• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

SnowRock

Taking my nephews up to VT for the first time tomorrow... we will be based in manchester, was thinking with all this snow that we would do Magic Saturday and then Stratton or Okemo sunday so they could see two very different places and I could still get some nice laps in.

Its been a bit since Ive been to Magic, with all the work excited to see face-lift and have to imagine that even if Saturday is crowded for Magic, its still a very different crowd scale right?

urungus

That admittedly stinks, given it's slated to be crowded to begin with and it's the only chair running. Still, I've never been to Magic, so I think I'll just do it anyway. Mini-adventure.

You are in for a treat! Don’t forget to hit the outdoor Sunshine Corner bar (if it is open) on the Wand trail.

Glenn

NWS Totals:

VERMONT

...Bennington County...
Woodford 36.0 607 AM 3/08 WeatherNet6
4 E Woodford State P 35.0 639 AM 3/08 Utility Company
Searsburg 32.5 420 AM 3/08 Dept of Highways
Peru 28.0 730 AM 3/08 Facebook
Landgrove 25.0 623 AM 3/08 WeatherNet6
East Dorset 11.0 750 AM 3/08 Facebook
1 ENE Manchester Cen 10.0 1110 PM 3/07 Amateur Radio
Bennington 8.9 915 PM 3/07 Facebook
West Arlington 6.0 503 AM 3/08 WeatherNet6

...Windham County...
Londonderry 30.0 800 AM 3/08 Facebook
West Wardsboro 27.0 940 AM 3/08 Facebook
Wilmington 25.0 627 AM 3/08 Utility Company
West Dover 21.0 200 AM 3/08 Facebook
Windham 20.0 300 AM 3/08 Facebook
4 SW Newfane 18.0 820 AM 3/08 Public
Townshend 13.8 830 AM 3/08 Trained Spotter
Newfane 12.0 715 AM 3/08 Facebook
4 W Westminster 11.5 1030 AM 3/08 Trained Spotter
Brattleboro 11.5 820 AM 3/08 Public

BenedictGomez

Definitely skiing Magic Saturday, should I ski there Sunday too or is nearby Bromley worth checking out?

You are in for a treat! Don’t forget to hit the outdoor Sunshine Corner bar (if it is open) on the Wand trail.

A bar on a trail? That sounds intriguing.

drjeff

I'm guessing that for basically everyone from Okemo on South in SoVT, that if this Saturday isn't the busiest day of the season, it's going to easily be a top 3 day business wise for the year. 2 big storms in a week, decent looking temps, and nothing that should present any real travel issues, plus some pent up demand from what was a less than stellar month of February, and most kids spring sports programs down in the flatlands either haven't started yet, or are so recently started that missing a day or 2 of practice vs grabbing a ski day with great snow conditions will be an easy decision to make....

Abominable

nearby Bromley worth checking out?

If you've never been? Definitely; it might be my favorite in S VT (for reason partly nostalgic, partly skiing). Especially if current forecast holds, and you're getting some sun, after a long day in Magic's trees it'll nice to bomb some groomers and ski the east side moguls (Blue Ribbon). Limited trees, but just a real fun mountain, great family vibe. Magic is that wild girl that parties almost a little too much for you; Stratton is that good looking but kind of spoiled, boring girl that drives the Mercedes SUV; Bromley is that kick ass girl that captains the lacrosse team and will do a keg stand, but not in her dress. She's All-American!

Glenn

I'm guessing that for basically everyone from Okemo on South in SoVT, that if this Saturday isn't the busiest day of the season, it's going to easily be a top 3 day business wise for the year. 2 big storms in a week, decent looking temps, and nothing that should present any real travel issues, plus some pent up demand from what was a less than stellar month of February, and most kids spring sports programs down in the flatlands either haven't started yet, or are so recently started that missing a day or 2 of practice vs grabbing a ski day with great snow conditions will be an easy decision to make....

Plus, nothing helps send people up north, like a fresh coating of snow in the flatlands!

We'll probably ski on Sunday when the hoopla dies down a bit. We will hopefully be taking the sleds out on Saturday. Should be enough snow to get out there and possibly get stuck on a hill somewhere in the middle of the woods. I'm good at that after a big storm.

:lol:

WJenness

Damn! This storm delivered in SoVT! The Greens at least. I'd say maybe a foot just north of Bratt? But it's snowing again there...and again at Stratton and Mt. Snow.

So I guess the woods are back in play for this weekend in the Southern Greens. :lol:

They were in play LAST weekend... At Stratton, anyway.

They should be outstanding this weekend!

-w

kingslug

Meh... I'd much rather have 1,500 feet of epic vertical, than 2,300 feet of okay vertical.

The 3 to 5 inches is not equivalent to the 41 to 50 the Cats and s.Vt got in the last 6 days. And s.VT is slated to get just as much snow as n.VT over the next few days if not more, so I see no reason to drive to n.VT when conditions are so much better in Cats & s.VT.
Yeah..just trying to convince myself. Bought the damn condo so the wife wants to go up there or I would hit S VT.
Think Mt snow will be a madhouse..might be able to convince her to go there as she used to like it. Hit that first then Stowe.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Magic is that wild girl that parties almost a little too much for you; Stratton is that good looking but kind of spoiled, boring girl that drives the Mercedes SUV; Bromley is that kick ass girl that captains the lacrosse team and will do a keg stand, but not in her dress. She's All-American!

Next time someone asks for SoVt skiind advice I'm posting this^^^

Really clarifies the terrain/vibe at each of these places EXACTLY!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Magic is that wild girl that parties almost a little too much for you; Stratton is that good looking but kind of spoiled, boring girl that drives the Mercedes SUV; Bromley is that kick ass girl that captains the lacrosse team and will do a keg stand, but not in her dress. She's All-American!

This is funny.

Sent from my Pixel XL using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

FWIW just drove from Magic to Barre -- yeah I only lasted 9 to 2 on the deepest day in memory -- but did not want to burn my legs out completely as I have 2 more days to ski.

Rumors of this storm not hitting northern VT well seem unsubstantiated, at least to me, it's still snowing up here heavily and some pretty serious squalls on I-89.

I will be at Mad River Glen tomorrow which I expect will have near 18" by then -- since they reported 10" first thing this morning, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that doubled by tomorrow morning.

Was gonna talk about Magic today but I have some pics so I'll put it in Trip Report section.

MommaBear

So I guess the woods are back in play for this weekend in the Southern Greens. :lol:
Definitely. Along with all the hoots and hollers in the Trials at Snow, I overhead "the woods are fucking amazing and "THIS does not suck." I agreed with both. :snow:

tnt1234

FWIW just drove from Magic to Barre -- yeah I only lasted 9 to 2 on the deepest day in memory -- but did not want to burn my legs out completely as I have 2 more days to ski.

Rumors of this storm not hitting northern VT well seem unsubstantiated, at least to me, it's still snowing up here heavily and some pretty serious squalls on I-89.

I will be at Mad River Glen tomorrow which I expect will have near 18" by then -- since they reported 10" first thing this morning, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that doubled by tomorrow morning.

Was gonna talk about Magic today but I have some pics so I'll put it in Trip Report section.

I'll be at MRG with one daughter saturday. Can't wait.