• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need some Okemo info

Razor

Skiing Okemo Monday for the first time and would appreciate some good advice. What is the best/easiest place to park? How about the best place to boot up? Can you leave your boot bag in the lodge or do you have to pay to check them? We're good skiers and any info you could provide on the trees would be great. Thanks.

KustyTheKlown

I tend to prefer Jackson Gore side for parking. the lodge and facilities there are newer, and while you still do need to take a lower mountain lift to get to the main lifts, its a lot better than the slow ass dual quads near the main lodge. if you prefer old and homey vibes, the main lodge may be a better place to start. you can leave your bags in both lodges for free. there's better storage for your bags in the upstairs area of the main lodge. on a cold day, I boot up inside. otherwise, car is fine.

okemo is pretty damn boring, apologies in advance. south peak/glades chair, and Jackson gore are really the only interesting at all skiing. main face is a total snooze. Jackson gore has a few glades - black hole and supernova. south face has three fun glades - loose spruce, double diamond, and outrage. i don't know much about off map skiing there. everglade is a decently long intermediate glade off the top.

HD333

Best bet for terrain will be Jackson Gore. White Lightning and Rolling Thunder are good trails. Supernova and Blackhole are good glades, Blackhole probably the better of the 2.
South Face has some good trails for cruising and Under the top of the South Face lift is nice and dumps into Double Diamond glades. Off map take a look skiers right at top of Glades Peak Quad, Triplesec is a nice run off the Glades Peak Quad.

Apres beers at Tom’s Loft!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oncefast

Good info so far. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Not sure Glades Peak quad runs during the week. If not running, take Sun Dog and do the short climb to the top off the GP lift. You can then have the run down under the chair all to yourselves. If you are on the Main Face and want to go to Jackson Gore, Take Rim Run to Everglade and avoid the Sweet Solitude/Roundhouse Run highway. I like the Black Hole and Supernova glades best.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think most people are spot on with their recommendations so far, but I will say if it's a Monday, you won't have to deal with long lines off the Northstar lift. It has the longest vertical by far on the hill. World Cup and Chief are both great long cruisers and Upper Wardance / Searles is a cool trail. Sels Choice is usually good for some low angle bumps. Challenger is short, but fun when ungroomed. I always liked Defiance.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

podunk77

Definitely park at Jackson Gore (parking at the main lodge can mean a long walk with lots of stairs). If you like to boot up at your car, do so and wait for the shuttle bus to arrive. I've never used bag storage at Jackson Gore, but I imagine it's fine and plentiful. Okemo grooms everything but the parking lot, but I still find it a lot of fun.

Edd

I went there for the first time myself this season. I was planing to hit Jackson Gore for parking but looked at no maps of the resort in advance, assuming it would have obvious signage. It definitely wasn’t obvious to me. I ended up parking at the main lodge, which was a typical big resort schlep but I was expecting that anyway.

Point being, if you care which lodge to park at, I’d check directions in advance.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

podunk77

Point being, if you care which lodge to park at, I’d check directions in advance.

Edd's point is well taken.... if you're coming from the south or east, you'll pass through tiny downtown Ludlow, VT.... the first and biggest Okemo sign you'll see is for the main lodge/entrance.... ignore that and proceed about a half mile more and you'll see smaller but still quite visible signs for the Jackson Gore entrance.

Last edited:

abc

I was there last Saturday and hit all 3 glades at Southface. For some reason, Outrage was skied off but Double Diamond was nice and fluffy! So I ended up lapping DD again and again.

With so much fresh snow, many of the ungroomed had formed nice soft bumps that are really a joy to lap too.

urungus

You definitely want to park at the Jackson Gore base. As mentioned above, there is a different entrance for Jackson Gore off Hwy 103, about 2 miles north of the main entrance. If you set your GPS for the Jackson Gore Inn, you should be fine.

Razor

Great day

Sorry, no pictures. Great bluebird day today, although a bit chilly. Still the feel of winter. As directed, we parked at Jackson Gore and booted up in the red house. Excellent choice. Went hard from 10-4. Skied every glade on the map. Kind of disappointed as most had been skied off resulting in a hard packed surface, but still edgeable and fun. Best was Forrest Bump, the only one we did more than once as we wanted to get to all of them. Even found some untracked fresh there, but we had to venture way over skier's right.

I was impressed with Okemo. Plenty of ungroomed runs with nice bumps. Great fast lifts, all of which have footrests, which helps old types like us. Bubbles were welcome on a cold day. Thanks for all the advice. It made for a good time.

Will do. Thanks for all the info.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Sorry, no pictures. Great bluebird day today, although a bit chilly. Still the feel of winter. As directed, we parked at Jackson Gore and booted up in the red house. Excellent choice. Went hard from 10-4. Skied every glade on the map. Kind of disappointed as most had been skied off resulting in a hard packed surface, but still edgeable and fun. Best was Forrest Bump, the only one we did more than once as we wanted to get to all of them. Even found some untracked fresh there, but we had to venture way over skier's right.

I was impressed with Okemo. Plenty of ungroomed runs with nice bumps. Great fast lifts, all of which have footrests, which helps old types like us. Bubbles were welcome on a cold day. Thanks for all the advice. It made for a good time.

Alpinezone going nuclear in 3...2...1...

Edd

I was also pleasantly surprised by Okemo’s terrain. But that was on a surprise 14” pow day. I’d like to go back while the Max Pass still exists.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

gnardawg

HA I can't believe I just read that. I was at Okemo a day or two after a storm earlier in the year. On the sunny side they had closed DD, Outrage and Wild Thing with patrollers at the top and bottom pulling tickets. At Killington or SB they would have been opened.

Alpinezone going nuclear in 3...2...1...