• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epic Pass just got more Epic

thetrailboss

Staff member
How bad is it in UT right now? I thought things had gotten better the last few weeks.

Snowbird has a 65" base. To date we are about 53% of average snowfall. Telluride, at last check, was at 30-40%. And now the f^&king ridge is coming back. The first half of February looks warm and dry.

In comparison, Jackson Hole is at 117% average snowpack; Grand Targhee at 115%. Big Sky is about 120%.

In my experience, Snowbird becomes "decent" at 75" base and "prime" above 100" base. The problem we are having is not just lack of base, but infrequent storms such that the snow gets hammered without any refresher. The forecast temps this week all look above 40 F for the valleys and lower areas...like Sundance...who may have to temporarily close if it continues.

medfordmike

Count me out.

I am not a fan of these "pass battles" as I think they're bad for the skiing public in general, most of who do not have (or wish to have) a season pass.

The net effect of these pass alliances doing battle is an increase in single day ticket rates, the rates for which many people pay. Making skiing more expensive (to the point they seek to "force" you to choose a pass option), for most people, and certainly for the casual masses, is not a good thing IMO. My 2¢..

I love my Max Pass this year and my Pico pass too. But I agree I don't think all these mega pass options will benefit the sport in the long run. One of my nieces (8th grade) really wants to learn to ski. Finances are very tight for her family. Even if my spouse and I take her up and treat her to lessons, rental, etc. what happens if she loves it? It has never been a cheap sport but you are looking at hundreds of dollars a day for a family to ski with lift tickets, rentals, etc. once you get beyond a beginner package. At some point it just doesn't make sense.

I would offer up that I am also a motorcycle rider. The motorcycle industry is really struggling with its demographics. Enthusiasts demand more power, more features and the industry is happy to do it. But now they have an aging albeit wealthy market segment and too many are priced out or don't fit the market niche that is left. Lots of attempts to change now but so much time has been lost.

Smellytele

So there are pictures and then there are "pictures".......

21f07f6ef9301164ad272c38a894ffef.jpg

abc

I would offer up that I am also a motorcycle rider. The motorcycle industry is really struggling with its demographics. Enthusiasts demand more power, more features and the industry is happy to do it. But now they have an aging albeit wealthy market segment and too many are priced out or don't fit the market niche that is left. Lots of attempts to change now but so much time has been lost.
So you're telling me ALL the motorcycle companies are going after the same demographic? All the while enough of the "other" demographics were un-served?

kingslug

Just got back from Vail and it was...great. Almost 2 feet fell during the week. 1 foot the first 2 days of the trip, then 3 days of sun, then almost another foot. So its not as bad as you might think. The woods had 3 feet in them. 3 powder days out of 6, I was happy as a clam. Alta/ Bird just got 2 more feet in the same time. Sure beats skiing on ice.
At first I cancelled the trip for myself and a relative. But went back in at the last minute, at great expense. Still felt it was worth it. I would have been sliding around on crap.

BenedictGomez

Snowbird has a 65" base. To date we are about 53% of average snowfall. Telluride, at last check, was at 30-40%. And now the f^&king ridge is coming back. The first half of February looks warm and dry.

In comparison, Jackson Hole is at 117% average snowpack; Grand Targhee at 115%. Big Sky is about 120%.

Well, the good news where you live is it's only maybe 5 or 6 hours to places like Jackson Hole or Big Sky for a three-day weekend, which is like me going to Lake Placid or Smuggler's Notch, respectively.

Jcb890

In my experience, Snowbird becomes "decent" at 75" base and "prime" above 100" base. The problem we are having is not just lack of base, but infrequent storms such that the snow gets hammered without any refresher. The forecast temps this week all look above 40 F for the valleys and lower areas...like Sundance...who may have to temporarily close if it continues.
Not gonna lie, coming back from Big Sky to this... sucks. :lol:

dlague

My $.02

Yes snowfall has been lacking but the conditions are consistent. We have been in a weekly 3-6 inch snowfall pattern which has touched up stuff nicely. There have not been any hard refreeze days so everything that is open is skiing pretty darn good. Today is a slight warm up then cold and snow. IMO Loveland and A Basin have been spot on with opening terrain. Keystone has incredible snow making capacity and cranked out runs in December. Higher elevation bowls have gotten good snow especially at Breck where the wind blows snow from the backside into the bowls. Worst day was New Years Day at Vail but from reports I hear - things are much better now.

As far as the OP, while it is exciting to hear about Telluride, it is a hike from the I-70 play that Epic Pass has and it is the only option down there. I think it will be good for a long weekend for us in any case. However, many of the Epic Pass locals are not overly excited.

Anxious to see Ikon Pass pricing,

snoseek

Yeah this goddamn ridge has been following me over half a decade now. Mtb season starts sometime next week. We will be rolling dirt at lake level right about then. Skiing is decent here but low base. Last week was awesome but shallow

gmcunni

As far as the OP, while it is exciting to hear about Telluride, it is a hike from the I-70 play that Epic Pass has and it is the only option down there. I think it will be good for a long weekend for us in any case. However, many of the Epic Pass locals are not overly excited.

for me i'm hoping it is setup like vail/beaver. on my local pass i get a few days at those resorts. so for next year, if this works out, we'll plan a family trip for a long weekend to Telli. having never been there i'm excited but certainly won't trek there solo on a day trip.

Jully

Off gad 2. It's my picture from yesterday. Full trip report from last 2 days on NMS. Skiing Snowbird again today. Conditions out here are really nice. Way way better than anything east coast now.

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

I was in Utah all last week and agree with this. Lots of stuff is bare with rocks and bushes sticking up through trails, but it is still easily skiable and the snow quality is SOmuch nicer and the terrain so much better than what is back east right now.

It is a bad year for Utah, but right now it kicks NE's butt.

Jcb890

I was in Utah all last week and agree with this. Lots of stuff is bare with rocks and bushes sticking up through trails, but it is still easily skiable and the snow quality is SOmuch nicer and the terrain so much better than what is back east right now.

It is a bad year for Utah, but right now it kicks NE's butt.
These comparisons are kind of pointless though. Pretty much anywhere out West on their worst day is better than what we have out East on our best day.