• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epic Pass just got more Epic

Jcb890

But, but...

Now you're just playing with us, aren't you!
:lol:
Nobody actually believes that the worst day out west beats the best day back east because it's obviously untrue. I think people say this as shorthand to express that western skiing is better, on average, than eastern skiing, which again, just about everybody believes. The arguments seem to be about semantics. As far as I can tell, the only real disagreement is over the exact amount to which western skiing bests eastern skiing.
^ This.

Of course I'll take a pow day in the East over a rainy day or crappy day out West. I was exaggerating, over-generalizing and being a bit facetious with my original comments.

SnowRock

Just to add my.02 cents

If my memory was strong enough to rank my days all “timeness,” …I’d have a few east coast days in my top 10 despite having been west quite a bit and having had some good luck with snowfall. Be hard to beat some of those deep day on western trips for the top spots though.

I had Bird and Jackson trips last year with decent snow and some fresh, but I also had absurd luck with Stowe trips and would say my favorite day of the year was up there in April after 12+. I think I was the first down lookout shortly after opening and not sure I stopped grinning all day after that. Went right back up for round two and followed that with Starr into the lookout trees. That three run sequence was amazing.

JimG.

Staff member
I like these new multi-area east west passes a lot!

Everyone knows the west is better than the east and it allows all the poor east coast skiers to fly out west and ski there instead.

Which I love! More eastern goodness for me.

abc

I like these new multi-area east west passes a lot!

Everyone knows the west is better than the east and it allows all the poor east coast skiers to fly out west and ski there instead.

Which I love! More eastern goodness for me.
Is it true? Are you observing less skiers in mountains in the northeast? ;)

JimG.

Staff member
Is it true? Are you observing less skiers in mountains in the northeast? ;)

Yes I am.

But I'm pretty sure that's because I spend more and more of my ski time mid-week instead of weekends.

abc

I don't remember finding too much crowd in the mountains in the northeast! Not for the past 10 years or so anyway.

But that's because 1) I'm blackout on holidays in all the passes I've had; 2) I don't go to the "popular" mountains anyway.

I've not skied Hunter for approximately 10 years. The last time I ski Killington, was in May. And the last time I ski Killington before May was again more than 10 years ago. I did ski Stratton a few times, but it was mid-week...

As I actually work a "regular" job, the only reason I have no need to skiing weekends in the east, is I'm skiing out west on many of weekends. By the time I'm back east, I need to rest and catch up on chores, so that I can go out west again. All made possible by these multi-mountain passes.

I'm leaving for Big Sky in 2 1/2 weeks. There will be no crowds in Big Sky.

benski

Those are both mountain collective resorts. The mountain collective has many resorts that are on IKon but Epic does not have any overlap with other passes. Win mentioned working on the mountain collective recently so I doubt it’s done.

snoseek

There is no room for the epic crowds in the cottonwoods....really its full here the roads are a major pain in the ass. Solitude is no longer solitude Im told and altabird is insanity when it snows...specifically 210 going up and down. I dream of a 20ish dollar toll that supplements a extended more efficient bus service and more parking at the mouth. The infrastructure just isn't there to support the epic pass. Feel for the snowbasin regulars. ..pow mow will see some refugees next year Im sure

thetrailboss

Staff member
There is no room for the epic crowds in the cottonwoods....really its full here the roads are a major pain in the ass. Solitude is no longer solitude Im told and altabird is insanity when it snows...specifically 210 going up and down. I dream of a 20ish dollar toll that supplements a extended more efficient bus service and more parking at the mouth. The infrastructure just isn't there to support the epic pass. Feel for the snowbasin regulars. ..pow mow will see some refugees next year Im sure

Exactly. Ikon has really crowded BCC...in less than a season.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

abc

Not sure about the magnitude of the issue. Buddy of mine was at Solitude just this past Monday after the storm. She said "nobody there"!

Jully

Not sure about the magnitude of the issue. Buddy of mine was at Solitude just this past Monday after the storm. She said "nobody there"!

In my non-local opinion, it seems like Solitude has plenty of capacity on mountain before it gets to what any non-spoiled BCC skier would call crowded. People are just mad because it used to be EMPTY all the time and now there's a few minute long lift lines and I'm sure powder is disappearing much faster.

The road up there can't handle anyone else too... so getting to and from Solitude/Brighton now sucks tremendously more.

thetrailboss

Staff member
In my non-local opinion, it seems like Solitude has plenty of capacity on mountain before it gets to what any non-spoiled BCC skier would call crowded. People are just mad because it used to be EMPTY all the time and now there's a few minute long lift lines and I'm sure powder is disappearing much faster.

The road up there can't handle anyone else too... so getting to and from Solitude/Brighton now sucks tremendously more.

The car traffic is the issue.

BenedictGomez

This makes me wonder about the economics of getting paid to be on a pass & the ancillary benefit of having "more people" who will buy stuff, but who arent buying tickets directly from your hill, versus not being on the pass and having fewer people, but not driving away other skiers/riders who would otherwise be paying you for full-freight lift tickets.

That's a long-winded way of saying, if the financial benefit of being on this pass aren't significantly better than not being on a pass, in this scenario where crowding is becoming a big problem, perhaps it's better to have fewer people and NOT be on a pass.