• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

Jcb890

I don't know about you guys, but my standards for "not sucking" are a little bit higher than not being able to see out of my goggles or getting soaked by rain while riding.

Here's to hoping somewhere in New England is spared... Killington? Sunday River?

sankaty

I'm currently not too worried about rain on Saturday for at least central VT northward. Both the GFS and Euro show a 1000-500MB thickness of 537 for the Rutland area at 1PM Saturday. If that's correct, I can't see any precip being anything but snow at 2000ft or higher with that air mass in early Feb, but I guess anything is possible. The GFS sounding shows the column below freezing except for at the very surface, where it gets to 34F. Models frequently overdo surface warmth in these scenarios, and I think that's what is happening here.

Sunday is a different story. Hopefully things trend either a little colder or dryer, which is a distinct possibility with a little luck.

BTW, skied Stratton today and the snow was fantastic. The new snow was quite dense, which was just what the mountain needed. The woods skied great. The half hour or so of sleet yesterday afternoon was not detectable in the snowpack.

BenedictGomez

00z model runs of GFS and NAM are out, and as I feared, the trend gets worse. :(

Need that trend to STOP and get no worse from here. Also, the 4 to 6 inches tomorrow night looks like it's probably only going to be an inch or two now. Not much good news to report, hopefully it trends colder tomorrow.

tnt1234

00z model runs of GFS and NAM are out, and as I feared, the trend gets worse. :(

Need that trend to STOP and get no worse from here. Also, the 4 to 6 inches tomorrow night looks like it's probably only going to be an inch or two now. Not much good news to report, hopefully it trends colder tomorrow.

darn it.

Looks considerably worse for the holiday. Rain Sat night > Sun, Several days well above freezing then temps in the 20s for the weekend. Crap.

Maybe the summits will fare better....

Glenn

What's it looking for Sunday in SoVT? Is this an all day event? I'm not liking what NWS Albany is saying for rain totals Sunday.

KustyTheKlown

im locked in to gore. weather.gov has it getting 2-4 tonight and 1-3 tomorrow, but sunday looks like a mess. haven't peaked at the gfs yet today.

BenedictGomez

Mid-day models not as dire as last night, save the Canadian.

GFS & NAM show big improvement for northern areas, in fact, if NAM is correct those places fare fine. The Canuck still wants you to stay home all weekend & do early spring cleaning, so hopefully that model is too warm & greatly overdoing the rain. Probably wouldn't risk anything south of an imaginal horizontal'ish line from Gore/Killington/Whaleback'ish IMO, and I'd go farther north than those if you can to be safer. My 2¢.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

yea, we have a hotel in lake George and will definitely ski gore tomorrow, it should be quite good. trying to convince the crew to go up to whiteface sunday, but the driver is probably gonna be very opposed to going further north on sunday. we'll see.

BenedictGomez

yea, we have a hotel in lake George and will definitely ski gore tomorrow, it should be quite good. trying to convince the crew to go up to whiteface sunday, but the driver is probably gonna be very opposed to going further north on sunday. we'll see.

That's a no-brainer given the Olympics is going on. Well worth the hour & 15 minute drive. Saturday night you could watch men's downhill live in any of the bars/restos in Lake Placid, it will be awesome.

Smellytele

Mid-day models not as dire as last night, save the Canadian.

GFS & NAM show big improvement for northern areas, in fact, if NAM is correct those places fare fine. The Canuck still wants you to stay home all weekend & do early spring cleaning, so hopefully that model is too warm & greatly overdoing the rain. Probably wouldn't risk anything south of an imaginal horizontal'ish line from Gore/Killington/Whaleback'ish IMO, and I'd go farther north than those if you can to be safer. My 2¢.

Saturday looks better - Sunday looks worse

KustyTheKlown

That's a no-brainer given the Olympics is going on. Well worth the hour & 15 minute drive. Saturday night you could watch men's downhill live in any of the bars/restos in Lake Placid, it will be awesome.

our lake george hotel is Friday and Saturday nights and no cancellations/refunds unfortunately. buddy booked it, not me. we should have gotten a room in placid Saturday night, but whatever. I'm not driving this weekend, but offered the person supplying the car that I will drive us to whiteface on sunday morning. short enough drive, and elevation and latitude will matter sunday.