• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's lifts...........or lack of now!!

sull1102

That 6 at mount Blow is nothing but problems as well. Id put the blames on Poma. Their stuff is junk. But the main blame game is on the lift maintenance at these resorts. Shit is scary. Don't catch me on that stuff sober.
LOL. The Bluebird is far, far, far from nothing but problems. How about the Sunburst over at Okemo that seems to be trouble free? Or the tons of other Poma's that run no problem day in day out thanks to proper maintenance.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

jmgard

LOL. The Bluebird is far, far, far from nothing but problems. How about the Sunburst over at Okemo that seems to be trouble free? Or the tons of other Poma's that run no problem day in day out thanks to proper maintenance.

Only problem with the Bluebird is line (especially singles line) management/nobody knowing how to count to 6... Grand Summit stops a lot more often but even including that it's usually much faster than waiting in the Bluebird line

catskillman

Wait...they charged full holiday pricing while all those lifts were down?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
yes the did. if you complained they gave out $20 credits.

I saw one girl running thru the lodge very excited that she got a fee cookie for being stuck on the F lift.....

millerm277

I didn't say that.. Complain all the F you want. Everyone I know has a season pass..
Everyone I know is frustrated. Just giving everyone another perspective.

It's not just customers that are suffering..
People that work at the mountain that actually do care are frustrated as well. They read this shit... It affects them..
People that own businesses are frustrated when people cancel reservations because they hear how ad people make this out to be.
I'm frankly just shocked at the constant negativity I see from my friends that call people that work at the mountain friends...
It really does affect them..

I don't think anyone reasonable is blaming the rank and file employees for issues. They do the best they can with the resources and direction they're given, same as anywhere.

Whether or not there are enough employees, resources, proper procedures, etc, lies at the hands of management.

The fault is either with poor management making this likely to happen (ex: skimping on maintenance) or a true "perfect storm" of unavoidable bad luck at a well run ski area.

I would be more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if there was more clarity on what exactly is going on. Instead, the communication from the mountain has felt evasive and forced.

Regarding "People that own businesses are frustrated when people cancel reservations because they hear how ad people make this out to be."....is it different than it looks? I mean, I love the West Side, but I'm not making a 2.5hr trip each way to Hunter and spending my $$$ and time to only ski that and below midstation, and I'd be really pissed to show up and find out that's going to be my day for any reason other than wind-hold. I need to know that the 6-pack or at least F-lift is going to be running before I'm going to commit to a day at Hunter.

Funky_Catskills

again - this is my perspective based upon living here and knowing people involved with the issue and people suffering from it..
I relay their pain... nothing more...

Bosco DaSkia

Flyer still running at half capacity and F still down. And yes, the report says they are charging $85 at the window. Although to be fair you could argue that they're not exactly hiding the fact that a couple lifts are down or not at full capacity. If you still choose to pay the price and ski, that's your choice. Is there a precedent for any other mountains offering discounts when key lifts are down? Even on days with wind holds at mountains on many lifts I can't recall discounted tickets being offered.

Yes there is, Windham dealt with this exact same situation earlier this year. They gave a very steep discount as detailed in this “skiing on the cheap” thread.

“Quote Originally Posted by ScottySkis View Post
https://www.potterbrothers.com/

Written by Isaac PerelsonOpening weekend at Plattekill, and this past Sunday, I finally made it out. Descending onto Meeker Hollow Road, I was welcomed by a bright, clear morning. Snow still clung to the windswept fields, and to every branch shouldering the road. The conditions seemed great.
Gearing up in the lodge, sunlight beamed in through the massive windows, lighting up the empty bar. There was only a handful of us – quickly getting ready, nodding to one another, eager to kick off a new season.

Save up tp $32.00 OFF your Holiday Week Lift Tickets at Potter Brothers. We offer discounts to ski areas in NY, MA and VT. These tickets are good anytime during the 17/18 Season. SHOP ALL LIFT TICKETS.
$115.00
$85.00
$30.00

Ski Area
Mtn Price
Our Price
Save
Buy Now

$68.00
$60.00
$8.00
Buy Now

$89.00
$69.00 $20.00 Buy Now

$83.00
$67.00
$17.00
Buy Now

$100.00
$72.00
$28.00
Buy Now

Looks like Windham is undercutting your price at the moment with a $66 deal due to lift problems. Save an extra $6.60 by buying online and you're now down to $59.40. Not bad if you don't mind the slower lift!

"Mountain Report | Windham Mountain Resort -

This morning's corduroy will soon be topped with 4" of fresh snow! It's just starting to fall and will continue to do so throughout the day, which means freshies all day! Enjoy 250 acres of open terrain across 41 trails, serviced by 7 lifts until 4pm Thursday. Groomers left their tracks on everything but Upper Warpath, Upper Wheelchair and The Wall early this morning. Snowmakers are back at it, focusing on completing the East Peak while continuing to build base depth on trails like Assembly Line and Lower Warpath on the West Peak. Expect a high of 18° this afternoon.
Whirlwind Express (A lift) will be closed today for repairs. Mechanics are working around the clock to get the lift up and running as soon as possible.

