• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

okemo or stratton over the holiday

gnardawg

I have to get out which is why I'm headed Okemo Monday. Inlaws watching my kid for us on Sunday night. Plan on heading to Jackson Gore and lapping that until crowds show and then move across to the other side. I'm staying in Woodstock for the night and could go to Killington but with the nats done it's going to be even more crowded there (I think).

I feel like typically Monday's of long weekends are pretty tame in terms of crowds because most people have to vacate their rentals.

Do you? I admit, I’m a crowd snob. But how important is it to ski this weekend, when it will be challenging to have a good time? If holiday weekends are it for you, then I get it but I don’t otherwise.

Jcb890

Debating the same myself... thinking about maybe Sunday River on Sunday, but if S. VT is going to get more snow maybe I'll check out Okemo or Pico. Stratton is out of the question, I can't stand the weekend crowds/clientele there.

tnt1234

Do you? I admit, I’m a crowd snob. But how important is it to ski this weekend, when it will be challenging to have a good time? If holiday weekends are it for you, then I get it but I don’t otherwise.

Yeah, it's one of the last weekend my youngest is free. Non-refundable room booked....we're skiing!

tnt1234

Debating the same myself... thinking about maybe Sunday River on Sunday, but if S. VT is going to get more snow maybe I'll check out Okemo or Pico. Stratton is out of the question, I can't stand the weekend crowds/clientele there.

Okemo has more base>summit lifts, right? So might be a little easier to get up and away....I realize I'm splitting hairs here, and it's just shades of misery we're talking about.

The other issue is, not to psched to spend $110 or so per ticket for uber crowds and poor conditions. Which makes Bromly a more attractive choice....Pico also, only an hour drive. Might be a better bet Saturday, then, if it snows Sat. night, hit Bromly, or Okemo then...

I don't know....I'm a jinx, is what it comes down to. Third time I booked a room to try to ski Magic. Never works out for me.

Jcb890

Okemo has more base>summit lifts, right? So might be a little easier to get up and away....I realize I'm splitting hairs here, and it's just shades of misery we're talking about.

The other issue is, not to psched to spend $110 or so per ticket for uber crowds and poor conditions. Which makes Bromly a more attractive choice....Pico also, only an hour drive. Might be a better bet Saturday, then, if it snows Sat. night, hit Bromly, or Okemo then...

I don't know....I'm a jinx, is what it comes down to. Third time I booked a room to try to ski Magic. Never works out for me.
We're on the MAX Pass and our Peak Pass is blacked out this weekend, so MAX it is. I have the time off (per usual, we're weekend warriors) so we are going up this weekend also.

Monday still blacked out, but I'll be out solo since the wife has work and I have it off.

As for Okemo... I couldn't say. I haven't been to Okemo in 16 years - I had a bad accident there, wound up with internal bleeding and in VT ICU for a week, so I quit snowboarding for a while after that (took off about 12 years since I just got back into riding 4 seasons ago). And I still haven't been back to Okemo.

Maybe we'll give Pico a shot on Sunday. I would think it will be a lot less busy there... but how much less busy? I know it is smaller, so will it still feel as packed as a bigger mountain on Sunday?

benski

Not at all. At okemo you have to take a lift to get out of the base area, and a separate lift to service anything other than a large beginner hill. I think you can stay out of the base area easily for the entire day, though but I haven't been there in forever.

tnt1234

We're on the MAX Pass and our Peak Pass is blacked out this weekend, so MAX it is. I have the time off (per usual, we're weekend warriors) so we are going up this weekend also.

Monday still blacked out, but I'll be out solo since the wife has work and I have it off.

As for Okemo... I couldn't say. I haven't been to Okemo in 16 years - I had a bad accident there, wound up with internal bleeding and in VT ICU for a week, so I quit snowboarding for a while after that (took off about 12 years since I just got back into riding 4 seasons ago). And I still haven't been back to Okemo.

Maybe we'll give Pico a shot on Sunday. I would think it will be a lot less busy there... but how much less busy? I know it is smaller, so will it still feel as packed as a bigger mountain on Sunday?

Potential for snow Sat night> Sunday, though seems far from certain. Couple inches would be nice. See you out there, somewhere!

sull1102

Just hit Stratton today, base is holding up real well and they groomed the hell out of everything to actually put out a really nice surface. #1 rule for me would be wind. Gondola ran maybe 10-12:15 today and that was that, and it is farrrrrrr from the first time I've done a day there without the Gondi. If it's going to be even a little breezy I'd avoid Stratton most likely. AmEx will be overloaded getting out of the base, URSA will be a mess as always and worse without the Gondi. All being said you can easily hide from the crowd lapping Snow Bowl and going down to the Sunbowl.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

One thing to remember: If you know it's going to be busy, it helps. It's a lot worse when it's one of those random, non holiday weekends...and it seems like you're in line with just about everyone from out of state.

tnt1234

OK, crunch time here....

Magic looks decimated, Bromly has a bit open, but seems small (never been), Stratton...will be super packed, and I really don't like the terrain or layout, Okemo, also super crowded, but two top to bottom lifts and two pods away from the base, Pico....could be fun, but is an hour drive.

Okemo seems to have the edge.

And if we get some snow Saturday night, might try Bromly Sunday since they list a few glades open....or magic if it's a big dump...

We'll see!

HD333

With no snow I’d put another vote in for Okemo. They know what they are doing from a grooming point of view. If it’s going to suck I’d say it would suck less at Okemo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmcunni

okemo will likely have best conditions. if you accept the fact that it will be crowded and set expectations you'll be fine. others have said, get there early to get in your laps before it gets super crowded... easier said than done for some, my crew is not good at extra early mountain arrival.

skimagic

I hear ya on the its there or nowhere. Someone please wake up mother nature. (In the mountains preferably!)

It's the new Mother Nature taking over, She's gettin' us all

Enjoy the upcoming Okemo POW day or just head to Bromley, at least they have all of their expert runs open, a bit steeper than Okemos' , they also have a bumps but would be a bit firm by tomorrow

Last edited:

tnt1234

It's the new Mother Nature taking over, She's gettin' us all

[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Enjoy the upcoming Okemo POW day or just head to Bromley, at least they have all of their expert runs open, a bit steeper than Okemos' , they also have a bumps but would be a bit firm by tomorrow [/FONT]

Yeah, I think it's Okemo>Bromly for us....

Pez

Stratton will be a madhouse, and like others said if they aren't running the gondola it will be even worse.

It'd hit Bromely or Okemo.

NYDB

OK, crunch time here....

Magic looks decimated, Bromly has a bit open, but seems small (never been), Stratton...will be super packed, and I really don't like the terrain or layout, Okemo, also super crowded, but two top to bottom lifts and two pods away from the base, Pico....could be fun, but is an hour drive.

Okemo seems to have the edge.

And if we get some snow Saturday night, might try Bromly Sunday since they list a few glades open....or magic if it's a big dump...

We'll see!

If you are driving from Manchester I think pico and okemo would be similar driving distance no? And you wouldn't want to miss out on apre' in Rutland on the way back through. CJ's is the place.

tnt1234

If you are driving from Manchester I think pico and okemo would be similar driving distance no? And you wouldn't want to miss out on apre' in Rutland on the way back through. CJ's is the place.

Pico is a bit more.

Haven't been there for 30+ years...would be fun. Think they will be less crowded?