• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 3/2/18

sankaty

It's been a little while since I've skied in a wire-to-wire snowstorm. Such fun! The wind and new snow were filling in tracks all day. The snow was dense, but not wet; perfect for covering the firm base. I few windblown areas, but also deep wind-sculpted drifts to play in. The afternoon snow report indicated 14" new, which seems plausible. Probably heading back tomorrow.

20180302_124335.jpg

I did briefly ski in the woods. Not unskiable, but treacherously thin. Didn't seem worth the risk with the trails in such good shape.

Glenn

Nice! Must have been awesome in the storm! We were there today. I hit a bit of powder just up from the tubing hill. I felt my skis hit the ground a few times. Opted to stay out of the woods. Felt good to have some winter back after the warmup last week.

sankaty

Spent more time in the woods yesterday after the trails started to deteriorate a bit. West Pilot was fun. It's big enough and low-angle enough that the obstacles were easily avoidable for the most part. Kidderbrook Ravine was rougher. Still skiable, but there was a root or rock in most of the obvious places to turn. If the fresh snow in the extended forecast materializes, I think the woods will be in decent shape over the next week or so.

Glenn

Agreed. If this one hits mid-week, it will really help things.

We were there yesterday. Less crowded and less skied off in spots. Some glare on the steeps in sections. But most of the mountain was a nice packed powder.