• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mountain 2-4-18

legalskier

Arrived just after 10 with a few snowflakes greeting me as I turned onto the access road of the Summit Lodge. Found a parking space not far from the lodge- a good sign, as my hope was that most Eagles fans wouldn't be on the slopes today.
Unfortunately, that hope was dispelled almost immediately:
FullSizeRender(35).jpg
Still, it was less crowded than a typical Sunday this time of year. If I waited 4 minutes on any lift line it was a lot. Both the HSQ and high speed 6 pack were running, as were the double-double chairs by Main Street, maximizing my time on the snow. Meanwhile, the snowflakes turned into a full blown snow storm, lifting the spirits of everyone I rode with on the way back up. I was glad to have a hood on my jacket. Two trails were blocked off for racing until about 1 o'clock- Razor's Edge had slalom gates:
FullSizeRender(32).jpg
...and Dreamweaver hosted a snowboard cross event:
FullSizeRender(33).jpg
Lots of kids wearing "BMR" bibs were busy on the hill. By 2 o'clock the liftlines shrank to next to nothing- Eagles fans must have left. As the afternoon progressed the snow deepened- Blue easily picked up 3 inches. Switchback skied really well- I stuck to skier's left where the snow was sweet:
FullSizeRender(37).jpg
It's one of my favorite trails at Blue- a bit narrower and twisting, it's more like the trails you find up at Elk. The only bumps were on Main Street, but they were icy and cut deep, with some freshies perched on top. The berms on many trailsides had much better snow, providing a simulated bump experience. Blue Baumer Glades were open, a small but fun diversion:
IMG_3431(1).jpg
Around 3 the snow turned to hail that bounced off my jacket, then eventually to freezing rain (conditions were turning to mashed potatoes by then, with fog shrouding the upper mountain), which was odd because my car thermometer was reading 31 degrees as I returned to it around 4:30.
Blue is expecting a similar snow-to-rain event on Wednesday, hopefully picking up even more snow then.