• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain - 3/8/18

Bene288

No pictures. My pockets filled up with snow the first run so I ditched my phone.

Unreal conditions here today. So much so that I felt the need to post here after a 1-2 year hiatus.
Mountain is saying 24”, easily 30” + up top. 4-5’ drifts.
Lift line and it’s glades were the runs of the day. Waist deep anywhere you wanted it, face shots every run, any run.

Today was historic for Magic and all that were here. Easily the deepest and lightest poweder I’ve skied in the east and probably the country. The buzz here is fantastic, people are happy, BLT is slammed, the mountain is making money. All is good today at Magic Mountain

Glenn

Outstanding! Glad you got out!

I should have taken some days and gone up north. Certainly enjoyed the snow in the flatlands of CT. But having my car rear ended this morning wasn't fun. Live n learn!

bdfreetuna

Hey Bene288 I have some pics and was gonna post a TR, why don't I just do it here so we don't have a bunch of competing threads. I don't mean to hijack just consolidate !

Stayed 1/2 mile away at Snowdon Chalet, which is pretty decent for the price. A little noisy when the Ski The East kids arrived at 9:30 or so, but they didn't party all night. The good part about them being there is we'll probably get to watch a professionally shot video of today's skiing at Magic. Nice way to remember it -- at least I hope!

Had some of the best powder runs of all time at Magic today. Sorcerer first thing in the morning was like riding an elevator down the mountain. People laughing all day about getting stuck in various places. It was waist high and when skiing fresh lines on the steeps it was up to the chest. Never really stopped snowing and in fact was coming down fast when I called it a day.

I took very few pics because it was a very in the moment day, especially in the morning it was really just getting after it. Every lift ride up on Red Chair was good company and some hilarious conversations.

IDK about the snow totals but this seemed like way more snow than even after a 40" dump at Heavenly last year, which was also insanely good but a much lighter snow. The snow today was just great for crushing steeps. I can't say I've ever had such an absurdly good powder day. Seemed much deeper than the Valentine's Day storm last year for which I was also there.

Magic-3-8_01.jpg
Magic-3-8_02.jpg
Magic-3-8_03.jpg
Magic-3-8_04.jpg
Magic-3-8_05.jpg

Last edited:

Kleetus

Looking very forward to Saturday! Just wish I could have been there today. As I wish for any pow day when I'm stuck at work and can't get out.

Glad you guys got after it!

sankaty

Basically the same story at Mount Snow today. Woods were amazing! One of the few times I've skied Ripcord without hitting bottom.

Much of the front face is still untouched. Anyone who attempted to ski the untracked powder on the gentler pitches of the main face just got trapped.