• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The right short ski for intermediate skier

KustyTheKlown

::suppresses urge to be rude and condescending::

get skis that are an appropriate length for your height and weight, guy.

bdfreetuna

I am 6' and 170 lbs.

178cm is probably the correct recommendation if you are not a very good skier.

If you are a decent skier IMO 185 is the correct length. Mostly because once you are comfortable going fast you will start to appreciate a ski that is stable at higher speeds. And if you like skiing slow I would think you'd want one that goes in a straight line at least.

I am 6 foot and 195lbs currently. Weight doesn't matter, I've been anywhere between 150lbs and 220lbs and never thought to go less than 185. Height matters a bit more, your style of skiing matters the most.

I usually recommend planning to advance, if you are an intermediate, and not waste money on intermediate gear when you should be spending time on the fundamentals of proper skiing and perhaps even growing into some more advanced gear in some ways.

If your aspirations aren't that high maybe go mid 170s. If your legs are weak or you have some injury issues maybe go 170s.

I truly believe now that all mountain / freeride skis have more tip and tail rocker that basically you can add 5cm or more to what was considered skiable even 5 years ago. My 185cm Atomic Vantage 90 CTi turn on a dime, no matter what.

Boxtop Willie

This may be the instructor in me speaking, but taking a lesson (from someone experienced) might be a great first step. All skiers are different; skill levels, technique and preferred terrain are different. An instructor may be able to assess technique issues and address problems. Then demo, demo, demo. Lots of different skis out there. It's the ultimate personal decision. For me (PSIA L3, 5'10" 170) I ski short. I teach on a volkl race ski at 165, daily driver is the Salomon XDR 88 at a 172. It works for me. Clemson needs to figure out what personally works best. BTW, I'm finding the XDR a pretty impressive ski, in multiple conditions.

sankaty

178cm is probably the correct recommendation if you are not a very good skier.

There are plenty of good 6' skiers running 178cm skis. I'm one of them. They feel rock solid at any speed I care to drive them and float great in knee-deep snow so why go longer? I *hate* the sensation of the tails of my skis hitting a bump or tree behind me and knocking me off my line. For me, I prefer the shortest ski that feels stable. Obviously, this is a personal thing, but there is a pretty wide range that will work for people.

I'm also puzzled by the contention that weight shouldn't be a factor. At 145lbs, I will generate far less momentum that a ski has to counteract with effective edge or surface area compared to a much heavier skier. Why not go with a shorter ski that will fit in smaller places if I don't have the body mass to overdrive it under normal conditions?

I'm not saying everyone should ski short. But there is a pretty wide range of suitable lengths for good skiers depending on what kind of terrain folks are skiing, body type, skiing style, and personal preference. No need to stigmatize shorter skis for those that prefer them.

bdfreetuna

There are plenty of good 6' skiers running 178cm skis. I'm one of them. They feel rock solid at any speed I care to drive them and float great in knee-deep snow so why go longer? I *hate* the sensation of the tails of my skis hitting a bump or tree behind me and knocking me off my line. For me, I prefer the shortest ski that feels stable. Obviously, this is a personal thing, but there is a pretty wide range that will work for people.

Great point, especially recognizing your priorities. A couple weeks ago I was at Pico skiing some sidecountry and had to pop the 185s off in a couple gnarly sections because a jump turn was impossible due to length.

Not my favorite thing either, but I spend a lot more time skiing regular woods or trails at a good clip so the trade off doesn't work in my case. I don't like feeling squirrely when skiing at potentially dangerous speeds (if crash and slide into woods, etc).

I'm also puzzled by the contention that weight shouldn't be a factor. At 145lbs, I will generate far less momentum that a ski has to counteract with effective edge or surface area compared to a much heavier skier. Why not go with a shorter ski that will fit in smaller places if I don't have the body mass to overdrive it under normal conditions?

I don't think it's a non-factor. Just there is a wide range of weighted people that can handle and drive "full length" skis. Know your style and know your limits.

Scruffy

172-175cm. Something not too stiff, don't over ski yourself. Something about 80-88mm waist. An intermediate front side carver oriented ski.

Frankly, after reading your post, my suggestion for you is to rent/demo AND at the same time take a few lessons to make sure you're
form is allowing you to ski efficiently (the goal is to ski effortlessly), this will help with your fatigue. Also you can try a few different skis, and your ski instructor may have a suggestion about which ski once they see you ski and work with you. And, if you find something you like, you may be able to, since it's after president's day, either get a killer deal, or purchase the demo skis.

Right, as I said in the thread I have heard that all before, and though I greatly appreciate all the input, I am looking for input on specific short skis that have thin waste and stiffer front than the skis I have. I am not going longer than 160 .

Again, refer to my first post and all the other great advice you're getting for free, that you seem set on ignoring; respectfully, your logic is flawed.
You might have perceived from your limited experience that it is easier to turn short skis, that simply tells us that you're doing it wrong.
The wrong path for you is to continue investing in skis, short or long, without addressing the underlying issue. Take a few lessons and demo some skis before you spend anymore money on skis by shooting from the hip and guessing what you need; it will pay off for you in the long run. And we're all trying to help you here.

BTW, there are a hell of lot of skiers older than 50yo just starting skiing, infrequent skiers, and experienced skiers, and none of them, at your height or weight, are on 160cm skis, let along 147cm ( basically ski blades ). So, unless you're not telling us something about your health, or physically limitations we can't understand why you're being so recalcitrant.

Scruffy

. You got me thinking about some used slalom race skis though, perhaps too stiff but worth exploring.

Yeah, way too stiff for you at this point. Don't go there. I have plenty of ski friends that went that route before they had the skills to drive a race ski; they wasted too much time and money down that road.

bdfreetuna

i saw a guy in line ahead of me today, he as about 5'10" and was skiing on 150s... maybe it is a new trend?

Nope just a guy who went on a ski forum, asked a bunch of expert skiers for their opinions, and completely disregarded the consensus anyway.

mister moose

Nope just a guy who went on a ski forum, asked a bunch of expert skiers for their opinions, and completely disregarded the consensus anyway.

Uh, you ignored his (160cm) question, and then went on with your own expert opinion on longer skis.

sankaty

I did not have either of these happen when I was on even short skis last month, which I was pushing aggressively.

Seeing as you had such a great experience with the Salomon XDR in a 147, perhaps demoing those in a longer length would be a good place to start?

I'd be wary of gong the extra stiff route if ease of turn initiation is the priority. Stiffer skis will generally require more energy for turn initiation at slower speeds, though perhaps you should demo some and see how it feels to you.

gmcunni

Saw a ski instructor with some pretty short skis. I think they were 2018 Kastle MX84 which come in a 152 size.

John9

There is a guy I often see at Camelback bombing the diamonds on ski blades. To me it looks insane. I bomb the same runs, on 174s, and I'm a shade under 5"9.