• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Glen - 3/9/18 - day of the year so far

bdfreetuna

Seems strange to say, but there was no doubt about it. Day of the year.

How can that possibly be when I was at Magic for the storm of the year(decade?) yesterday ?

Well, conditions were about 4" of fluff on top of 12" of fresh on top of 6" of before that which hadn't turned to ice.

"Riding the elevator" at Magic was one thing. And very glad to have that memory. But I got in 3x as many runs today, conditions were awesome, and I never got stuck (joke for those at Magic yesterday). Still skiing untracked powder.

It's a whole different way of skiing with a totally different feedback. For me, I get as much satisfaction running a nice zipper on some bumps, or taking the fall line with short turns, or surfing through some bermy woods.

Anyway.. started off on Single... Lynx, Fall Line, Fall > Dise
Single line started getting long... Double time...

Spent most of the day really enjoying the Sunny Side as there was no lines and the woods were so fresh. Ended up taking a couple rides with MRG employee Mark (shout out) ... took one excellent run in some trees way past Patridge and ended up top of Birdland. Fresh, steep, tight. Mark gave me really great accurate directions to some other stashes, so I spent a couple hours after that remembering his directions and scoring all these great woods stashes.

Maybe I should mention this is probably my 6th time at MRG and only about half those times were good conditions.

Eventually as the day goes on start to feel like breaks between runs is OK, so get back in the single line for more runs.
Lower Antelope was really fluffy. I took that new-on-the-map "Donkey" tree run that connects Chute to the bottom of Catamount Bowl. It's basically a narrow, sideways-through-the-woods thing. Not really tricky at all, but a fun thing to check out.

Ended the day with some runs over on Quacky side of double... Quacky woods were great. Took a thing into the woods and randomly come across a sign, in the woods already mind you, "Craig's Run <><>". Great, I thought MRG didn't have any double diamonds :lol: . Turned out to be a little hairy but great snow.

Legs lasted exactly 9:00 - 2:00 with a 15 minute lunch break.. called it a day. Day 3 on tap tomorrow. Not sure where I'm going yet.

MRG-3-9_00.jpgMRG-3-9_01.jpgMRG-3-9_02.jpgMRG-3-9_03.jpg

Last edited:
Drooling!!

Last couple of years I haven't hit it during the best conditions, but I remember when it's like this. No better terrain in the NE.

speden

Looks like they went from rags to riches. So far March is delivering.

bdfreetuna

Wonder if the wife woukd like the place..shes in groomer mode now.

IMO it's a really fun beginner hill because there is plenty of winding, narrow beginner trails. Even from the top of the single chair there's a couple easier ways down (Upper Antelope and Catamount). What makes it especially fun is there is short steeper and bumpy sections all over the place, tempting you. I could see an intermediate skier really expanding their comfort zone and having fun at the same time.

Obviously there would be a few trails to avoid but MRG is a fun experience just being there. If the skiing is actually good it's icing on the cake.

But if she's really in groomer mode I'm not gonna to mislead you into thinking there will be an abundance of groomed terrain. Most likely a one or two ways down the Single and some creative choices down the Double. If she's willing to do short bump sections her options will expand a bit.

Kleetus

Seems strange to say, but there was no doubt about it. Day of the year.

How can that possibly be when I was at Magic for the storm of the year(decade?) yesterday ?

Well, conditions were about 4" of fluff on top of 12" of fresh on top of 6" of before that which hadn't turned to ice.

"Riding the elevator" at Magic was one thing. And very glad to have that memory. But I got in 3x as many runs today, conditions were awesome, and I never got stuck (joke for those at Magic yesterday). Still skiing untracked powder.

It's a whole different way of skiing with a totally different feedback. For me, I get as much satisfaction running a nice zipper on some bumps, or taking the fall line with short turns, or surfing through some bermy woods.

Anyway.. started off on Single... Lynx, Fall Line, Fall > Dise
Single line started getting long... Double time...

Spent most of the day really enjoying the Sunny Side as there was no lines and the woods were so fresh. Ended up taking a couple rides with MRG employee Mark (shout out) ... took one excellent run in some trees way past Patridge and ended up top of Birdland. Fresh, steep, tight. Mark gave me really great accurate directions to some other stashes, so I spent a couple hours after that remembering his directions and scoring all these great woods stashes.

Maybe I should mention this is probably my 6th time at MRG and only about half those times were good conditions.

Eventually as the day goes on start to feel like breaks between runs is OK, so get back in the single line for more runs.
Lower Antelope was really fluffy. I took that new-on-the-map "Donkey" tree run that connects Chute to the bottom of Catamount Bowl. It's basically a narrow, sideways-through-the-woods thing. Not really tricky at all, but a fun thing to check out.

Ended the day with some runs over on Quacky side of double... Quacky woods were great. Took a thing into the woods and randomly come across a sign, in the woods already mind you, "Craig's Run <><>". Great, I thought MRG didn't have any double diamonds [emoji38] . Turned out to be a little hairy but great snow.

Legs lasted exactly 9:00 - 2:00 with a 15 minute lunch break.. called it a day. Day 3 on tap tomorrow. Not sure where I'm going yet.

View attachment 23471View attachment 23472View attachment 23473View attachment 23474
You sure you skied some trees way way off the skiers right of the Sunnyside double and partridge?

I think your dreaming. Nothing over there to ski. Just lots of impassable trees and brush. Don't go there. You'll hate it and won't be able to make it down.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app