• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Peaks pass scam

asnowmobiler

It seems like every time I try to book a room at any of their locations online,they claim they have no rooms, but they can easily be booked though other sites for less than my supposed to be a discount price.
If I book through peaks site,I get a 10% discount + an 8% resort tax, that tax is not on any other site, so it’s always been cheaper not using my discount.

asnowmobiler

I tried that on several booking sites, there is no way to use the "discount". One time and was able to get a room at the Grand Summit, even though the site said nothing was available, then I had to jump through hoops to get my discount.
It just annoys me that they call it a perk, then don't want to honer it.

benski

I tried that on several booking sites, there is no way to use the "discount". One time and was able to get a room at the Grand Summit, even though the site said nothing was available, then I had to jump through hoops to get my discount.

Post a link. Peaks is offering this perk but you are probably looking at hotels or condos that are not being rented threw Peaks. I would guess you are looking at an independent inn, realtor or VRBO, which have no financial ties to Peaks.

asnowmobiler

I'm talking about Grand Summit ant Mt Snow and Kaatskill Mountain Lodge at Hunter, using the Mt Snow site and Hunter site.
Last night I tried to Book a room at Kaatskill on their site, the best price I could find was $250 a night, I booked it today for $150 for the same night but on Booking.com.

Jully

I was told flat out last year that the discount only applies to certain rooms that are marketed at full rate. The cheapest rooms (standard hotel and studios) and already discounted rooms don't qualify. I basically don't consider it a perk. If you put any effort into finding cheap rooms, you can beat the perk easily.

gmcunni

I was told flat out last year that the discount only applies to certain rooms that are marketed at full rate. The cheapest rooms (standard hotel and studios) and already discounted rooms don't qualify. I basically don't consider it a perk. If you put any effort into finding cheap rooms, you can beat the perk easily.

its just a bullet on a marketing slide.

xwhaler

I booked my wife and her friend 2 nights at the Attitash Grand Sumitt (they are going in a few wknds) and the woman on the phone taking my reservation could not have been nicer.
Told her we had passes and she gladly applied the 20% discount to any room I wanted.

Jully

I booked my wife and her friend 2 nights at the Attitash Grand Sumitt (they are going in a few wknds) and the woman on the phone taking my reservation could not have been nicer.
Told her we had passes and she gladly applied the 20% discount to any room I wanted.

Wow. That is awesome. Not what I experienced at the grand summit last year. I called asking about the discount on a room priced at $105 a night (studio or standard hotel, forget which). They said sorry, that room is too cheap to apply the discount. I said okay, how about the next room up (something like $120) and got the same response.

First room that the discount applied to was a deluxe or suite something for like $170 a night. This was for a random weekend in late March last year, so it wasn't like they were booked solid anyway.

Maybe they've changed the policy, which would be awesome. I haven't even bothered to look at the grant summit this year.

xwhaler

The room I booked was the standard hotel room (2 queen beds) at $145/night. They applied the 20% passholder discount from there.
Didn't ask about the less $ rooms as my wife wanted something bigger than a studio as she is traveling with one of her girl friends. However, this woman was so nice I got the sense it would not have been an issue.

Smellytele

Starting May 1st AGS will not be associated with Peaks and they will be controlling their own bookings

cc1

I'm talking about Grand Summit ant Mt Snow and Kaatskill Mountain Lodge at Hunter, using the Mt Snow site and Hunter site.
Last night I tried to Book a room at Kaatskill on their site, the best price I could find was $250 a night, I booked it today for $150 for the same night but on Booking.com.

They have a $99 deal, lift ticket and lodging for Kaatskill

asnowmobiler

Mid week and having the Peaks Pass doesn’t make for a good deal for a long weekend.
When I called a few weeks ago,they wouldn’t even take my reservation for a Saturday night Sunday night? I kept telling them that it’s a two night stay but it didn’t matter.
I understand a two night policy!but it was two nights.

They have a $99 deal, lift ticket and lodging for Kaatskill

njdiver85

Wouldn't really call this a scam, as your title indicates. This is typical marketing, where discounts are often off the list prices, and this applies to almost every industry I can think of. The fact you are complaining about this is a bit silly. I mean, how many times do we see, "take XX% of one "REGULARLY" priced item", and with a quick internet search find the same item available cheaper even without the discount?

sull1102

Remember that the way those discount sites work is not the same as calling directly. Those sites essentially buy X amount of rooms and then resell them. They can take a small hit to offload a couple.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

crystalmountainskier

Booking.com is a Priceline company. These sites specialize in offering unpublished and/or promotional rates for hotels. Just like a lift ticket these days, there are lots of different prices depending on when and how you book.

BenedictGomez

Wouldn't really call this a scam, as your title indicates. This is typical marketing, where discounts are often off the list prices, and this applies to almost every industry I can think of. The fact you are complaining about this is a bit silly. I mean, how many times do we see, "take XX% of one "REGULARLY" priced item", and with a quick internet search find the same item available cheaper even without the discount?

Okay, so it's not a scam, it's a tax on dumb people. Caveat emptor.