• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommend me a new pair of skis

puckoach

Another vote for the Brahma.

Demo runs on a bunch of similar last year. Bought this years model, in March.

I would think the metal is important for your size. (I lost 35lbs 2 years ago, now about 215)

The Bonifide was more effort to turn, probably better for west / powder.

Groovy Adventures

I was at Okemo yesterday and demo'd 3 skis- the Enforcer 93, RTM 86 and Scott Sight.

E93- I didn't care for this ski at all. It felt fine in soft snow, but was cumbersome to use everywhere else. It dosn't hold an edge well and wasn't fast enough for me. The Enforcer's get great reviews, but I really didn't dig it.

The Scott Sight they put me on was too small @ 168 mm. The only thing I liked about it, was that when just cruising along it was easy to use and kind of surfy.

The Volkl RTM86 was the best of the three. It held and edge well, seemed faster (though I'd like something even faster if it exists) was stable going off jumps. Though after a few hours on it, It tired me out. I also didn't like it in soft snow/ pow.

So, I think what I want is more of a race ski feel, something that slices down the hill at uber-speed. Something that has superior edge hold but a ski that can crush crud and handle variable snow conditions. Not a ski that will tire me out like the rtm, maybe a surfy vibe when just casually cruising. Ski's have gotten so wide. my old Rossi's have a 78mm waist. is there a category of skis that are similar? Skinny all mountain skiis with more of a frontside focus? there are so many choices, it hard to wrap my head around it all.

I'm headed up to Stowe in a week for more demos. I'd like to check out the Brahma and Quattro, RTM84, Rossi E88, Kastle mx84, Head Kore and race skis, Elan Ripstik 86, There's a Dynastar race ski and a soloman frontside ski that I also want to try. I'm still open to suggestions though.

Last edited:

gnardawg

I thought the E93 was very cumbersome also. The same day I demoed the E93 I demoed the Kore 93. They are night and day. I'll be buying the Kore 93 next time I can find it. They are just what your'e looking for.

E93- I didn't care for this ski at all. It felt fine in soft snow, but was cumbersome to use everywhere else. It dosn't hold an edge well and wasn't fast enough for me. The Enforcer's get great reviews, but I really didn't dig it.

JDMRoma

been hitting a lot of Demos this season, was looking for a decent carving ski. the RTM was my hands down favorite until I tried the Head Supershapes, I Rally and I Titan ! They are very similar skis but blow the RTM away for quickness and agility !
I skied the I rally and loved it, next ski up was the RTM 84 and it felt like a tank in comparison
I did another Demo day just with the Rally and Titan and loved them both.
Bought the Rallys last week, awesome ski !!

JDMRoma

Jealous JD. The Rally was my pick of the day for carving skis at BW early season. Just currently not in the budget

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I wanted to ask you what you liked from that day, I couldnt remember what it was. fun ski ! I got the Demo from Sporthoma for $450
pretty happy with them !

deadheadskier

Staff member
I tried the Rally and Titan both in 170 & 177 plus a Rossi Beer League set up. My pick of the day was the Rally in a 177

JDMRoma

I tried the Rally and Titan both in 170 & 177 plus a Rossi Beer League set up. My pick of the day was the Rally in a 177
When I demo'd the Rally I didnt get a chance to try the Titan, when I went to pick up the rally I mentioned I didnt get a chance to try it and they just gave me both sets of skis. I spent the day with Puck it swopping out both skis between us all day at Cannon....didnt suck !
I ended up buying the Rally anyway and he bought the Titan ! Always fun getting to test things out for more than a run or two !

redwinger

If i didn't like trees or bumps and was looking at a new ski I'd look at the Blizzard Quattro line over the Brahma.

SIKSKIER

When I demo'd the Rally I didnt get a chance to try the Titan, when I went to pick up the rally I mentioned I didnt get a chance to try it and they just gave me both sets of skis. I spent the day with Puck it swopping out both skis between us all day at Cannon....didnt suck !
I ended up buying the Rally anyway and he bought the Titan ! Always fun getting to test things out for more than a run or two !
Curious since you skied those at Cannon.Do you think they would be a good Cannon ski?And wondering how big you guys are and what terrain you liked them on.

