• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any crazy lines dropped this season so far

kingslug

So..any one drop any heart stopping lines this season. We know Krusty wins this one..I try to scare myself a bit at least a few times. Fuez bowl at KH did it for me this time. Like dropping into a giant white soup bowl..vertigo inducing..too damn early, 2nd run of the day. You know..fun.
20180228_104503.jpg

KustyTheKlown

almost every run i did at kicking horse was among the most steep and cornice-y skiing ive done

i skied some pretty hairy stuff at big sky off of headwaters and off the tram

past paradise/octupus garden is probably the hardest thing i've skied all year. its just so much tighter in the east.

kingslug

Thats why you win this one..40 to 50 degree lines in big bowls are ok..you can turn all you want.
Now little chute.at Baldy is terrifying..stupidest thing i have ever done. The people i was skiing with had never done it and they lived there for over 10 years..what made them think i could is beyond me..main chute is easy compared..little is 1 turn wide and 50 degrees..never again..

KustyTheKlown

what is busted? the woods past poma?

i had first tracks down poma line with 7" earlier this season. that was dope.

kingslug

Anyone ski 44 at Hunter..that can be a truly messed up run..last time was a thin ribbon of death ice skiers left..bst its good now.

Whitey

Big Sky had the steepest runs I've tackled in about 10 yrs. Steeps all over the place too, not just Lone Peak. A lot of pretty challenging stuff. I did some runs off of the Challenger chair that made my sphincter pucker a bit. I didn't get many pics. The ones below are from the woods next to "Highway". After I got thru the top I ducked into a tree area to skiers right of that run that was roped but had one entrance and looked good. I went in and it was great but then I crested a ridge and it fell off the table. The pic looking down the slope doesn't do the steepness justice ( I stopped and took it hoping to catch how steep it was but it didn't come out in the pic). I was propping myself against the slope above me to get that pic. Jumps turns the whole way and then I got to the rocks/cliffs and had to bail to the right.

DSC01735.jpg

DSC01740.jpg

Highway woods.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01741.jpg
    DSC01741.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 163

kingslug

If you know what your looking at..and we do..the trees and how they look from the top of the pic to the bottom show how steep it is. I usualy get worried when i ski up to a ridge and am looking at the tops of the trees below me..

drjeff

Checked the Red line at Magic off my bucket list a couple of weekends ago!!

Hope to get my 2nd trip down the Goat Path at Mount Snow (a semi legendary off the map run on the Northface) this weekend, as for the first time in a few years, the snow depth is adequate while I'm going to be there... Tightest, steepest trees I've ever skied to date!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

The toughest thing i have done this year has been an unnamed glade at Smuggs off Lower Catwalk right after Robin's Run. I wouldn't call it crazy but it was steep tight trees with some rocks and small cliff drops.

Whitey

Now little chute.at Baldy is terrifying..stupidest thing i have ever done. The people i was skiing with had never done it and they lived there for over 10 years..what made them think i could is beyond me..main chute is easy compared..little is 1 turn wide and 50 degrees..never again..

Googled a video of that run because of your post. Holy sh1t, some of that chute is only ski length wide in a lot of places. You have my respects that you got thru that. Was that recent that you did it?

kingslug

I think it was 6 years ago..ive done main 4 times but not the last 2. Years...didnt feel like making the 45 minute climb which at that altitude is rough. The last main chute drop had a near verticle 40 foot entrance..that was freaky.

VTKilarney

I wish pictures showed steepness accurately. Everything gets flattened in a picture.

kingslug

Hows this..I'm in the blue..staring down..praying.

Attachments

• MAIN CHUTE MARCH 2013.jpg
    MAIN CHUTE MARCH 2013.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 134
  • MAIN CHUTE 2  MARCH 2013.jpg
    MAIN CHUTE 2 MARCH 2013.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 135

kingslug

The bad part was when a woman who was with us said " another chance to kill the New Yorker" she ended up sliding face face 400 feet and breaking her shoulder after one ski popped off...its why I'm kind of done with the high risk stuff...

Hawk

Big sky this year had my steepest and most challenging lines. We did some of the chutes out off the head waters Chair. We never made it out as far as the 3 forks but did a couple about 15 minutes out off the hike. Dictators were filled in and pretty wide so not as challenging as the last time I was there. Did some good lines in the gullies through the constriction over to the skiers right. Pretty steep. Didn't make it to the Big as the week I was mostly socked in with snow and clouds and when it cleared the list was hours long when we got up there. Pound for pound that mountain is my favorite lately. No lines, good snow and the most steep challenging skiing right off the lift.

bdfreetuna

Hope to get my 2nd trip down the Goat Path at Mount Snow (a semi legendary off the map run on the Northface) this weekend, as for the first time in a few years, the snow depth is adequate while I'm going to be there... Tightest, steepest trees I've ever skied to date!!

Didn't find it on YouTube or anything. Any clues as to where you enter this thing / what it's between etc?