• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epic Pass just got more Epic

thetrailboss

Staff member
Off gad 2. It's my picture from yesterday. Full trip report from last 2 days on NMS. Skiing Snowbird again today. Conditions out here are really nice. Way way better than anything east coast now.

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

:lol: Small world. I only did one or two runs off Gad 2 this past weekend. While that looks good, you know that there are MANY other places that don't. STH looked rough.

Compared to the NE? Sure, it is better. But that is apples to oranges. Overall, for Utah, we are low.

Jcb890

going there again?
There's no need to have an argument or discussion, it was a throw-away comment. But, yeah, I do agree with the statement since I made it. Don't get me wrong, I love New England and it is where my home is. The mountains here just don't compare.

Personally, I also feel these other parts of the country are much nicer in scenery and natural attractions than New England is as well. The leaves changing colors is cool I guess, but again, it just doesn't compare.

Smellytele

There's no need to have an argument or discussion, it was a throw-away comment. But, yeah, I do agree with the statement since I made it. Don't get me wrong, I love New England and it is where my home is. The mountains here just don't compare.

Personally, I also feel these other parts of the country are much nicer in scenery and natural attractions than New England is as well. The leaves changing colors is cool I guess, but again, it just doesn't compare.

A great day out West will beat a great day in the East. A "bad day" out west will also beat a "bad day" in the east. But a great day in the east will beat a "bad day" in the west.
I think views around Mt Washington (and to a somewhat lesser extent Mt Mansfield) do compare with other ski regions. Now does Mt Snow (just an example) views? No.

Jcb890

A great day out West will beat a great day in the East. A "bad day" out west will also beat a "bad day" in the east. But a great day in the east will beat a "bad day" in the west.
I think views around Mt Washington (and to a somewhat lesser extent Mt Mansfield) do compare with other ski regions. Now does Mt Snow (just an example) views? No.
Of course a great day here will beat a bad day out West... again, I was being a bit facetious and over-generalizing with my statement.

Agreed that the views around Mt. Washington are nice, but that is as good as it gets and I disagree that those views compare with the scenery out West (for the most part).

It really is a pointless conversation/argument to have since they are different geographic areas.

cdskier

Pretty much anywhere out West on their worst day is better than what we have out East on our best day.

Of course a great day here will beat a bad day out West... again, I was being a bit facetious and over-generalizing with my statement.

Now I'm confused. Is the best day in the east better than the worst day in the west or not? You can't be on both sides of the argument! :razz:

BenedictGomez

As great as the west is, and is better than the east, I really think a lot of people absurdly overrate is versus east. Either way you're still sliding on snow on expert terrain, moguls, trees, etc...

sankaty

As great as the west is, and is better than the east, I really think a lot of people absurdly overrate is versus east. Either way you're still sliding on snow on expert terrain, moguls, trees, etc...

Totally agree. I think some of the bad feelings people have about the east vs. west stem from folks who can only schedule a holiday week far in advance. In the east, some years can be horrendous between crowds, weather, and snow conditions. A bad week can happen out west, too, but the chances of just miserable conditions are much lower. Most of us can pick and choose our days and times to ski here in the east, and most eastern winters have a fair amount of sublime skiing to choose from.

Zermatt

Alright alright... forget I said anything. :lol:

Why? It’s true and I agree with it. Claiming it in a northeast skiing forum might be an uphill battle though

I’ve had some amazing days skiing in the east. They are so rare I can literally remember each one.

I’ll be skiing on the Rothorn this morning, searching out the remaining off piste powder stashes a week after the last snow. I’ll be wearing thin gloves, no face mask. I will have lunch outside without my jacket on and probably drink two large beers. Tonight it will snow.

Smellytele

Been to the Alps before as well during a low snow year and groomers were all you could ski. Had to take a lift down because the lower parts of the mountain had no snow. Had great days there as well. All I can say is I have had great days and bad days and no matter where the great days were they beat the bad days where ever they were. 15" of powder with a good base is always going to beat frozen wind blown refreeze crud no matter what the scenery is.

cdskier

All I can say is I have had great days and bad days and no matter where the great days were they beat the bad days where ever they were. 15" of powder with a good base is always going to beat frozen wind blown refreeze crud no matter what the scenery is.

THIS! I really don't understand how there can be an argument that the "worst" skiing day in X beats the "best" skiing day in Y. It simply isn't possible if the "worst" truly is a bad day. I don't care where you are. Even if you are somehow in a place that NEVER goes above freezing, if you have a whiteout day where you can't see 1 foot in front of you, that's not better than a perfect blue-bird day after a dump in the East.

sankaty

The amusing thing about these discussions is that there is a lot of back and forth about things for which there really isn't any disagreement.

Nobody actually believes that the worst day out west beats the best day back east because it's obviously untrue. I think people say this as shorthand to express that western skiing is better, on average, than eastern skiing, which again, just about everybody believes. The arguments seem to be about semantics. As far as I can tell, the only real disagreement is over the exact amount to which western skiing bests eastern skiing.

Domeskier

Why? It’s true and I agree with it. Claiming it in a northeast skiing forum might be an uphill battle though

I’ve had some amazing days skiing in the east. They are so rare I can literally remember each one.

I’ll be skiing on the Rothorn this morning, searching out the remaining off piste powder stashes a week after the last snow. I’ll be wearing thin gloves, no face mask. I will have lunch outside without my jacket on and probably drink two large beers. Tonight it will snow.

This Rothorn sounds great. Where out west is it? Colorado? Utah? Having trouble finding it on the map.

Last edited:

Domeskier

is that a serious post? he's in Europe.

Really? So he's using an anecdote about his little trip to the Alps to support his claim that a ridiculous statement about the relative merits of skiing in the western US v. the eastern US is obviously true? Guess I stand corrected....

BenedictGomez

Really? So he's using an anecdote about his little trip to the Alps to support his claim that a ridiculous statement about the relative merits of skiing in the western US v. the eastern US is obviously true? Guess I stand corrected....

Dogs are better than cats, that's why I own ostriches.

Jully

really? So he's using an anecdote about his little trip to the alps to support his claim that a ridiculous statement about the relative merits of skiing in the western us v. The eastern us is obviously true? Guess i stand corrected....

haha!!