• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jack Frost, PA, 3/13/2018 - VT-like conditions in the Poconos

Rowsdower

We had everything today: glades, cliffs, packed pow on the trails and a lot of spots on the sides that hadn't even gotten tracked up yet. Jackson Frost was practically empty today. I shared the east side of the mountain with maybe ten people, tops. Meant that you could find untracked powder in most of the glades even up until lunchtime.

Jack Frost/Big Boulder have posted that they've received 36 inches of snowfall in the last 7 days, and while that is something of an exaggeration, this place is definitely filled in about as much as it ever gets. The base they built up from the last two storms was topped off with a nice fluffy 4-6 inches overnight. These were easily the best conditions of the year, probably one of the best days I've ever had in PA.

Left around noon to meet friends at Blue Mountain to ride for the afternoon. The story there is completely different where they're dealing with spring conditions. It was like being in two different states or something.

Video for your enjoyment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKhkhG_Ac4

jS80dzZ.jpg

HutnYGM.jpg

d6cDrrI.jpg

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Pretty sweet!

I've heard JF promotes glade skiing when possible.

They have an open mountain policy and a lot of maintained gladed terrain which is pretty unique for PA. There's only a handful of days per season where you can really take advantage of that but imo its worth it. I can't always drop everything and drive 5 hours to VT so having this 1.5 hours away is great.