• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter snow making?

Creakyknees

Is Hunter and Mount Snow done making snow for the season? For the past few weeks Hunter has not written anything about snow making in the daily snow report.

drjeff

Is Hunter and Mount Snow done making snow for the season? For the past few weeks Hunter has not written anything about snow making in the daily snow report.
Not sure about Hunter, but I know Mount Snow is planning on some resurfacing ahead of Pres week, and possibly during Pres week as well. I would presume that Hunter is likely thinking the same thing.

As for Mount Snow, from having been on the hill yesterday, if they're not at their traditional core trail spring depths yet, they're quite close.

The West Lake snowmaking project frankly has changed the traditional snowmaking schedule for Mount Snow, as between the water pumping upgrade and the changing of so many air/water gun technology, they've made more snow, quicker, all over the mountain, than frankly we as skiers and riders are used to. They don't need to push it now to inefficiently make snow unless it's purely westher dictated, so they're efficiently looking at weather windows, knowing that they can run over 500 guns in about a 36hr window to resurface as needed.

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

legalskier

For Hunter you might send a PM to DMC a/k/a ''Funky Catskills,'' who shows up here on AZ every so often. I believe he lives right in town & has inside info. He rides there often but unfortunately doesn't provide us with TRs. If you find out please follow up here- I'd be interested in knowing too. Looks like several nights this week will be cold enough to turn the guns on.

danimals

Another year with no Westway?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Cover at Hunter is way thin. I think they'll do a quick resurface to placate the crowds on Friday. Weather has not been cooperative this season at all.

rtjcbrown

Haven't been to Hunter this season. Where are they in terms of that expansion (trails & lifts) below Belt Parkway?

Funky_Catskills

Asked some friends if they knew the snowmaking schedule...
Town is quiet - everyone is dealing with the death of David Slutzky's wife Jean..

I'll post when I hear something...

FBGM

Aw man, we spent way to much money on this big hole in the ground to make the snows. And no one else wants to give us money for green cards. I guess we should cut spending. No more making of the snows this year.

kingslug

Most people don't know how much it costs to blow snow. A bloody fortune. Considering what is going on there..both main lifts down..I would guess money is a bit of a problem.

cc1

Hunter snowmaking will never be the Snowmaking Capitol of the World anymore. Peak Resorts does not budget for snowmaking. They get by.

danimals

Hunter snowmaking will never be the Snowmaking Capitol of the World anymore. Peak Resorts does not budget for snowmaking. They get by.

When peaks took over JFBB, they turned snowmaking up to 11. Base depths deeper than my car on most trails for a few years. Lift served skiing in may jn PA. Then it stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

sull1102

I remember when Crotched first reopened and it was Peaks only resort out here in New England. They made snow like crazy with those fan guns and covered the whole place in something like 48hrs. And this was back in like 2006 if I'm remembering right. Then it stopped...

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

spk27alumni

One only needs to look up Broadway, on the Mid-Station Webcam, to get an understanding of the lack of base depth. The depth used to be almost to the top of the fences above the fan guns. The deep base used to allow that part of the Mainline to survive the Spring sun. Just like last Spring, Hellgate and Kennedy will be covered, but Broadway will be the weak link.