• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

The Sneak

Ugh
S’posed to be going to Stratton Tuesday...will it be a rink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

It rained in SoVT today unfortunately. But it looks like mid VT and north escaped. At least, based on what I saw on the radar.

Was starting to rain in Sugarbush today as I was leaving around 11:30. Temps were hovering right around freezing so not sure how that impacted the mountain. I skied a couple hours first thing this morning. Top half of the mountain was still in great shape with lots of soft snow and powder still around. Bottom half was frozen pretty solid from Saturday's warmup and non-snow at lower elevations. Maybe further north fared better today.

Saturday was great at all elevations...so it is a shame that mother nature is being such a bitch this year... I was at Mt Ellen at Saturday. Trails were in great shape, even lower elevation naturals like Semi-tough and Lower FIS were skiing really well.

drjeff

Ugh
S’posed to be going to Stratton Tuesday...will it be a rink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The transition from dry and soft to wet happened at Stratton late morning on Saturday. While I was 10 miles as the bird flys South at Mount Snow today, it was all rain and mid to upper 30's - doubt it was all winter at Stratton....

Lots of base depths at Stratton, and even if they don't fire up their snowmaking system when temps return likely Monday late morning, their groomers are as good as any fleet in the industry, and by Tuesday with midweek crowds, you're likely looking at GOOD machine groomed snow over much of the mountain and not enough crowds to scrape it all off short of the entrance areas of a couple main lifts.

Trees and bumps, probably not very good until it snows another 6" without another melt/freeze....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

I'll provide an update on Stratton at some point today. At least my wife and I are getting one day on the hill for our 3 day weekend.

It certainly rained at Stratton yesterday. We took a ride to Manchester and it was all rain up there too unfortunately.

machski

Sunday River was all snow and soft powder on Saturday. Sunday was still soft (mostly) but Aurora was weird, all ungroomed was frozen a bit. Weird as balance East was soft as was Jordan/Oz. Rain held off til just after noon time and then it was very light til about 2. Great weekend, likely the last one for a while.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

After today's rain, where to go next weekend? I am thinking far northern VT. More than 4 hours driving is a bit tough for me but...
Probably won't help, looking like the only area spared this week may be Quebec City areas. Not even sure Tremblant stays out of the mess at this point.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Friends at Tremblant said they were getting freezing rain last night; hoping it would turn to snow overnight.

VTKilarney

It looks fairly safe to say that February will be a month with consistent freeze/thaw cycles.

And to think that just a couple of years ago we had one of the longest periods on record without a thaw.

bdfreetuna

Hoping things soften up enough for MRG on Wednesday... already bought my ticket $14. From that point I'm flexible as to where to do Day 2, or just go home if it pours.

FBGM

It looks fairly safe to say that February will be a month with consistent freeze/thaw cycles.

And to think that just a couple of years ago we had one of the longest periods on record without a thaw.

Thanks Trump.

Get the water skiz. Lol rainz.

bdfreetuna

Making vague inflammatory posts which inevitably spark a climate change debate on AlpineZone?

NOT COOL.

The science is settled!

:snow::argue::slap::flag::beer:

sull1102

I'll provide an update on Stratton at some point today. At least my wife and I are getting one day on the hill for our 3 day weekend.

It certainly rained at Stratton yesterday. We took a ride to Manchester and it was all rain up there too unfortunately.
How was it today?

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Burke was ugly today, especially on the lower half of the mountain. I took two runs and left.