'm done with MLK wknd in New England

Whitey

Being a parent I am hostage to my kid's school schedule and I have to synch my schedule to their vacation schedule. One thing that our town's school system does that's kind of unique is give our kids an extra day off for MLK weekend. So they not only get Monday off but they get either the Friday before or the Tuesday after off as well. Between my work schedule and the holidays we don't get to do much other than day trips until early January so it's good timing for a long weekend to get out for our 1st big ski trip of the season. Being life-long New England skiers we set the bar pretty low, just give us something to ski and we'll make the best out of it.

Sounds great, right? Well here's a summary of our last 4 yrs:

2015 Jay Peak: Icy, bitterly cold, rock hard snow. We got a little snow on Sunday and that helped a bit but that was largely offset by the other family that was with us (just dads and sons on this trip), the "other dad" took a minor spill near the end of day 1. He landed on a hard frozen ice mogul. He fractured his pelvis. I spent the better part of the next 2 days driving back and forth to Newport for hospital visits, picking up prescription pain killers, etc. I missed the snow on Sunday AM because I was driving to and from Newport and the pharmacies there didn't open until 9AM.

2016 Sunday River: Icy, rock hard, no bumps or woods. Near the end of day 1 freezing rain, then rain. The rain on top of the ice was the slipperiest thing I have ever seen in my life, like oil on top of a teflon pad slippery. Walking out of South Peak lodge you literally couldn't stand up. I was parked in the lower lot and I didn't think I'd be able to get to my car except by crawling to it. People were falling down everywhere, it was like a scene from a disaster movie. I saw one older guy go down so hard that they had to take him out in an ambulance. The next morning was better as they had sanded/salted the main roads but everything else was still icy. I go out to get a cup of coffee. When I get back to the hotel I am doing about 5MPH as I turn into the parking lot, still being very careful. Very few cars in the lot. My truck stops turning and just starts sliding. There's about 50 yards between me and one of the few vehicles in the lot. It's about a 2% grade in the lot. I keep sliding but going slow enough that I am talking to myself as I slide. Slow enough that I actually thought about getting out and trying to stop my car by grabbing it and using my feet. I slid across the whole lot and end up diagonally hitting the back rear corner of a POS car. Minor damage. I work it out with the other guy to just take care of it and keep it off of my insurance. 3 weeks later the guy turns out to be just as much of a POS as his car and screws me out of $1400 to fix his car, get him a rental, and to get him to go away. The rest of the weekend's skiing sucked too.

2017 Sunday River: Icy, rock hard, no bumps or woods. Conditions suck, coming off a rain/thaw/freeze cycle. The only run that was any good (and that's a stretch) was the last day when they had some guns going on a run at Oz and that was OK to ski. Otherwise it sucked.

2018 Sunday River: Rains all day Friday and into Sat. Then goes to about 23 degrees an hour after the rain stops. Temps keep dropping from there. Total disaster. Took 2 of the worst runs I've skied in my life on Saturday, didn't even go out on Sunday, left Sunday afternoon.

So the gods are obviously speaking to me and telling me that MLK and skiing in New England are a bad combo. 4 straight years. It may be even more than that but I can't even remember what I did for MLK wknd 5 yrs ago. The irony is that one of the big reasons we have been going to SR the last 3 yrs is on the theory that they have good snow making and that will be better for an early season trip. I am finally getting the message from the gods; MLK hates me and my ski plans.

Sorry, end of rant.

Last edited:

FBGM

Sounds like you should pick up another sport. Maybe online gaming or checkers. Both of those you can sit home. It's safe there.

tnt1234

Oh dude....sorry about all that.

And I don't mean to laugh at you, but your descriptions had me chuckling in a 'yeah, I know this feeling' kind of way....And your unfortunate car accident had me on the edge of my seat!

Damn - that sucks.

Whitey

And I don't mean to laugh at you, but your descriptions had me chuckling in a 'yeah, I know this feeling' kind of way....And your unfortunate car accident had me on the edge of my seat!

