How do you train for ski season? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    At work, I'll exclusively go to the bathroom on the 6th floor twice a day. That 1000 steps per week right there.
    I work on the 7th floor and never take the elevator. Coming, going, meetings, lunch, etc... all stairs. I dont know if it makes a whit of difference, but psychologically I'd like to think it somehow does.

President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I work on the 7th floor and never take the elevator. Coming, going, meetings, lunch, etc... all stairs. I dont know if it makes a whit of difference, but psychologically I'd like to think it somehow does.
    It most certainly does.

Bought a Nordic trac for $5.00 at a yard sale. I have it set on max incline and wedged the tension strap for extra resistance . I have 5lb leg weights to simulate some boot weight. Been so busy with work haven’t been on it for a while .
    "Make Greenland Green again"

Yup..stairs is key. My job i climb 40 to 50 flights a day, walk 12 to 20 thousand steps..so i guess that helps. But nothing beats skiing. Early season skiing is key..gets you in shape for the real deal. And hell, as long as you stop once in a while the group will catch up.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

I walk daily and lunch and run at the gym twice week. In the warmer months, it's a lot of outside yard work activities.
    SoVT

I walk close to 3 miles a day between work and walking the dogs, plus I work in construction so Im constantly up and down ladders and stairs, I basically go to the gym with purpose 7 hours a day 5 days a week lol

You guys ski too hard.

I never have a problem going top to bottom, whatever the total vert. At least not with any fatigue issues. (I may stop to take photos or admire the scenery). If I can't keep up with someone, it's because they're just better skiers.

I do bike commute all summer long. And that continues partway into the winter until it eventually gets cold (and snowy). But at that point, I'd be skiing ("real" skiing) already. Maybe that helps.
    Last edited by abc; Feb 3, 2018 at 3:43 PM.

There's not much that will work as well as just skiing.

The best skiing shape I've ever been in was the season I started with 4 days in Colorado, nothing else has even come close.

The owner of the local ski shop is a ultra marathon runner, xc skier and triathlete and he was telling me how it doesn't matter how good of shape he is in, it still takes a few days on the hill for his legs to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    The owner of the local ski shop is a ultra marathon runner, xc skier and triathlete and he was telling me how it doesn't matter how good of shape he is in, it still takes a few days on the hill for his legs to come back.
    I've done several Ironman and I will go as far as saying that it was detrimental to my skiing.

Anything uphill (stairs, bike, run) will help, but only if you work with 1-2 minutes hard intervals. Long EZ 2 hour runs do nothing for skiing. With skiing you deal with rapid lactic acid buildup (anaerobic component), and ultra distance training does not help much with that. It's better than beer and TV but not by much.

Thread Information