Completism - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completism

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    If you really want to be a completist, you need to ski *every run* at every mountain.
    Lifetime challenge accepted.

I'd really like to do that. Ski every marked run in New England and photo document it.

I absolutely love the off the beaten path places. I can honestly say my favorite ski day in the past five years was at Big Rock, Maine. I've obviously had better conditions and terrain than my day at Big Rock, but there was something so pure about that experience that you just don't get at major resorts.

This might make me a New England homer, but so be it, I'd rather "collect" New England ski trail runs than visits out West.

I think it would be amazing to have a photo album / journal of every single trail you've skied in New England.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post

I think it would be amazing to have a photo album / journal of every single trail you've skied in New England.

I do in my head. Well the ones I have done.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    I do in my head. Well the ones I have done.
    I do too. Having resided in VT, ME and NH for most of my life, I've skied almost all the major areas. The only 1k + vert ski areas I haven't been to in those states are Bromley, Middlebury, Dartmouth, The Balsams and Black Mountain of Maine. Most other places I've skied 60-70%+ of their terrain.

If I had the time though, I'd love to do something like head to Mt Jefferson in Lee, ME after a storm like we are about to get and ski it all.

http://skimtjefferson.com/trails/

It would make for a really cool coffee table / bathroom book series. The ski trails of New England.

Love the challenge...every trail you've skied in New England.

Here's a subset, how many of the NELSAP areas have you skied?
    My list, going way back:
    VT: Hinesburg, Ascutney, Fairlee, Mt Tom, Proctor, Hogback, Maple Valley, Haystack
    MA: Atlantic Forest, Boston Hill, Hamilton, Methuen, Prospect

I am sooooo old.

I was just looking at my 'to do' list and turns out that Granite Gorge no longer offers downhill skiing, just tubing and XC.

Sad to see an area, if not close, wane, but on the plus side I don't have to go to Keene to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I was just looking at my 'to do' list and turns out that Granite Gorge no longer offers downhill skiing, just tubing and XC.

Sad to see an area, if not close, wane, but on the plus side I don't have to go to Keene to check it out.
    Theyve had a lot of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Boxtop Willie View Post
    Love the challenge...every trail you've skied in New England.

Here's a subset, how many of the NELSAP areas have you skied?
    My list, going way back:
    VT: Hinesburg, Ascutney, Fairlee, Mt Tom, Proctor, Hogback, Maple Valley, Haystack
    MA: Atlantic Forest, Boston Hill, Hamilton, Methuen, Prospect

I am sooooo old.
    Haystack is not NELSAP, its just unfortunate.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post
    Had BillSki completed this?
    Whatever happened to that guy?

EDIT: Wait, actually IIRC didnt he bail on AZ due to trolls? Which is odd, because my perception of AZ is it's about the most troll-free forum on teh internetz.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Whatever happened to that guy?

EDIT: Wait, actually IIRC didnt he bail on AZ due to trolls? Which is odd, because my perception of AZ is it's about the most troll-free forum on teh internetz.
    Did it have to do with the flags at Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post
    Had BillSki completed this?
    Is BillSki ok?

I have skied at 85 North American ski areas, and a handful more in Europe. When trying to make a list of larger North American ski areas I havent been to yet, I feel like Im a long way from completeness, which is good. Even old guys dont like to think theyve hit the end of the line. Here are the bigger places in North America I have never been to:

WEST: Telluride, Crested Butte, Big Sky, Sun Valley, Mammoth, Mt. Hood Meadows, Purgatory/Durango, Sundance, Crystal Mtn, Bridger Bowl, Grand Targhee, Whitefish, Kicking Horse, Red Mtn, Whitewater, Castle, Fernie, Sun Peaks, Panorama
    (Hoping to knock off the first three later this winter.)

EAST: Mont Tremblant, Bretton Woods, Shawnee, Bromley

And then there is Europe, South America, and New Zealand. I dont have much interest in South America or New Zealand, but Id love to spend a few winters traveling around the Alps super scenic mtns and great cultures. An extended stay in the Alps is not going to happen, but I hope to get over there for a few shorter ski trips before Im done.

Actually, the near term goal Im shooting for the next few seasons is to ski one good place 100 times per winter.

Thread Information