That's why I wrote it. The people on this forum are some of the few in the world that could understand this and laugh about it.

drjeff

And you know what will happen if you don't go next year..... Epic conditions with tons of fresh natural on top of a recent even greater quantity of fresh natural, and comfortable temps... ;)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!! :lol:

urungus

I have learned from painful experience not to schedule northeast ski trips too far in advance. But it’s tough when you have to juggle kids and work schedules.

jimk

Next year drive way up into Quebec to get north of any rain... but then you might hit a streak of sub-zero temps. All I can say is keep the faith. As bad as your MLK experiences are, it actually sounds like you are on a gradual upswing :) Also, you are building some bada$$ junior skiers/boarders who will have seen everything and be ready for anything in the future.

slatham

And you know what will happen if you don't go next year..... Epic conditions with tons of fresh natural on top of a recent even greater quantity of fresh natural, and comfortable temps... ;)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!! :lol:

I was thinking the same thing.

Whitey, sorry to hear of your misfortune. And I hate to be selfish, but please stay home next year!

Of course you can also try Plan B - rather than having your first choice of lodging but gamble on snow, wait until the last minute and suck up staying in a lesser accommodations?

nkLottery

I may do the same. I went to Okemo this weekend which turned out to be a nightmare. I've been to Colorado during MLK weekend, also chaotic (granted I was skiing in the Front Range and there was a Broncos playoff game that weekend). I'm a dedicated weekend warrior and will get out all the other weekends of the winter...perhaps I'll consider MLK my 'weekend off' in advance

Jully

Of course you can also try Plan B - rather than having your first choice of lodging but gamble on snow, wait until the last minute and suck up staying in a lesser accommodations?

I would second this. While some years, like this one, EVERYWHERE sucks, most years somewhere in NE is good to decent. If you can afford it through passes or vouchers, staying flexible can help. I'm sure you've thought this through many times though!

Jully

I agree that in general most MLK weekends have been plagued the last 4 to 6 years in the northeast.

I think the common conception is that MLK weekend is just as snow reliable as President's Day weekend, which I think just isn't true. IMO I put MLK day (and all of January) is way more in the X-mas level conditions realm than the February/March category.

I expect frozen groomers and bumps and maybe a few really hairy/scratchy natural runs open by MLK. Between slow starts and the literal annual January thaw, that is really often the case! 2015 and 2017 sound prototypical of this scenario (coupled with some other frustrating complications). The freezing rain / giant rainstorms are more rare and horrific luck for sure though.

Call me a cynic but I just don't really expect January conditions to be anything but groomers and maybe some icy bumps. I'm ecstatic when there is anything else!

SkiFanE

I have skied for 45+ winters. About 5 years ago I gave up on January. It's heartbreaking to be let down Every.Single.Year. So now I just know January is a wash. May be great but don't plan a thing around it. I think when I retire I'm heading south for January lol. I had a 3 day weekend and skied about 2 hours - just don't like ice and didn't want to bother with the cold. It was great snowshoeing and reading and drinking instead lol.

Sorry you you have to learn the hard way lol - took me a long time to finally give up on January. February and March is where I pin all my hopes.

Dickc

Was at Sunday River this last weekend. Saturday was 4 runs and done. Conditions were real bad. Feel bad for you. You blew it by not going out Sunday. Yes, some of the prime lifts were down because of power failures. I managed the singles line at South Ridge in five minutes. Groups were taking 45 minutes, a real shit show. Got to the North Peak lift and the singles line was a minute at best. Lift line was 5 minutes. Skied down to Aurora and had to wait for the liftie to come out of the shack, NO ONE WAS THERE! Went up and over on Cyclone to Jordan. NO ONE THERE. Spent a half dozen runs in Jordan on decently groomed trails with some corduroy still showing. I skied up to and onto the lift for every run. Went back to Aurora, yes, only Northern lights was open, but again as no one was there and the grooming held up well. I only did one run on Dream Maker on the way home, and that was OK near noon. There was some decent skiing to be had as most people either did like you and bagged it, or they stuck to the main area.

JimG.

Staff member
Next year drive way up into Quebec to get north of any rain... but then you might hit a streak of sub-zero temps. All I can say is keep the faith. As bad as your MLK experiences are, it actually sounds like you are on a gradual upswing :) Also, you are building some bada$$ junior skiers/boarders who will have seen everything and be ready for anything in the future.

You would have had to drive considerably north even in Quebec this past weekend to avoid the rain.

darent

whitey, you need to take a winter driving lesson if you slid across a parking lot and watched as you hit another car!!