• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

tnt1234

Forecast really can't look much worse for the weekend. Little bit of snow showing up Stowe and north. Maybe that moves a little south by the end of the week....

cdskier

At least I probably won't be disappointed by missing VT this weekend (I usually skip this weekend and let one of my cousin's use my condo with his family).

My typical plan for one of the days over the holiday weekend is a day trip to Platty or Belleayre...need to wait a bit and see whether it will be worth spending the money on a day ticket for either of those places depending on what is open and what conditions would be like.

The Sneak

I'll provide an update on Stratton at some point today. At least my wife and I are getting one day on the hill for our 3 day weekend.

It certainly rained at Stratton yesterday. We took a ride to Manchester and it was all rain up there too unfortunately.

Well, I bailed on Stratton today. Never did hear anything about conditions yesterday. How was it?

Glenn

Sorry guys, never had a chance to post a TR.

Lots of cookies on the trails. From what I read Sunday evening, they wouldn't be able to groom until around 2-3AM. Unfortunately, it showed. I'll post more details in the trips forum. Maybe today is better if they had a full night of grooming.

drjeff

Sorry guys, never had a chance to post a TR.

Lots of cookies on the trails. From what I read Sunday evening, they wouldn't be able to groom until around 2-3AM. Unfortunately, it showed. I'll post more details in the trips forum. Maybe today is better if they had a full night of grooming.

More than anything this year, the timing of the warm to cold events has been awful!! The freeze up often happening within a couple of hours of first chair, so there's no real time to let the snow set up, dry a bit, and then get a couple of passes with the groomers over the terrain before opening bell, and then add in the fact that many times these events have happened just before a holiday weekend....

Hopefully though the rumors of a favorable pattern shift about 10 days from now to one that in favorable for cold and snowy events will materialize and set us us for a great March and beyond!

gladerider

after nearly 20 years of making a week long family ski trips on president's day week, i think this is going to be my last. need to find a better week.
terrible weather in the last few years and this year is going to be bad as well.
started going to jay peak in the last 4-5 years to improve my chances, but was not too lucky with that strategy either.
this year we are heading up to the big K starting Friday, but it is looking pretty bad so far.

think i am going to head up to tremblant on a different week or go out to the rockies.

Jcb890

after nearly 20 years of making a week long family ski trips on president's day week, i think this is going to be my last. need to find a better week.
terrible weather in the last few years and this year is going to be bad as well.
started going to jay peak in the last 4-5 years to improve my chances, but was not too lucky with that strategy either.
this year we are heading up to the big K starting Friday, but it is looking pretty bad so far.

think i am going to head up to tremblant on a different week or go out to the rockies.
For years we did a family weekend trip up to Killington in March. The past 3-4 seasons the weather has been mostly crap when we have gone. We switched it up and did a trip to Mt. Snow last weekend and it rained. :lol:
What can you do, right?!

Pez

I have the first week off in March. was planning to go up to N Conway for most of it. Now I'm not sure, so I've put off booking a condo. I'm still going to take the week off, but maybe I'll just do a couple day trips instead.

Last edited:

machski

More than anything this year, the timing of the warm to cold events has been awful!! The freeze up often happening within a couple of hours of first chair, so there's no real time to let the snow set up, dry a bit, and then get a couple of passes with the groomers over the terrain before opening bell, and then add in the fact that many times these events have happened just before a holiday weekend....

Hopefully though the rumors of a favorable pattern shift about 10 days from now to one that in favorable for cold and snowy events will materialize and set us us for a great March and beyond!
Would be nice, we've seen some big March-Aprils to close out an otherwise meh year, but not for some time. Would be nice for those of us core skiers, but will be too late for resorts bottom lines.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

The weekend doesn't look bad on the latest runs but the middle of next week doesn't look good, Obviously this all could change. The lows are just running north of the NE. need the pattern to change where the lows go across south of us and ride up the coast.

Edd

Anyone hit Loon or Sunapee in the last couple of days? Deciding between them for tomorrow. Leaning towards Sunapee for the quicker drive and slightly warmer temps.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Jcb890

Anyone hit Loon or Sunapee in the last couple of days? Deciding between them for tomorrow. Leaning towards Sunapee for the quicker drive and slightly warmer temps.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
Loon was in pretty good shape Super Bowl Sunday (2/4), but haven't been back since. Debating heading up there this weekend.

Glenn

This is really similar to last year. We had a ton of snow by President's weekend; then it all melted. Heck, our good friends in VT were sugaring in February last year...and using 4wheelers and UTVs to collect the sap. Then we got hit with a few good storms in March. I remember burying my snowmobile in the woods behind my buddy's house in March of 2017. Oops. That was fun to dig out.

Edd

Loon was in pretty good shape Super Bowl Sunday (2/4), but haven't been back since. Debating heading up there this weekend.

Hoo, brother, Loon on Prez weekend with little natural snow cannot be a pleasant experience.

Jcb890

Hoo, brother, Loon on Prez weekend with little natural snow cannot be a pleasant experience.
Yeah, I'm still undecided... the wife has some plans on Saturday I think, so I was thinking of going somewhere on the MAX and Loon is the closest. I'd be in the singles line which might help some, but still, not ideal. I was also toying with the idea of Pico or Okemo instead. But again, Loon is closest.

Thinking about Sunday River this weekend on the MAX too, but trying to figure out schedules, plans and whatnot.

Loaf Nut

I was at Loon Saturday. Solid base in the woods, and they surprisingly let most of the trails under East Basin Chair bump up. Never waited more than 5 mins in line. It must be a skating rink now, though. Can’t imagine Sunday River is any better.

Jcb890

I was at Loon Saturday. Solid base in the woods, and they surprisingly let most of the trails under East Basin Chair bump up. Never waited more than 5 mins in line. It must be a skating rink now, though. Can’t imagine Sunday River is any better.
5 min wait on a Saturday?! Wow. Was that all day or afternoon?

gladerider

The weekend doesn't look bad on the latest runs but the middle of next week doesn't look good, Obviously this all could change. The lows are just running north of the NE. need the pattern to change where the lows go across south of us and ride up the coast.

hoping for the best. planning to head up friday and come home after skiing tuesday.
K reported nearly 3 feet of snow before this rain disaster. not working out for a flatlander like me.
heard next monday, the prez day may be dicey. fingers crossed.

Bosco DaSkia

Time for a refresh.......

This season has delivered job security for snowmaking......

IMG_4326.jpg
IMG_4329.jpg
IMG_4332.jpg
IMG_4336.jpg

gittin' it ready for the folks.....

:cool:

kingslug

Have to go to Stowe this weekend but the weather looks downright aweful. Friday 35 with a mix..then 2 degrees..guess I won't bother skiing Saturday..can't imagine the Carnage..