Rustler 9 vs. Bushwacker?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rustler 9 vs. Bushwacker?

I killed my Bushwackers.

Inclined to just get a new pair. Loved those skis. but the Rustler 9 sounds intriguing. Claims it's a better edging ski in east coast conditions.

Needs to be great in the bumps, and nimble in the trees.

Any experiences out there?

Havenít tried the Rustlers myself but Iím curious what you did to the Bushwackers.

I was at Mount Snow a couple of weeks ago and a couple of demo tents were set up. I was excited for a minute to try some newer Blizzards but it was for reps only. Buzzkill.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Haven’t tried the Rustlers myself but I’m curious what you did to the Bushwackers.

I was at Mount Snow a couple of weeks ago and a couple of demo tents were set up. I was excited for a minute to try some newer Blizzards but it was for reps only. Buzzkill.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

So, this saturday my youngest daughter and I skied magic for our first time ever - they got a bit of rain and everything was frozen EXCEPT Redline, Gonnif Glade and the trails left and right of those two. Can't explain it. Made no sense. Trails at the same apparent elevation were frozen marbles. Maybe it was the aspect? Someone i teh lodge said Slight of Hans was really good too, but we never tried that....

So anyway, we skied the holy living hell out of those trails - mosty red line and gonnif. And of those tow, red line a few times more....Had an absolute blast.

But, red line was thin and I hit more than a few rocks....

Sunday we skied Bromley - blue bird day, soft snow everywhere. They evidently didn't get any rain. Soft bumps galore....And a few glades.

In the avalanche glade, I took the best spill of probably...jeez...5 years? Maybe more....was making a turn around what I thought was a mogul, but in reality was a rock...jammed the tip of my right ski into the rock at maximum speed (which for me in the glades, isn't really that tremendous of a speed, but whatever...) Single ejected and over teh handle bars, somersault...barely missing a stump and a tree.

All in all, good luck. Could have been worse. Right arm still killing me - can't really lift it over my head without grimacing....no rock climbing for a bit...

Checked my ski before putting it back on. No apparent damage, but I was focusing on the tip....

Two or three more runs, including one through Orion Glade....on the very last run, I felt my LEFT ski sticking...or something...but whatever...get down and my daughter points to my right ski - about 8-10" of edge are blown out and dangling.

So it's weird the big crash was defiantly tip first into a rock, but I'm sure that contributed to the blow out some how.

So, that's that...here I am shopping for skis....

With that double rocker I would wonder how it handles on ice though. I want to try the Head Kore 93 for this reason but my old Sultan 85's grip ice like nothing else I have.
    I've discovered that up North you need as much grip as possible..steep icy stuff everywhere.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

I skied the Ruster 9 and 10.

If you want a quick tree/bump ski, I think the 9 is fantastic. They do ski a little short in my opinion. I think it depends on how demanding you are on the ski. I bought the 10 at 180cm (I am a little under 5'10) and it's about right in size; but I could ski longer (I bought short for glades/bumps). If I was a west coast guy, I'd get the 188. NOTE- this is coming of a S3 which skis really short.

My friend is a couple inches taller than I am and buying the 9 at 180cm. He isn't as aggressive as I am. I think the 9 isn't enough ski for me at 180cm if that makes sense. If I bought the 9, I think I'd go 188cm, but it would be more of an on trail ski for me at that length.

I think the waist on this particualr ski has more to do with how hard you are going to ski it than how much powder you are going to ride. I actually felt the 10 was better on paiste for me also; but I didn't try the 9 @ 188cm.

Quote Originally Posted by pauldotcom View Post
    I skied the Ruster 9 and 10.

If you want a quick tree/bump ski, I think the 9 is fantastic. They do ski a little short in my opinion. I think it depends on how demanding you are on the ski. I bought the 10 at 180cm (I am a little under 5'10) and it's about right in size; but I could ski longer (I bought short for glades/bumps). If I was a west coast guy, I'd get the 188. NOTE- this is coming of a S3 which skis really short.

My friend is a couple inches taller than I am and buying the 9 at 180cm. He isn't as aggressive as I am. I think the 9 isn't enough ski for me at 180cm if that makes sense. If I bought the 9, I think I'd go 188cm, but it would be more of an on trail ski for me at that length.

I think the waist on this particualr ski has more to do with how hard you are going to ski it than how much powder you are going to ride. I actually felt the 10 was better on paiste for me also; but I didn't try the 9 @ 188cm.

Thanks.

I'm 6'1, 185lbs and skied the Bushwacker 180s and loved them.

So I found a deal on the R9s, and pulled the trigger. 180s again. So I think that will help with some of my concerns. Your review sounds like it will work just fine for me....

I got them for $479, no tax, free shipping at ski monster.com. they had three pair left if anyone is interested. Pretty sick price really.

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Thanks.

I'm 6'1, 185lbs and skied the Bushwacker 180s and loved them.

So I found a deal on the R9s, and pulled the trigger. 180s again. So I think that will help with some of my concerns. Your review sounds like it will work just fine for me....

I got them for $479, no tax, free shipping at ski monster.com. they had three pair left if anyone is interested. Pretty sick price really.
    I am interested as I ski the Bushwackers in a 180 also. Iím a couple of inches shorter and a bit lighter than you.

What I really want to know is if it performs better on firm conditions than the Bushwackers. The only way to know is demo but Iíll be curious to hear what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I am interested as I ski the Bushwackers in a 180 also. I’m a couple of inches shorter and a bit lighter than you.

What I really want to know is if it performs better on firm conditions than the Bushwackers. The only way to know is demo but I’ll be curious to hear what you think.
    They arrive today. Hopefully mount them this weekend. Might try to go night skiing gin the pokes just to try them out, but more likely, a day next weekend. I'll let you know.

[QUOTE=kingslug;1017444 . n but my old Sultan 85's grip ice like nothing else I have.
    I've discovered that up North you need as much grip as possible..steep icy stuff everywhere.[/QUOTE]
    Agree on the Sultans. Am using Brahmas mostly now
    G.N.A.R.

I was looking at Brahmas for a hardpack/ice ski. Thoughts?

Thread Information