Epic Pass just got more Epic - Page 19

AlpineZone

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Ikon will probably change their pass structure next year, meaning adding passes with more restrictions, to solve some of these problems. The non-Alterra mountains may like to remain independent, but they see the future and the reality is that the number of visitors flying in was decreasing as Epic expanded into the Midwest unless they got on board with special deals (ie discounts for people with season passes at other resorts or some partnership pass). They also understand Mountain Collective will probably die, as Snowbasin/Sun Valley are going Epic and releasing a new pass next year with unlimited at both (and possibly limited days at other resorts) and Aspen/Squaw/Mammoth are going Ikon only. These mountains all have good relationships with Aspen/Alterra from Mountain Collectice and are therefore more willing to join Ikon as an add-on instead of going Epic. They may not like where the future is going, but from a business perspective, adapt or die.

after this thread, i got more interested and did some reading. here is a good article that aligns to my thinking.
    ultimately, i think the resorts like JHMR have to make a decision. bet on the passes or against them. if given the option, i'd rather take the growing pain option like the a-basin's parking lot issue rather than deal with low skier traffic. interesting times for a skier.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...il-they-re-not
    gladerider

^ interesting read.

The guy they quoted from Magic Mountain has the same fear I posted about a few pages back, that EPIC/IKON are going to be destructive to the future of skiing from a "new skier/new snowboarder growth" standpoint.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    ^ interesting read.

The guy they quoted from Magic Mountain has the same fear I posted about a few pages back, that EPIC/IKON are going to be destructive to the future of skiing from a "new skier/new snowboarder growth" standpoint.
    agree. the strategy seems to be:
    1- increase the daily lift ticket prices forcing the skiers to buy up one of these passes
    2- once you are on one of these passes, you are unlikely to visit a mountain not on your pass (which supports your point about these passes being negative to new skier growth)
    3- buy up smaller mountains around the country to feed their premier destinations in the rockies paying premium $ for everything
    4- keep improving the mountain portfolio to take the the leadership position

looks like there is quite a bit more consolidation left in the next few years. but i think this article is spot on.
    gladerider

Ikon pricing remains virtually the same for next year, 50 dollar increase

Jackson stays on the pass.

This is the current lift line situation:
    teewinot.jpg
    gondi_bottom.jpg

Traffic just to park extends almost 10 miles all the way into town. This is unsustainable.

Teton pass is closed so I'm extra salty about the whole thing but Targhee looks better and better despite its boring terrain.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Ikon pricing remains virtually the same for next year, 50 dollar increase

Jackson stays on the pass.

This is the current lift line situation:
    teewinot.jpg
    gondi_bottom.jpg

Traffic just to park extends almost 10 miles all the way into town. This is unsustainable.

Teton pass is closed so I'm extra salty about the whole thing but Targhee looks better and better despite its boring terrain.
    Jesus when were these taken? Looks like mount snow on Presidents day weekend! I can only imagine what the tram line looked like! It really is getting out of control. Im thinking for next year I may go somewhere totally off the beaten path like southern CO

These were the webcams as of 10 minutes or so ago.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    These were the webcams as of 10 minutes or so ago.
    There is nothing better in this world than hundreds of Goretex wearing hardos trying to "get theirs"!

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/2019-2020-ikon-pass-on-sale

Looks to be the same for New England next year, just cost $50 more. Surprised at how unchanged it is from this year. I will stay with Epic Local again next year if this is all Ikon is going to offer for New England

Thread Information