• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Berkshires - talk to me

podunk77

Not a ton of choices, but Butternut in Great Barrington and Catamount in Hilldale NY (right on the border) are probably your best and cheapest bets. Jiminy Peak is another, but personally I think they charge too much for what you get (i.e., not significantly better than Catamount, but twice the price).

LookinForTreeS

Berkshire East is closed today due to high winds and possible power outages... But that just means untouched fresh snow for Saturday!

Berkshire East is closed today due to high winds and possible power outages... But that just means untouched fresh snow for Saturday!

As is Butternut, Catamount etc. Smart move by these areas as the wind and variable conditions today would be sketchy. Tomorrow and into the early week should be quite nice. I'm thinking of Magic myself on Sunday. Sweet spot?

bdfreetuna

Nice Joy Behar

Best mountains in Mass are Jiminy Peak and Berkshire East. Berkshire East is a little more low key and lower priced with arguably better terrain so it has more fans around here.

Jiminy Peak is a surprisingly good mountain for MA as well but you may have a little crowding on the weekends.

Butternut is a fine mountain too as long as you only want to ski easy terrain. Fantastic place to learn and be a kid, or have a really mellow day otherwise.

Can't go wrong with any of these tomorrow although I'd recommend Berkshire East or Jiminy. It's likely that Jiminy Peak got more snow and less ice/mix/rain than Berkshire East. Jiminy will probably groom more of their trails while Berkshire East should have some "powder" options.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I always liked Catamount and Berkshire East. Both feature vertical drop a tick under 1,000 feet. Consistent pitch. Backside of Berkshire East has it's flatspots though if you're on a board. And at Catamount you'd essentially have to "bomb" Ridge to do it without unstrapping.

Jiminy Peak is not at all "low-key" in any sense of the word anywhere on or off of the hill. Base village, crowed green and blue trails.