Epic Pass just got more Epic

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Epic Pass just got more Epic

Perhaps in response to the new Ikon Pass...

Telluride is joining the Epic Pass!

Beginning in the 2018/19 winter season, the Epic Pass, Epic 7-Day and Epic 4-Day will have direct-to-lift access to Telluride Ski Resort.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Just saw that and yes, let the battle begin...

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Just saw that and yes, let the battle begin...
    Count me out.

I am not a fan of these "pass battles" as I think they're bad for the skiing public in general, most of who do not have (or wish to have) a season pass.

The net effect of these pass alliances doing battle is an increase in single day ticket rates, the rates for which many people pay. Making skiing more expensive (to the point they seek to "force" you to choose a pass option), for most people, and certainly for the casual masses, is not a good thing IMO. My 2..
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Count me out.

I am not a fan of these "pass battles" as I think they're bad for the skiing public in general, most of who do not have (or wish to have) a season pass.

The net effect of these pass alliances doing battle is an increase in single day ticket rates, the rates for which many people pay. Making skiing more expensive (to the point they seek to "force" you to choose a pass option), for most people, and certainly for the casual masses, is not a good thing IMO. My 2..
    I agree. But it is great for enthusiasts like us who get a bunch of mountains dirt cheap.

I do hate the increase in day ticket prices...people still seem to buy them though. I don't go to the big resorts (ones that charge $90+) during peak winter weekends/holidays, but I always hear stories of long lines for day tickets at the window.
    2018-2019 90 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/1, 12/15, 12/23, 12/24, 12/26, 12/27, 12/29, 12/30, 12/31, 1/1, 1/5, 1/12, 1/13, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1/25, 1/26, 1/27, 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/15, 2/16, 2/17, 2/18, 2/20, 2/22, 2/23, 2/24, 3/2, 3/3, 3/10, 3/16, 3/17
    Killington: 11/16, 12/7, 12/9, 12/13, 12/20, 1/8, 1/9, 1/14, 1/23, 2/13, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 3/23, 3/24, 3/29, 3/30, 4/7, 4/20, 4/21, 5/4, 5/5
    Sugarbush: 12/8, 1/3, 1/17, 1/18, 4/6, 4/19 Mount Snow: 10/27, 11/21, 12/12
    Sunday River: 3/11, 3/12, 3/13
    Magic: 11/30, 1/11, 3/9 Jay Peak: 12/18, 1/15 Smuggler's Notch: 12/17 Sunapee: 12/19 Mad River Glen: 1/2 Mohawk: 1/4 Okemo: 1/7, 4/5 Pico: 1/10 Burke: 1/16 Belleayre: 2/1 Catamount: 2/6 Jiminy Peak: 2/12 Berkshire East: 3/6 Wildcat: 3/14 Bretton Woods: 3/15
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Count me out.

While I have a season pass (to a single resort) and am ultimately benefiting from the wars causing my pass price to drop, I still agree that trying to "force" people into buying season passes and pricing day tickets at rates that scare people away is not a good thing. In particular I still see high day ticket prices as a major roadblock to growth in the sport or even introducing new people to the sport (the exception being kids that are brought up skiing from a young age).

Count me out.

If I didn't spend 99% of my time skiing one resort, I couldn't agree with you more. But in my case, its nothing but a win for me. Plus, if Epic adds any places in the northeast to their 50% off group, its even better for me. My guess is that they will look to pick up a couple of NE resorts to add to their pass.

Count me out.

Definitely nervous about the increased consolidation and ticket prices due to passes, but as that is the way the industry is just going right now, I don't think it is reversing anytime soon. Eventually a mountain will reverse the trend, I'm sure, by offering incredible ticket deals or something but the passes appear to be working well for the masses right now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    Perhaps in response to the new Ikon Pass...
    Definitely seems like a response to the Ikon. Interesting that Telluride was one of the last independent large destination resort in CO. They were also a Mountain Collective resort. I doubt they will be next year.

The MCP will look really different with Tride and probably the new Ikon mountains off the pass.

The part that impacts me will be if Vail adds anywhere in the Northeast. The Ikon is currently a better NE option (though it still isn't great from a strictly eastern perspective, IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    The MCP will look really different with Tride and probably the new Ikon mountains off the pass.
    I wouldn't bet on that...I suspect there will be significant overlap between the two passes. And honestly, why not be part of multiple multi-pass options? Multiple ways to drive people to your resort isn't a bad thing.

Considering that Telluride is having another shitty season, I imagine that this was done, in part, for survival. If you don't know what I am talking about, Utah and most of Colorado is in another terrible drought. Telluride has only had 65" of snow for the entire season and is skiing on a 30-40" base.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information