• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Missing Whiteface Skier Found..........

cdskier

Do you really believe that or just throwing out possibilities (which I do all the time myself)?

What I believe is that we don't have all the details and it is foolish to jump to the conclusion that it was some sort of intentional disappearance scam with 0 evidence to back that up. I also believe some sort of complete mental break is a very real possibility. Mental health issues are downplayed and ignored far too often for some reason. And that stigma only results in people that do have mental issues from being afraid of letting others around them (even loved ones) know.

AdironRider

There is plenty of evidence.

He showed up in Sacramento for one. This was national news that could have been prevented with a simple phone call.

He very well could have a mental illness, but being a firefighter, at least where I live, has physical fitness and mental requirements they mandate you see a doctor for every couple years, so I'm doubtful.

We were also talking about why his wife would stonewall, which doesn't really line up with the mental illness argument. If anything, she should be more apt to help if a mental illness is a factor.

Edd

Wearing ski boots for a week, though. I think we’re burying the lead here.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

cdskier

He showed up in Sacramento for one.

Wow...that's your evidence? Someone showing up in a completely different location with no recollection of how they got there is evidence that they did it intentionally and are lying? Pretty weak case...

This was national news that could have been prevented with a simple phone call.

If it wasn't for this forum, I would have never known about this. Not everyone watches the news every day.

He very well could have a mental illness, but being a firefighter, at least where I live, has physical fitness and mental requirements they mandate you see a doctor for every couple years, so I'm doubtful.

Sudden breaks don't require any history as JCB already pointed out.

We were also talking about why his wife would stonewall, which doesn't really line up with the mental illness argument. If anything, she should be more apt to help if a mental illness is a factor.

Like I said, unless you're in her shoes, you don't know what thoughts are going through her mind. I could speculate on dozens of reasons as to why she would be stonewalling, but they would be simply baseless speculation because I'm not her and don't know her. And again as I said earlier, is there even substantiated proof that she was uncooperative? This wasn't mentioned in any news story I read.

Jcb890

He showed up in Sacramento for one. This was national news that could have been prevented with a simple phone call.

Plenty of evidence of what? None of it makes any sense, we're just making guesses.

bdfreetuna

My wife says sounds like a dissociative fugue state. Which I guess is fancy words for what we're already discussing.

Hope the full story comes out.

AdironRider

Wow...that's your evidence? Someone showing up in a completely different location with no recollection of how they got there is evidence that they did it intentionally and are lying? Pretty weak case...

If it wasn't for this forum, I would have never known about this. Not everyone watches the news every day.

Sudden breaks don't require any history as JCB already pointed out.

Like I said, unless you're in her shoes, you don't know what thoughts are going through her mind. I could speculate on dozens of reasons as to why she would be stonewalling, but they would be simply baseless speculation because I'm not her and don't know her. And again as I said earlier, is there even substantiated proof that she was uncooperative? This wasn't mentioned in any news story I read.

1) Why would he be in Sacramento?

2) But you heard about it so my point stands.

3) You are relying on a very small possibility to uphold the sudden break argument. Given his profession, there is a good chance this would have been caught during a mental evaluation. Much more so than pretty much any other field.

4) Please, if your husband goes missing to do everything you can to find him. Unless you are getting a divorce I guess.

It's great you have empathy for the guy, but it is reliant upon what any critical thinking person would put as a very small possibility.

Jcb890

3) You are relying on a very small possibility to uphold the sudden break argument. Given his profession, there is a good chance this would have been caught during a mental evaluation. Much more so than pretty much any other field.

4) Please, if your husband goes missing to do everything you can to find him. Unless you are getting a divorce I guess.

It's great you have empathy for the guy, but it is reliant upon what any critical thinking person would put as a very small possibility.
I don't see anyone expressing empathy, only trying to figure things out because this is a confusing case. Most are aggravated/upset about the amount of money, time and resources devoted to the search for him when it was not necessary.

