• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nordic Skiing?

mikec142

I've never tried Nordic skiing. Thinking it would be a great way to get a workout and spend time outdoors when I'm stuck in the flatlands. Any thoughts on very, very reasonably priced gear? Used maybe? Don't want to spend much in case I hate it.

Actually, renting would be best to start, but wouldn't really know where to find that kind of stuff in NJ.

abc

High Point in New Jersey

Actually, renting would be best to start, but wouldn't really know where to find that kind of stuff in NJ.
If you can make it to New Paltz tomorrow, this: https://www.facebook.com/pg/skithegunks/events will do very nicely. Rental, intro-instruction, in a beautiful groomed trail network, all in a package!

That is, if the weather cooperates.

Last edited:

podunk77

I'd suggest renting the first time or two to see if you like it and will stick with it. If you try it this year and like it, keep an eye out for "ski swaps" early next year and you should be able to find some good stuff at reasonable prices.

I totally lucked out when I got my first gear...... showed up at someone's house to buy snowshoes they had on craigslist, and ended up also buying all their nordic gear (skis, boots, poles) for $60. We were the same shoe size, height and weight, so it really worked out. I don't think I'll ever love nordic the way I love alpine, but having almost totally given up alpine skiing on weekends due to the crowds, nordic and snowshoeing give me a nice alternative to still get outside and get some exercise on winter weekends. Good luck!

camberstick

If you buy right you can get a set of gear for under $200 and you'll have it forever.

Smellytele

I was lucky to have a friend who raced so I got hand me downs. 2 different types of X-country. Skate skiing is more of a workout but less versatile than traditional. Actually also backcountry which is beefier traditional. Also need to match bindings with boots (NNN,SNS and back country)

Scruffy

It's a great way to get out and get a workout and be out in nature. I just got back from a tour.

Used X-country skis are easy to find via craigslist and ebay, usually dirt cheap too.

You need to ask yourself what kind of x-country skiing you want to do: Classic - Kick and glide ( best for nature trails and golf courses), skate ( You'll need a groomed area to really enjoy skate skiing ), X-country downhill ( basically climbing up hills or small mountains and skiing down, usually through trees - need skills ). I personally do Classic kick and glide and X-country down hill. I've rented and tried skate skiing, and I liked it, but don't live close enough to a groomed area to pursue it-if I'm going to drive to a ski area, I prefer to Alpine.

You can just take a stab at it and go classic with some cheap used gear, or visit a good x-country ski area that offers both and lessons, like Garnet Hill in North Creek Adirondaks. They have good conditions for skate and classic. They can offer lessons and rentals, and advice for what gear to get for a newb.

twinplanx

I was lucky to have a friend who raced so I got hand me downs. 2 different types of X-country. Skate skiing is more of a workout but less versatile than traditional. Actually also backcountry which is beefier traditional. Also need to match bindings with boots (NNN,SNS and back country)
Can you explain the different binding types? I bought a pair of x-country skis at a yard sale, just need to get boots. The skis have a pin type binding at the toe. I'm not sure what these are called and I don't have a local ski shop to refer to. Not knowing what type of bindings you have makes internet shopping challenging.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Bumpsis

Definitely rent at first for a few times and see what you like, classical kick'n' glide vs. skate skis. Another guiding factor for buying your own equipment will be where will you XC most often, established XC ski centers vs getting into the woods and breaking your own trails.

Also, for the kick'n glide style, I would encourage you to perhaps consider waxable skis. Yes, it adds a bit of complexity to the process, learning how to wax and with what, but the advantage of a well waxed ski, especially on uphill sections is just awesome. On the other hand, since you're just starting out, it may be simpler to just go waxless.

rocks860

I did cross country skiing in high school and just had one ski for all styles, just have to wax it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warp Daddy

Rent first so you can see what you like . Mine are 40 yrs old have waxable and non waxable ( bs all skis need wax:smile:) still work great . Skied XC religiously for 25 yrs then got seriously into DH whwn i was 50 . But after 2 surgeries on same hip am now back with XC for awhile till i get new ( to me easier to get into ) DH boots

so yeah great conditioner , equipment lasts a loooooooooooong time so chooose wisely and rent for awhile

crank

3-pin bindings and boots are older and I believe you may still be able to find 3-pin boots online though there will not be many options. My xc gear is 30 years old and my 3-pin boots are held together with shoe goo and duct tape. The tape does add add some extra insulation and waterproofing though.

Modern skis are a little bit wider and shorter than the older style gear.

ShadyGrove

Definitely rent at first for a few times and see what you like, classical kick'n' glide vs. skate skis. Another guiding factor for buying your own equipment will be where will you XC most often, established XC ski centers vs getting into the woods and breaking your own trails.

Also, for the kick'n glide style, I would encourage you to perhaps consider waxable skis. Yes, it adds a bit of complexity to the process, learning how to wax and with what, but the advantage of a well waxed ski, especially on uphill sections is just awesome. On the other hand, since you're just starting out, it may be simpler to just go waxless.

Bumpsis has it right. Rent to try it out. Consider waxless to start.

Dress like you are going for a run or bike, not like you are riding lifts. You will warm up quickly.