• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epic Pass just got more Epic

skitheeast45

Ikon will probably change their pass structure next year, meaning adding passes with more restrictions, to solve some of these problems. The non-Alterra mountains may like to remain independent, but they see the future and the reality is that the number of visitors flying in was decreasing as Epic expanded into the Midwest unless they got on board with special deals (ie discounts for people with season passes at other resorts or some partnership pass). They also understand Mountain Collective will probably die, as Snowbasin/Sun Valley are going Epic and releasing a new pass next year with unlimited at both (and possibly limited days at other resorts) and Aspen/Squaw/Mammoth are going Ikon only. These mountains all have good relationships with Aspen/Alterra from Mountain Collectice and are therefore more willing to join Ikon as an add-on instead of going Epic. They may not like where the future is going, but from a business perspective, adapt or die.

gladerider

after this thread, i got more interested and did some reading. here is a good article that aligns to my thinking.
ultimately, i think the resorts like JHMR have to make a decision. bet on the passes or against them. if given the option, i'd rather take the growing pain option like the a-basin's parking lot issue rather than deal with low skier traffic. interesting times for a skier.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ses-are-great-for-ski-buffs-until-they-re-not

BenedictGomez

^ interesting read.

The guy they quoted from Magic Mountain has the same fear I posted about a few pages back, that EPIC/IKON are going to be destructive to the future of skiing from a "new skier/new snowboarder growth" standpoint.

gladerider

^ interesting read.

The guy they quoted from Magic Mountain has the same fear I posted about a few pages back, that EPIC/IKON are going to be destructive to the future of skiing from a "new skier/new snowboarder growth" standpoint.

agree. the strategy seems to be:
1- increase the daily lift ticket prices forcing the skiers to buy up one of these passes
2- once you are on one of these passes, you are unlikely to visit a mountain not on your pass (which supports your point about these passes being negative to new skier growth)
3- buy up smaller mountains around the country to feed their premier destinations in the rockies paying premium $ for everything
4- keep improving the mountain portfolio to take the the leadership position

looks like there is quite a bit more consolidation left in the next few years. but i think this article is spot on.

AdironRider

Ikon pricing remains virtually the same for next year, 50 dollar increase

Jackson stays on the pass.

This is the current lift line situation:
teewinot.jpg
gondi_bottom.jpg

Traffic just to park extends almost 10 miles all the way into town. This is unsustainable.

Teton pass is closed so I'm extra salty about the whole thing but Targhee looks better and better despite its boring terrain.

GregoryIsaacs

This is the current lift line situation:
View attachment 24690
View attachment 24691

Traffic just to park extends almost 10 miles all the way into town. This is unsustainable.

Teton pass is closed so I'm extra salty about the whole thing but Targhee looks better and better despite its boring terrain.

Jesus when were these taken? Looks like mount snow on Presidents day weekend! I can only imagine what the tram line looked like! It really is getting out of control. Im thinking for next year I may go somewhere totally off the beaten path like southern CO

Domeskier

There is nothing better in this world than hundreds of Goretex wearing hardos trying to "get theirs"!

I wonder what percentage of those skiers are Ikon pass holders hoping to catch a glimpse of some celebrity or business mogul drenched in expensive champagne and what percentage are local hangers-on silently fuming about Ikon pass holders.

slatham

These were the webcams as of 10 minutes or so ago.

On a non holiday Tuesday? Strike JHMR from my to do list.

I may follow GregoryIssacs and just head to non EPIC/IKONIC resorts.

This will be their downfall. That and ignoring those new - or wanting to try - the sport.

I am joining a group of guys at Stowe next weekend 3/9-10 (thanks to the "Buddy Pass" discounts). How have crowds been at Stowe?

Last edited:

GregoryIsaacs

This will be their downfall. That and ignoring those new - or wanting to try - the sport.

Exactly! Try going through that website as if you had never skied before... it would make ZERO sense on what you are actually buying....

Can someone even find a link that describes what mountains come unlimited and the blackout days with the base pass?

That website just makes me angry for no reason! I get you have 38 resorts but knowing when you can and cant ski them would be a nice addition!

cdskier

Exactly! Try going through that website as if you had never skied before... it would make ZERO sense on what you are actually buying....

Can someone even find a link that describes what mountains come unlimited and the blackout days with the base pass?

That website just makes me angry for no reason! I get you have 38 resorts but knowing when you can and cant ski them would be a nice addition!

Full details were posted in the past for last season's passes. I suspect more details will be posted for next year's pass before they actually go on sale. Perhaps they are still finalizing some details (for example maybe "up to 7 days at 23 destinations" doesn't mean all 23 destinations will be 7 days. Maybe some will be more restricted with fewer days).

BenedictGomez

Give it's non-hoiday mid-week, are you absolutely certain there are no extenuating circumstances leading to that line? Avy work going on elsewhere, a lift or lifts closed, etc....

AdironRider

Give it's non-hoiday mid-week, are you absolutely certain there are no extenuating circumstances leading to that line? Avy work going on elsewhere, a lift or lifts closed, etc....

Here's the bottom of Apres Vous yesterday.

52905696_10100099312125301_6222734195391725568_n.jpg

snoseek

I totally get why these things are getting bought up. I think it will sharply increase as well...word is out.

With that said fuck this pass. The holiday weekend was the slowest weekend for a while, in reality it brings way more people to the same already busy mountains, everyone funneling to the same resorts. I've bought alot of day tickets to obscure mountains on my days off this year. I guess this is the future of skiing.

skitheeast45

These were the webcams as of 10 minutes or so ago.

That was taken at opening this morning when all lifts were delayed due to avalanche control, so everyone was just standing around waiting. I therefore wouldn't call that an accurate depiction of the mountain today.