How do you train for ski season? - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Watch ski videos and stare at the Nordic track . Didn't do shit for weight loss or conditioning except get my heart rate up .

Warren miller "Seizure Fest " is almost here . They could learn a lesson from this video you don't have to change scenes every nano second to make a descent ski film .
    Groundhog day lets go skiing !

Got myself a personal trainer 1/2 mile from my house. Expensive but I've dropped 20 lbs. Knows his stuff. A lot of it is diet..get rid of the carbs..don't eat in the morning and lift fairly heavy weights. Split squats are just dandy...
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Hike a lot. In the past 6 weekends I have hiked Mt Mansfield, Camel's Hump and Burnt Rock Mountain in VT and Mt Garfield in NH plus a lot of other woods hikes closer to home in MA.

I was hiking 3.5 miles a day with a 20lb kettle bell carrying it a variety of ways did that for a month til my work schedule got in the way.

so I started going to the gym 4 nights a week doing heavy lifting plus 30-40 min on either the bike or treadmill and doing the hike the 3 days I could. 2 weeks ago I upped the kettle bell to 35lb. Oh and I skateboard about 2 miles a day in Manhattan 5 days a week for work.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Got myself a personal trainer 1/2 mile from my house. Expensive but I've dropped 20 lbs. Knows his stuff. A lot of it is diet..get rid of the carbs..don't eat in the morning and lift fairly heavy weights. Split squats are just dandy...
    I've always heard you should eat in the morning to get your metabolism going. Did he explain the theory behind not eating in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by asnowmobiler View Post
    I've always heard you should eat in the morning to get your metabolism going. Did he explain the theory behind not eating in the morning?
    You need to let it come up naturally with activity VS shocking it into action with food, water is the first and only thing you should put In Your body for 2-3 hours after waking

Your metabolism is always going. Its called intermittent fasting. You stop eating at 7pm and don't eat again until 11 or noon. You have 2 gas tanks..body fat and whatever you eat. When gas tank A ( food) is done you switch to tank B and burn body fat. Takes a little while to get used to it but it works. Fasting has been around forever. Limiting carbs and sugar is key..especially sugar which is pretty much poison..not that I don't eat it. I find it impossible to get rid of it completely..its whats killing us but its like a drug..way more addictive than coke..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

I've done 16/8 before, and just started it again this fall. It works great.

For me, not being a big breakfast guy anyway, it's pretty easy.

To be honest, I know everyone hypes the fact that your body re learns how to metabolize fat efficiently, but I think most of the benefits arise from not eating after 7 or 8 or whatever your window is. 95% of my problem eating or drinking happens after that (bad desserts, excess alcohol, etc). Eliminating that reduces overall calories substantially IME

Sent from my SM-G973U using AlpineZone mobile app

Four years ago I lost 90 Lbs doing a low Carb diet, now I gained about 60 back and having trouble dropping it again.
    Losing all the weight was the reason I got back into skiing after 20 plus years, I finally felt athletic enough and energetic enough to enjoy skiing.
    I'm eating very few carbs, but I'm sure I'm still taking in too many calories from the hot bar at Whole Foods and the Vodka after work.

Quote Originally Posted by asnowmobiler View Post
    Four years ago I lost 90 Lbs doing a low Carb diet, now I gained about 60 back and having trouble dropping it again.
    Losing all the weight was the reason I got back into skiing after 20 plus years, I finally felt athletic enough and energetic enough to enjoy skiing.
    I'm eating very few carbs, but I'm sure I'm still taking in too many calories from the hot bar at Whole Foods and the Vodka after work.
    Try switching to a keto based diet, also one of the biggest things overlooked period is hydration, staying hydrated will allow your body to work at itís optimal level while alleviating most of the symptoms people donít attribute to dehydration but will use as an excuse to remain stagnant.

The biggest roadblock is the mental one, everyone makes excuses about not having time,$, energy etc. but itís all bullshit. Itís hard to look in the mirror and be unhappy with what you see and even harder to call yourself on your bullshit and admit that youíre your own worst enemy. It can also be the single most empowering moment of your life realizing that only you can stop you and thereís nothing else in your way.

Thread Information