• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you train for ski season?

da-bum

After a few seasons where on the next day after skiing, I would not be able to walk down stairs for the next 3 or so days, or if I mistakenly went on a multi-day trip before enough day trips, where I wouldn't be able to make hard turns much, hoping for clear skies and hard pack so I just keep doing straight down runs with minimal turns. I decided to pre-condition myself for the season.

I was doing some spin classes, but the way they teach emphasizing high cadence instead of resistance, is useless, even with what they call sprints. I tried to do additional conditioning by going hard for 10min on stairmasters. It probably didn't help as much (although I felt it the next day) because its hard to go anaerobic til exhaustion on them due to the danger of coming to a stop on it. Then found out a coworker was walking up the 14flrs in our high rise office bldg after lunch (with each flr being in the 25 or so steps), did a few of those slow walks, then switched to a full run and record my time and heart rate over time. Did that for a while, then starting using citibike bike share on part of my trip to/from work and sometimes during lunch. I'll go full out on it, and if gearing allows, go slightly overgear so as to work on the quads. Now I also go on much bigger gear during spin classes and do sprints as if I am on 53x14 instead of the chain has fallen off gear that the instructors seem to want people to be on.

Now I don't have problems on the 2nd day of skiing, even early in the season, nor are there much lactic acid buildup by the time I stop at my usual recovery spots mid mountain. I could continue on and ski all the way down the trail if I want to feel the burn, but the burns from those longer runs are different because it also comes with less control.

kingslug

I've found that anaerobic works well. Deadlifts... A lot of people don't realize whatg an impact smashing down a mountain has on their body, until later of course. Need a lot of strength to take those kinds of hits. My friends are starting to get hurt more often from it. Just see how a racer trains. It works.

SkiFanE

I've found that anaerobic works well. Deadlifts... A lot of people don't realize whatg an impact smashing down a mountain has on their body, until later of course. Need a lot of strength to take those kinds of hits. My friends are starting to get hurt more often from it. Just see how a racer trains. It works.
I follow Lindsey Vonn and Julia Mancuso and those gals are strong. Very interesting to see how much balance plays a part of their workout. Once Lindsey was on a balance ball and taking a jump up while her trainer was pushing her from the side to get her off balance. Just jumping on the ball is tough but to have the fine muscle strength to do what she did was amazing. They're also doing strength exercises with lots of weight. I'm in my 50s and ski 50+ days year, and beyond a knee twist and one muscle pull, in all these years I've never had an injury. Yet I'm no picture of body perfection. But I will say - I have always been active in something at all times my entire life. A body just can't be sedentary, period. When I can't do anything "real" I walk and climb stairs. I was a sprinter in HS, never liked distances, probably why I can still crush bumps all day without a problem, was built for power. My bones, tendons, ligaments and muscles are all conditioned. Now I am sure to stretch every day for 5 minutes. I get my entire body from toe to scalp in alignment and stretched tall. Feels so good afterwards. The antidote for a desk job - a spine gets soggy at a desk.

Just move every day, all year your entire life. There is no "off" season.

Betty White was asked a couple years ago (when she was 95) how she stays so young. She said she has always lived in a two story house. She climbs upstairs to get something, forgets by the time she gets there, goes downstairs, remembers and has to climb back up. Lol.

drjeff

Just move every day, all year your entire life. There is no "off" season.

This is especially critical as you get older.

Bingo!!! I strive for 30 minutes of dedicated exercise/activity per day. I force myself to keep a log of my exercise routine each day. I know that I can't just say that I'll workout and then not hold myself accountable, hence why I keep a log of what I do. Just keep moving, and especially stretching throughout the aging process.

In my teens, 20's and the first half of my 30's, I used to think that weights, and lifting heavier amounts, was key. Hands down now that I'm late 40's, I understand that in many cases increased flexibility is probably more important for long term fitness benefits than shear muscle mass. In reality, I probably would of done more yoga based stretching work starting 20+ years ago, had I understood how one's body ages and what that can mean towards one's enjoyment of not just skiing, but many general day to day activities...

mccleaks

Sounds like the consensus is basically just to ski a lot. And some high intensity type training, preferably on an incline or up some stairs. Does anyone have advice on recovery? I know after my first few trips of the season my legs will still be a little tired by the next Saturday when I am headed back up North. This goes away by mid season. So "ski more" helps, but are there any other tricks to help muscles recover after a weekend on the hill? I know next to nothing about training and nutrition. So maybe there is something simple I could do like a change in diet after skiing or something?

kingslug

The "new" way to work out is aerobic and anaerobic combined. Crossfit, or a few steps down what my Gym call Bfit uses this method. Lots of reps and sometimes a max rep. You'll know its working when you can ski 6 days in a row and not really feel it..well too much. Depends on where you are. 6 days at Jackson is my limit but I felt I could go much longer at Vail. And climb those stairs, avoid the escalator..just keep moving..Tequila for later.

teleo

Stairs, leg blasters (google it), some yoga for balance and a ton of stretching as I get older all help.

But chasing my 12 yr old and her friends skiing moguls and trees works way better and is way more fun!

Edd

Here’s a ski conditioning program to attend. It seems to be in Scarsdale, NY but this website sure isn’t making that obvious.

https://www.shredfitny.com/contact

If this was in my area I’d go. I need a kick in the ass.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
Here’s a ski conditioning program to attend. It seems to be in Scarsdale, NY but this website sure isn’t making that obvious.

https://www.shredfitny.com/contact

If this was in my area I’d go. I need a kick in the ass.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

If it's in Scarsdale it's probably not cheap.

Although the Weaver Street part of town is more commercial.

drjeff

Currently in week 4 of a 10 week "slim down" challenge that my local YMCA is offering. Lots of cardio (running, walking, stationary bike) with added strength training workouts (at least 3 a week of those with upper and lower body focused workouts). Definitely something different and more substantial that what I would usually do this time of year. And having it paired together as a team with my wife and 2 neighbors and the use of a My Zone heart rate monitor belt that tracks and records calories, effort points, etc, which help with our teams weekly score, gets my competitive side going and keeps pushing me to do those extra reps of strength training and extra minutes of cardio!

Almost 20lbs of weight loss the last month isn't a bad thing either!

skiur

16oz is nothing, Ive been bench pressing kegs.

KustyTheKlown

this hit my email yesterday, but honestly, reading it makes me want to vomit

https://www.wagnerskis.com/journal/...m_medium=General&utm_campaign=6-week ski prep

last year i hit the gym for some max incline jogging and stair mastering, with silverton and mandatory hiking in mind. it was miserable. won't do again. i do some squats and wallsits, but mostly i ski myself into shape. not the best, but i really loathe the gym. i've been really bad about cycling and hiking this off-season. i am fat.

Cornhead

The best way to get in ski shape is to ski... alot. I've let myself go the last few years, but ironically my knees have never felt better. Maybe they're getting more nutrients? Greasy food lubing them up?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app