So, what is your hypothesis? You actually believe this was an attempt by this guy to fake his own death or to get away from his wife? That makes less than 0 sense. He was found STILL WEARING HIS SKIING GEAR FROM 5 DAYS PRIOR! That is not how you go unnoticed or stay under the radar. He also bought a phone and called his wife... not exactly the best way to get away from that person or fake your death.

AdironRider

Well coming up with the slim possibility of a snap mental break seems like empathetic excuse making does it not? Maybe excuse making is the wrong word, but its a reason that would be understandable and elicit empathy from most people with a soul.

I don't have a hypothesis other than it was nefarious.

cdskier

Who knows? Guessing and speculation is pointless. I prefer waiting until someone has real evidence and real facts.

Not really. I suspect most people in Sacramento don't visit AlpineZone and wouldn't have known who this guy was when they saw him walking around Sacramento. One of the articles even stated the police out there didn't believe him at first when he told them he was the missing skier from Whiteface. Using my example of only having seen this by virtue of visiting a ski forum where it is a relevant topic is hardly proof that this was "national news" that everyone should have known about and that could have been prevented with a simple phone call.

And what is the possibility that he did this intentionally? Are there stats that say intentionally running away while skiing is a more common occurrence than someone suddenly suffering some sort of mental break?

So you've personally been in this situation and know the stress involved and know exactly how you would react? And you still haven't answered my question about whether there is even proof that she wasn't helping...

It isn't empathy. It is simply called waiting for facts and real evidence before jumping to the conclusion that it was intentional. I'm not saying he definitely suffered a mental break. I'm simply saying that is a potential alternative hypothesis to the argument that it was intentional to show that is NOT the only logical conclusion. Right now the police have stated they have no reason to believe he is lying about not being able to remember the events from the previous 5 days. Until evidence shows up to dispute this, that's what you have to go with as the truth. Whether you believe the story about not remembering is irrelevant. There's simply no facts at this time to back up that the story is not true.

cdskier

I don't see anyone expressing empathy, only trying to figure things out because this is a confusing case. Most are aggravated/upset about the amount of money, time and resources devoted to the search for him when it was not necessary.

So, what is your hypothesis? You actually believe this was an attempt by this guy to fake his own death or to get away from his wife? That makes less than 0 sense. He was found STILL WEARING HIS SKIING GEAR FROM 5 DAYS PRIOR! That is not how you go unnoticed or stay under the radar. He also bought a phone and called his wife... not exactly the best way to get away from that person or fake your death.

Exactly...

CoolMike

There is a chance he was dazed and abducted and transported against his will. That seems to me at least as likely as a fugue state or a badly planned scam.

Jcb890

Well coming up with the slim possibility of a snap mental break seems like empathetic excuse making does it not? Maybe excuse making is the wrong word, but its a reason that would be understandable and elicit empathy from most people with a soul.

I don't have a hypothesis other than it was nefarious.
Nefarious how or why? Nothing was stolen, he's not some super rich guy either even.

There is a chance he was dazed and abducted and transported against his will. That seems to me at least as likely as a fugue state or a badly planned scam.
How is that as logical or likely? Nothing has been reported stolen. He's a former volunteer firefighter, so he's not rolling in cash or jewelry or any reason really to abduct him.

The scam angle doesn't make sense either.

cdskier

How is that as logical or likely? Nothing has been reported stolen. He's a former volunteer firefighter, so he's not rolling in cash or jewelry or any reason really to abduct him.

I think what he was saying was that all scenarios proposed so far are unlikely and the additional one he mentioned is just another (unlikely) possibility. I had actually thought of the kidnapping one too, but was trying to avoid further speculation with no evidence.

Overall, I think nearly any scenario someone comes up with is "unlikely" as this is just an incredibly bizarre situation with no logical explanation that immediately jumps out as "likely".

The thing that bothers me the most about many of the responses on this forum are that a lot of people immediately jumped to the "nefarious" conclusion. Too many pessimists here that only see the evil and bad in people.

If it turns out he did for some reason do this intentionally, then I would absolutely agree with people that he should be responsible for the costs of the search. But until there are real tangible facts to show this, we should not assume anything.

speden

I hope there's not a simple explanation for all this. Then it will make a good made for TV movie or Dateline episode!