JDMRoma

Curious since you skied those at Cannon.Do you think they would be a good Cannon ski?And wondering how big you guys are and what terrain you liked them on.
Yes they'd be a great Cannon ski ! and we went with the 177s.......everything at Cannon was hard pack / groomers.This was 2 weeks ago on a friday. they handled speed and turns unlike anything else I tested.

WJenness

I'm 6'4", 240lbs, I loved the Titans in a 177 on hardpack early this season when I demo'd them (Loon one day and the NMS demo day at Bretton Woods the next day).

The Rallys I didn't like as much. YMMV.

Unfortunately, there were no woods / soft stuff to play in with them those days.

-w

JDMRoma

I'm 6'4", 240lbs, I loved the Titans in a 177 on hardpack early this season when I demo'd them (Loon one day and the NMS demo day at Bretton Woods the next day).

The Rallys I didn't like as much. YMMV.

Unfortunately, there were no woods / soft stuff to play in with them those days.

-w
Funny I had them both for a day, kept swaping them out with Puck it on mountain and we could barely tell any difference between them.

I did feel the rallys were quicker to turn but nothing earth shattering.very similar skis !

Puck it

Funny I had them both for a day, kept swaping them out with Puck it on mountain and we could barely tell any difference between them.

I did feel the rallys were quicker to turn but nothing earth shattering.very similar skis !
Less tip rocker on the rallys

Terry

I bought the titans in 170 length this year. I tried both the titans and rallies and liked the titans better. Quick turning, super edge grip and a bit more float. Love them for the groomers. Haven't had them in the deep snow yet, but that is what the line 115s are for.

prsboogie

You should demo the enforcer 93 and if possible, ON3P Wren 88 (might be difficult to find). The Brahma is pretty bombproof and does a lot of what your looking for, rails front side, has enough rocker in the tip that it manages in the trees well ( if not too deep) and is durable

Groovy Adventures

I demo’d more skis at stowe and found one i really like.

First was a Head Kore 93. Initially I loved how fast it felt. Almost like it was covered in uber-speed-wax if there was such a thing. But the ski felt very surfy/ smeary- which im not into. At high speeds it was unerving.

Next was the Blizzard Bramma- good overall ski. Felt good on hardpack and the little soft snow i could find. It held an edge well, but it was tricky to stop and it was abysmal on ice. I liked it mmore than the Volkl RTM 86 that I tried at Okemo.

Last was the Kastle MX84. I LOVED this ski! Held an edge and the tails came around with minimal effort. I didn’t have to work these skis a ton to get them to work for me. They were EASY! I might end up picking up a pair of these. Other than the fact that they’re not twin tips (so i can land backwards in the park), I have no complaints. 🎿

John9

Kastle makes an amazing ski. I remember my GS speed machine 200 cm. No complaints about my current K2 chargers.

gnardawg

Surprised you thought the Head Kore 93 was unnerving at speed - I thought they handled speed like a champ and you could really put them up on edge. I'm hoping to get a pair soon.

I demo’d more skis at stowe and found one i really like.

First was a Head Kore 93. Initially I loved how fast it felt. Almost like it was covered in uber-speed-wax if there was such a thing. But the ski felt very surfy/ smeary- which im not into. At high speeds it was unerving.

Next was the Blizzard Bramma- good overall ski. Felt good on hardpack and the little soft snow i could find. It held an edge well, but it was tricky to stop and it was abysmal on ice. I liked it mmore than the Volkl RTM 86 that I tried at Okemo.

Last was the Kastle MX84. I LOVED this ski! Held an edge and the tails came around with minimal effort. I didn’t have to work these skis a ton to get them to work for me. They were EASY! I might end up picking up a pair of these. Other than the fact that they’re not twin tips (so i can land backwards in the park), I have no complaints. 🎿