• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah: How bad can it be?

BenedictGomez

Not to continue on with politics, but at least my taxes are not driven up to ridiculous amounts in Utah as they were in VT. I could not stand the other extreme either.

It's gotten worse since you left. Vermont now has a higher C.O.L. than does New Jersey, which is positively astounding.

jmgard

Wow... and I frequently complain about Mass's annoying liquor laws. I've lived in CA and NY, the two most regulation-happy states in the US, and they still let you buy beer at the gas station or the grocery store (and after 11pm, some of us want to relax after working a late shift you know...) while the puritan legacy lives on here even though it's not 1620 anymore. There's a reason I give most of my beer money to NH or VT instead of the liquor store monopoly down here. I think I'd go crazy in Utah. Tolerable enough for a vacation but I could never live in a place that restrictive...

Not to continue on with politics, but at least my taxes are not driven up to ridiculous amounts in Utah as they were in VT. I could not stand the other extreme either.

Yeah, aside from the alcohol laws and a few other things, I always thought that Utah was a fairly well-run state with a reasonable tax burden.

benski

[Utah] making it optional to stop at red lights.
So in Utah, you can run red light all you want as long as you don't get yourself killed? or are you talking about rights on red?

The Utah rule is crazy. I mean, they called Bud light hard liqueur. I typically avoid anything bellow 5% ABV if I am buying for myself and never bellow 4% ABV.

BenedictGomez

So in Utah, you can run red light all you want as long as you don't get yourself killed?

It's really not crazy at all. If you think about it, a lot of the west is flattish, and you can see for a LONG way. It's beyond dumb to sit a a red light for 3 minutes when you can see for 1/2 mile in every direction.

kingslug

You can buy all the wine you want..all the hardcore beer you want..all the booze you want..at the state run liquor store. No problem. No need to go to Wyoming or anywhere else. The politics on the other hand are truly weird.

tnt1234

You can buy all the wine you want..all the hardcore beer you want..all the booze you want..at the state run liquor store. No problem. No need to go to Wyoming or anywhere else. The politics on the other hand are truly weird.

but not at a bar, right?

ThinkSnow

Wow... and I frequently complain about Mass's annoying liquor laws. I've lived in CA and NY, the two most regulation-happy states in the US, and they still let you buy beer at the gas station or the grocery store (and after 11pm, some of us want to relax after working a late shift you know...) while the puritan legacy lives on here even though it's not 1620 anymore. There's a reason I give most of my beer money to NH or VT instead of the liquor store monopoly down here. I think I'd go crazy in Utah. Tolerable enough for a vacation but I could never live in a place that restrictive...
You can buy beer in MA grocery stores, just not all of them.

BenedictGomez

I only went into 1 Utah State liquor store, but I was finding "funny beers" with lower alcohol content than normal. The boxes and cans looked exactly the same, but the alcohol percentage was lower, so some (all?) breweries that sell in Utah manufacture special beer to sell in the state. Goose Island IPA is a "for instance" I can give, it should have 5.9% ABV, but the G.I. IPA on the shelf in Utah had a much lower alcohol content.

How is this calculated?

B.L.S. data.

VT & NJ are very comparable right now, some places in each state would be more, some places in each state would be less, which would likely shock many people. Most everything you buy in NJ is cheaper than it is in Vermont, it's the home prices in NJ that lifts NJ up high to be roughly equivalent.

Last edited:

Scruffy

but not at a bar, right?

Just ask for a bottle of beer at the bar if you're worried about ABV %. Honestly, I'v been a craft beer guy and home brewer since the 80's and I've skied Utah for decades and I've never had bad beer there. There are a lot of award winning craft beers brewed and sold in bars there, why worry about ABV? But I don't usually buy beer at grocery stores there for my condo or/motel room; I just go to good restaurants, pubs, or brew pubs and have always had good beer. I'm there to ski, not get drunk. Now, I'm sure some beer snobs will opine over the nuances of craft brews in Utah vs Vermont or elsewhere, but really why? Just enjoy the experience of being somewhere else in the world and skiing different terrain and snow.

BenedictGomez

I'm sure some beer snobs will opine over the nuances of craft brews in Utah vs Vermont or elsewhere, but really why?

Because they're stuck in 1998.

Vermont was one of the states at the forefront of the craft beer revolution in America, so early on it had some of the best offerings, but now there are great craft beers from just about every state in America (and some great Canuck offerings as well). In 20 short years this country went from one of the world places on earth for beer drinkers, to the best place on earth for beer drinkers.

Smellytele

I believe even in Colorado grocery stores sell beer but they are less in ABV then if you buy beer at a liquor store there. At least that is what I noticed in Breck.

Scruffy

Because they're stuck in 1998.

Vermont was one of the states at the forefront of the craft beer revolution in America, so early on it had some of the best offerings, but now there are great craft beers from just about every state in America (and some great Canuck offerings as well). In 20 short years this country went from one of the world places on earth for beer drinkers, to the best place on earth for beer drinkers.

So? Enjoy the snow, drink your Hill Farmstead, or Lawsons when you get back.

cdskier

The antiquated and inconsistent liquor laws in general in this country annoy me. The shipping laws for wine are absolutely insane in how much they vary from state to state.

That said, these laws wouldn't be a factor in where I choose to go skiing on vacation. Living in a place would be a different story...but for vacations I could deal with it since the primary goal would be the skiing itself.

kingslug

I go for the nuclear beers..9,10,11%. They have them. Russian imperial stouts, Golden Monkey. Get as drunk as you want..then ski like shit the next day.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So in Utah, you can run red light all you want as long as you don't get yourself killed? or are you talking about rights on red?

The Utah rule is crazy. I mean, they called Bud light hard liqueur. I typically avoid anything bellow 5% ABV if I am buying for myself and never bellow 4% ABV.

The proposal is that folks can stop, and if there is no oncoming traffic, just proceed. In any direction at a red light. Completely stupid.