Epic Pass just got more Epic - Page 11

AlpineZone

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    You can't get rid of the road. You can ban personal vehicles from it, but emergency response including fire and EMS need to be able to travel up and down the road. As BenedictGomez mentions too, unless public transit ran 24/7, staff and others will need to be able to get to/from in the off hours. Also, what about mountaineers and backcountry skiers who want to park at 4am to start a long, technical uphill?

Again, banning personal cars and forcing people to use some public transit solution is one option. Tolls or 100% paid parking (with some proceeds going towards improving public transit) is another solution where vehicles are allowed, but the increased costs mean less people end up driving. I will say that the increased costs may impact locals more than tourists. If I'm a tourist, who cares about $20 to park when I've already spent way, way more than that to fly there, rent a hotel, eat meals, etc. If paid parking/tolls ends up costing quite a bit, you might also see more demand for the on-mountain lodging options, which, given the inability to add supply, will drive up prices for the Cliff Lodge, Goldminer's Daughter, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    How many days per season do these avalanche road closures occur, is it really a big problem that's routine, or is it only a big problem if it happens to happen to you one of the 8 days per 208 day ski season?
    As many days as powder days, I'm told.

(I'm not local, thetrailboss might have have more concrete numbers as to how many powder days the Cottonwoods have in a season).

My understanding (and my experience) is, every time there's significant snow, they need to do avalanche mitigation on the cliffs along the road. So the road is closed.

So it's every powder day. I've actually been there for maybe only 3 storm days. One we sat at the canyon mouth waiting for it to open. One we decided to go to Big Cottonwood instead. Both worked out. But the 3rd time, I sat in traffic for about an hour before bailing to Park City. In that last incident (2 years ago). I couldn't get close enough to even divert to BCC.

I like it! A second UT option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    It's possible that info could be in the MTN 10k, but my suspicion is it would be intentionally amalgamated rather than broken out due to both competitive reasons & negotiative reasons.
    So I poked around in their 10K, and as I suspected it's not broken out, but only tacitly mentioned.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    As many days as powder days, I'm told.

(I'm not local, thetrailboss might have have more concrete numbers as to how many powder days the Cottonwoods have in a season).

My understanding (and my experience) is, every time there's significant snow, they need to do avalanche mitigation on the cliffs along the road. So the road is closed.

So it's every powder day. I've actually been there for maybe only 3 storm days. One we sat at the canyon mouth waiting for it to open. One we decided to go to Big Cottonwood instead. Both worked out. But the 3rd time, I sat in traffic for about an hour before bailing to Park City. In that last incident (2 years ago). I couldn't get close enough to even divert to BCC.
    So it depends.

This season we are having a GREAT snow year. They have had A LOT of problems with LCC. It has impacted my skiing 3 days...out of 17 so far. But it is aggravating because my daughter is in ski camp at Snowbird and it cost a lot of coin. The problem is exactly what someone said--the problem is that they close the road usually from 6-8am or so. Have to be at the mountain at 9am for ski school? You need to leave SLC like at 6:30am or 7am and then sit in line on the road to the Canyon for an hour, 90 minutes, or more before driving up en masse with everyone else. If you leave at even 7:15 you can be stuck for much longer.

Then the drive down can be a mess if everyone leaves at the same time.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Funny, but I would still take that over the 5 hour drive to Stowe. But its something that needs to be addressed at some point...cause its only getting worse.
    Soon they will be saying "Alta..no one skis there..its too crowded"
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Funny, but I would still take that over the 5 hour drive to Stowe. But its something that needs to be addressed at some point...cause its only getting worse.
    Soon they will be saying "Alta..no one skis there..its too crowded"
    Although I sympathize with the road situation in LCC and BCC, and sincerely hope that change happens soon, skiing is still so much more accessible in Utah, and frankly in Denver too on I-70, than it is for people like me who have to drive over 2 hours just to get to the NH resorts and 3.5 hours to get to the northern vermont resorts from Mass. And if it's a powder day and the roads are not great, it could take quite a bit longer to get anywhere.

shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post

But A-basin just got better!!! So long crowds!!

"Well, they called him Super Skier,
    As he sat around the sundeck,
    For he swore that he would never take a spill.
    When they finally brought him down
    They had to use three toboggans
    To carry all the pieces down the hill."
    --Chad Mitchell Trio

Thread Information