• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe 3-17

kingslug

Drove up last night..motivation was high..unpack..damn.left the gloves home..this morning find The Darkside is open 7am..snowboard shop saves idiot skier..film at 11.
It was peaceful at 730, no wind,nice. 8am ..the hoatds sjow up and the wind. Now windy and cold with grey skies. Packed powder..deep as hell. Goat is the run of the day..never seen it this high. Warming up now..gondi side next.
And..its a zoo..time for a Heady

Last edited:

kingslug

Winds have picked up big time..now its cold..gondi line loooong..quad not so much..running half speed. Got blown up backwards on Nosedive...time for more Goat..peaceful back there..only us slugs..

kingslug

Finaly got t o the gondola..long line but chin clip was wofth it..twice..you could just rip through the moguls..finished the day at 4....8 hours..im shot but ready for MRG tomorrow..

WJenness

agree with everything slug said.

We rolled in at about 8:15, parked near Midway, thought we'd take advantage of the Gondi side first given that it hadn't opened yet.

Line was LONNNGGG that first time up. Took us close to 40 minutes from when we got in line until we got off the gondola at the top. We used the singles line and it saved us some, but the ski school load up was pretty severe, the lift was running slow, a few stoppages (wind I'm guessing) and it took forever.

Further Gondola trips were more like 20 mins from getting in line to getting off at the top, not ideal, but better than the first one.

Had a fun / not so fun incident in the woods between Gondolier and Perry Merrill...

I was skiing with a friend, came around a tree, and he had stopped short, I dodged him and went to his left, and immediately realized why he stopped short...

As I plummeted into a powder filled pocket that I thought I could ski up the other side.

Spoiler alert: I didn't make it.

Double eject, over the handlebars, stuck the dismount in the snow (with my face).

Went to find my skis to get back up, my left leg sunk into the snow up to my hip. For those that don't know me: I'm 6'4", so that was pretty serious snow depth. Ended up spending 10 minutes or so climbing up the 8 feet or so to get back to the path that was more packed down to be able to get up and click back into my skis.

Careful out there kids: It'd DEEP.

Went over to the quad later on, not much of a line there at all, but the winds on the top 1/4 of the ride were vicious ice-cream headache inducing ordeals.

We went hard until about 2:30 then had to head back to Waterbury for dinner reservations at Hen of The Wood (which was out-fucking-standing).

Overall, great weekend, glad we got away for a couple of days.