• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington summer improvements

skiur

Whoa, that looks like a solid list of upgrades. Didn't see that coming. They didn't list any snow making upgrades, but maybe there will be some of that too. I think maybe I'll be heading to K more often next season.

Snowmaking isn't much of an issue at K.

canobie#1

Vagabond, Great Bear and Northstar are pretty much guaranteed to get snowmaking coverage on it now that there's a six pack there.

I'm sure other trails like conclusion will see better coverage on that side of the resort now too.

I'm still surprised that they went with a six pack! I feel like they would have been fine with just a express quad bubble. Ramshead would've been a better contender for a six pack (I'm sure thats in the works either way)

But I'm not complaining! So excited!

skiur

I could see the venerable Snowdon Triple being used as a Killington Ski Club/Killington Mtn school athlete's only lift when the new 6 pack is running. Since while the KMS/KSC athlete's will be getting a new, dedicated race training area with the moving of the Snowdon Poma over to Swirl on Ramshead, I'm guessing that they'll still use Highline and Conclusion as training venues as well

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Highline will still be closed for racing 85% of the time, conclusion has not been used for racing in 3 or 4 years. Nor have they made snow on it in 3 or 4 years, hopefully that changes now.

speden

Snowmaking isn't much of an issue at K.

True, but it seems like they still rely on some older tech guns that need a lot of compressed air, and they use those noisy diesel compressors to supply it.

I like the addition of RFID. It will save having to stop in the ticket office to get a day ticket. I like being able to buy a ticket online and go straight to the lifts. Hopefully it will work seamlessly with the IKON pass if I get that.

WoodCore

When they say their moving the Snowdon Poma to Rams Head and dedicating Swirl to training......Maybe that lift will access the true summit of Rams Head?

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Vagabond, Great Bear and Northstar are pretty much guaranteed to get snowmaking coverage on it now that there's a six pack there.

I'm sure other trails like conclusion will see better coverage on that side of the resort now too.

I'm still surprised that they went with a six pack! I feel like they would have been fine with just a express quad bubble. Ramshead would've been a better contender for a six pack (I'm sure thats in the works either way)

But I'm not complaining! So excited!
Maybe...maybe not. Killington is aware people like natural trails.

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

My contact over there say no immediate snowmaking expansion planned on Snowdon outside of actually using it on Conclusion. With the addition of Bunny Buster they feel downhill capacity will be fine.

The big question is Pipe Dream over on South Ridge...

Killingtime

After every season I get an email from Killington asking what improvements I would like to see. This exceeded all expectations.

bdfreetuna

Snowdon is good because it is underutilized. Uncrowded, always great snow.

That will no longer be the case with a bubble 6 pack.

True on weekends but on weekdays it's just going to mean not having to sit on a 12 minute ride or whatever it was.

Mostly ski Snowdon for the woods also.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This is fantastic! I'm all-for these improvements! This will change EVERYTHING about the way Killington skis (weekends at least). Here's why-

Access and desire to the "North Side" (K1, Snowdon, Ramsehead) increases exponentially with these improvements. Every single one of these improvements adds traffic to that side of the mountain. Snowdon 6 being the most obvious. But the South Ridge Quad, new K1 cabins, and return of the Snowshed Crossover all increase access to that side of the hill from the "south" side- something that was "relatively" contained by the limited capacity of the Skye Peak Quad.

I see lines at the Ramshead, Snowdon, and K1 lifts increasing, while the Skye Peak/Bear lifts see less traffic. And as a big fan of Bear, that's fine by me.

bdfreetuna

This is fantastic! I'm all-for these improvements! This will change EVERYTHING about the way Killington skis (weekends at least). Here's why-

The only potential negative I see is K-1 usually has the longest lines on weekends of any lift. Perhaps this will work to spread people out nicely.

I would probably take some laps on the South Ridge, and be excited to have the opportunity to do so again... basically another pod available to reduce overall traffic as well.

These improvements will only advance Killington's solid reputation and continue to exceed expectations IMO.