• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you train for ski season?

kingslug

I know this has been brought up many times but this is a bit different, I think.
Most of us work out in some way for one reason or another but if you go out west where the vertical is much longer, what do you do to deal with that? I keep it simple and just bomb the longest runs I can non stop to at least get me ready for 4K vertical places. And it does work. A lot of people ski 500 to maybe 1K vert then stop. They then get used to it and they automatically stop then . On 4K vert mountains that can make for a pretty long run. Even worse is trying to keep up with the western locals..they will leave you. My trip to Vail was interesting as I could pretty much bomb top to bottom non stop while the rest of the group where pretty wiped half way down, all of us from the East, even in bumps. I do this so I can try to keep up with people I know who live in these areas when I do ski with them. HIT training really works.
Just wondering.

fbrissette

Specificity is key. Ski, ski, ski and ski some more.

Since most of us can't ski enough, when I go out west, I'll do a lot of stairs climbs. At work, I'll exclusively go to the bathroom on the 6th floor twice a day. That 1000 steps per week right there.

Other than that, I have a 1-hour leg-oriented suspension training workout which I religiously do once a week. And lots of backcountry skiing.

Nonetheless, stair climb and uphill skiing are no perfect substitute for actual skiing.

On another note, I've been out west dozens of time, and I never went more than 1k vertical without stopping (with the exception of taking the green square run on last run, in which case I've done 4-5k vertical a few times, but that's not real skiing). I can't see doing long vertical out west on a real run. What's the point ? The group will get separated and no time to enjoy the scenery.

SkiFanE

Ski. From October/Nov thru Apr/May. People laugh at people like me whobski the WROD - so much driving for a ribbon of snow. But whether it's a ribbon or mountain - ski muscles get same workout. By the time the real snow flies I'm in great ski shape. I bike off season a decent amount - I have what I think are technical trails in my 'hood - dodging rocks and roots going a good clip is decent core workout. I really don't ever feel out of ski shape honestly. I get a sore lower back a couple days after first day - but really nothing else. You just have to ski so much of the year that your body never really loses ski shape, IMO

KustyTheKlown

^for sure, my ski buddies never join me in November and December, but they huff and puff their way through the glades in January and February and I already have 20+ days skied and my legs and lungs are kicking ass

SkiFanE

^for sure, my ski buddies never join me in November and December, but they huff and puff their way through the glades in January and February and I already have 20+ days skied and my legs and lungs are kicking ass
Exactly - and another positive is Oct/Nov skiers are always the diehards, so no bitching about this condition or that...just so thankful another season is starting - and we're healthy enough to be there.

gnardawg

Run a fall marathon most years - gets you in PRIME ski condition

KustyTheKlown

Exactly - and another positive is Oct/Nov skiers are always the diehards, so no bitching about this condition or that...just so thankful another season is starting - and we're healthy enough to be there.

i find myself enjoying my chairlift chats way more, eye rolling way less, and fielding less questions about my semi-fat indie skis, in November, early December, April and May. 100%

BenedictGomez

At work, I'll exclusively go to the bathroom on the 6th floor twice a day. That 1000 steps per week right there.

I work on the 7th floor and never take the elevator. Coming, going, meetings, lunch, etc... all stairs. I dont know if it makes a whit of difference, but psychologically I'd like to think it somehow does.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Bought a Nordic trac for $5.00 at a yard sale. I have it set on max incline and wedged the tension strap for extra resistance . I have 5lb leg weights to simulate some boot weight. Been so busy with work haven’t been on it for a while .

kingslug

Yup..stairs is key. My job i climb 40 to 50 flights a day, walk 12 to 20 thousand steps..so i guess that helps. But nothing beats skiing. Early season skiing is key..gets you in shape for the real deal. And hell, as long as you stop once in a while the group will catch up.

Glenn

I walk daily and lunch and run at the gym twice week. In the warmer months, it's a lot of outside yard work activities.

Ol Dirty Noodle

I walk close to 3 miles a day between work and walking the dogs, plus I work in construction so I’m constantly up and down ladders and stairs, I basically go to the gym with purpose 7 hours a day 5 days a week lol

abc

You guys ski too hard. :)

I never have a problem going top to bottom, whatever the total vert. At least not with any fatigue issues. (I may stop to take photos or admire the scenery). If I can't keep up with someone, it's because they're just better skiers.

I do bike commute all summer long. And that continues partway into the winter until it eventually gets cold (and snowy). But at that point, I'd be skiing ("real" skiing) already. Maybe that helps.

Last edited:

ironhippy

There's not much that will work as well as just skiing.

The best skiing shape I've ever been in was the season I started with 4 days in Colorado, nothing else has even come close.

The owner of the local ski shop is a ultra marathon runner, xc skier and triathlete and he was telling me how it doesn't matter how good of shape he is in, it still takes a few days on the hill for his legs to come back.

fbrissette

The owner of the local ski shop is a ultra marathon runner, xc skier and triathlete and he was telling me how it doesn't matter how good of shape he is in, it still takes a few days on the hill for his legs to come back.

I've done several Ironman and I will go as far as saying that it was detrimental to my skiing.

Anything uphill (stairs, bike, run) will help, but only if you work with 1-2 minutes hard intervals. Long EZ 2 hour runs do nothing for skiing. With skiing you deal with rapid lactic acid buildup (anaerobic component), and ultra distance training does not help much with that. It's better than beer and TV but not by much.