Tickets -

We recognize that not having one of our high speed lifts open is an inconvenience, therefore, lift ticket prices have been reduced. Prices through Friday 1/5 are: $66 for Adults, $51 for Youth, $54 for Seniors (65+), $47 for Seniors (75+), and $54 for College Students. Save 10% by purchasing your lift ticket in advance on our webstore, here. (Must purchase by 11:50pm the day before ticket date)."”

:cool:

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
So here's my 2 cents, I'm a mechanic, have zero experience with ski lifts. That being said a machine is a machine. Half capacity means the motor doesn't have the power to produce. So either the electricity is inefficient or the motor's burnt up, I saw them bringing what looked like a control panel after unloading it from a FedEx truck the other day, so I'll go with the motor. As for the F lift I think that motor (new/rebuilt one last year) is to small for the job. Since there's no word on the status of it at all, I'll assume it's done for the year like it was last year.

JUST MY GUESSTIMITE................

cc1

Hunter's F lift has been problematic all season..the B/D to F combo to summit and the shuttle to the Z lift on the west side are the backup plan if the 6 pack fails. Why wasn't the F lift issue addressed and fixed pronto, instead it's limped along all season, not running weekdays, and breaking down on weekends.

Z lift on the west side has it's reliability issues...and it services top expert terrain only...so in order to get a full run on the frontside one would have to wait in line, take the shuttle to Z lift (which was dropping people off far from the lift making them walk in ski boots), take Z to the top, ski down the front and do it all over again, roughly 40 minutes minimum at best for 1 run.

The 6 pack, from what I understand, is loading every other chair and running half power on auxillary, so what happens if that goes. Is that even safe?

It's obvious Peak Resorts is not helping the employees at Hunter Mountain with the funding they need to provide a quality skier experience, with good quality snowmaking, grooming, and lift maintenance. It's not the same Hunter Mountain this is for sure.

So that being said.....all of this is poor management.....POOR MANAGEMENT!
Ex. Jesse Boyd of Peak Resorts credited photo is posted on Hunter FB page stating they were making snow....the problem is they were making snow on the summit accesible trails which were NOT accesible because the summit lifts were down for days and they knew they were down the day the photo went up...dumb.

With the Z lift the only to summit working lift, on the expert serviced west side, they chose NOT to groom....why????

Lifts have broken before and they will break again....the Slutzkys got the parts they needed, the appropriate parts and fixed the problem because without working lifts, snow on the trails, and grooming that mountain is toast.

I leave the injury reports vs. past ownership for another day.

drjeff

Only problem with the Bluebird is line (especially singles line) management/nobody knowing how to count to 6... Grand Summit stops a lot more often but even including that it's usually much faster than waiting in the Bluebird line

You know what the common issue is in both of these, valid complaints, and it's not a maintenance issue, it's frankly CLUELESS people, who often ski/ride only a few times a year, who can't follow basic instructions, such as "how many in your group? 1 single from the right and 1 single from the left please!" and then to slide out, all the way to the loading line from the loading gates WHEN THEY OPEN, and then just sit down, instead of staring at the lift!!!

If a huge amount of the people who have loading/unloading issues with either the Bluebird or Grand Summit at Mount Snow had to ride say a poma, or a fixed grip lift that runs at full, 500ft per minute haul rope speed, we'd NEVER make it to the top of the lift!!!

Lack of basic common sense and ability to pay attention and follow SIMPLE instructions is a HUGE problem for most lift stoppages and lack of full chairs heading up!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Even with all the problems, 7000 tickets sold , I drove my car to the West Side and back 2 times. Was on the first six pack on Sunday morning. Had first tracks on Wayout, Purna and Clairs. Managed plenty of vertical.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180218-170319.jpg
    Screenshot_20180218-170319.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 139

Funky_Catskills

Even with all the problems, 7000 tickets sold , I drove my car to the West Side and back 2 times. Was on the first six pack on Sunday morning. Had first tracks on Wayout, Purna and Clairs. Managed plenty of vertical.

#killingit !

VTKilarney

Poma is having a bad week. This just came in from Burke:

UPDATE: Well, not so good news folks. We have a master electrician on their way from POMA themselves (the builders of the lift) to try and troubleshoot the radio silence we are receiving from the Mid Burke Lift. We're not sure what has caused the malfunction but we're working to figure it out. We don't have an ETA.

Smellytele

Poma is having a bad week. This just came in from Burke:

UPDATE: Well, not so good news folks. We have a master electrician on their way from POMA themselves (the builders of the lift) to try and troubleshoot the radio silence we are receiving from the Mid Burke Lift. We're not sure what has caused the malfunction but we're working to figure it out. We don't have an ETA.

And without the old quad they are basically dead in the water.

catskillman

Hunter said they would have a delayed opening at Hunter 1 today. Then at 11am they posted this!!

WTF is going on - no carpet for the beginners......./those poor poor instructors...and beginners.

[h=3]TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2018 AT 11:01AM[/h]Update - 9:25 AM: E-:Lift, and Carpet One will not open today.

cdskier

Hunter has discounted their tickets to non-holiday rates this week ($75 walk up per the report).

Crazy how many lift problems we seem to be hearing about this past week with some key lifts at several resorts.

Hawkshot99

Hunter has discounted their tickets to non-holiday rates this week ($75 walk up per the report).

Crazy how many lift problems we seem to be hearing about this past week with some key lifts at several resorts.
This was never a holiday week at Hunter. Peak resorts does holiday on presidents day, but not the week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app