• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Texting while skiing

KustyTheKlown

its just such a ridiculous and narcissistic thing to do. you're really gonna watch videos of yourself riding in bounds groomers at mount snow all day? if the terrain is interesting or out of bounds, or you're doing wild shit in the park, that's one thing, but it seems most of the go pros are groomer jerrys.

Pez

I've done the phone shoved in my helmet talking thing. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

lerops

Like most things, if you practice it you can get pretty good at it. Kids today get a lot of practice texting while doing other things, so probably some of them can ski and text at the same time while being fairly safe. The key is probably being able to shift your vision rapidly between the screen and the world in front of you so that you don't lose too much situational awareness.

Like texting and driving it's still a bad idea since the risk of hurting yourself and others is still there. And some people are prone to getting fixated on the phone screen or conversation, and then their situational awareness goes out the window.

You are kidding, right? Nobody can be “fairly safe” while skiing and texting. There is no way.

Also, it is not just what is ahead of you. A lot of stuff changes and also dynamically because you are moving.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
The first time I went to Plattekill was in 2010 during that huge dump that caused a big power outage a Hunter. The snow was so deep and heavy, the only place you could actually ski was the "groomers" that had maybe 18 inches on top of the cord. If you went off to the side you were stuck and if you fell you were dead unless someone pulled you out.

We did just that for a girl who was texting while skiing. She fell on her face, and lucky for her we saw it and pulled her out. She was coughing and scared shitless. I barely knew what texting was at the time.

Last edited:

So Inclined

i've done facebook live videos. last season i had a series "skiing in the woods". i refuse to participate in go pro culture. so i'll just put my poles in one hand and film with the other hand for a minute or two. no harm there.

The one and only Facebook Live video I've taken was of me participating in a torchlight parade last year. Lit flare in one hand, phone in the other - challenging to the point of being almost stoopid, but it all ended well and I got a fun video out of it.

Rowsdower

The first time I went to Plattekill was in 2010 during that huge dump that caused a big power outage a Hunter. The snow was so deep and heavy, the only place you could actually ski was the "groomers" that had maybe 18 inches on top of the cord. If you went off to the side you were stuck and if you fell you were dead unless someone pulled you out.

We did just that for a girl who was texting while skiing. She fell on her face, and lucky for her we saw it and pulled her out. She was coughing and scared shitless. I barely knew what texting was at the time.

Platty didn't lose power during a similar massive storm earlier this month. They must be on a different circuit or whatever. I don't know anything about how power transmission works.

speden

You are kidding, right? Nobody can be “fairly safe” while skiing and texting. There is no way.

Also, it is not just what is ahead of you. A lot of stuff changes and also dynamically because you are moving.

Well I could never do it safely, but I wouldn't say no one could. Poking along on a wide open trail, how hard would it be to text, "Meet you at the lodge" and not crash? Probably not that hard.

Smellytele

The one and only Facebook Live video I've taken was of me participating in a torchlight parade last year. Lit flare in one hand, phone in the other - challenging to the point of being almost stoopid, but it all ended well and I got a fun video out of it.

At least you weren't in the woods trying to do it.

Glenn

The Go-Pro fad seems to be dying out.

About three years ago, it seemed like 25% of people in line had a dang camera on them. Now I think it's more like 5%.

I saw a kid in the liftline this weekend with what I assumed was a 360 or some variation of a 360 cam on his helmet. It was a white camera that had two fish eye lenses; one in front, one in the rear.

I agree on the GoPros. Seems to have been a somewhat passing fad now. I see more empty mounts these days than cams.

tnt1234

I'm actually in the market for a good old fashioned digital camera so I can leave me phone in my pocket on do not disturb and take pictures without having to see missed calls and texts....

Also, easier to turn on point and shoot, rather than fumbling with the phone - at least for me.

cdskier

I'm actually in the market for a good old fashioned digital camera so I can leave me phone in my pocket on do not disturb and take pictures without having to see missed calls and texts....

Also, easier to turn on point and shoot, rather than fumbling with the phone - at least for me.

I use a DSLR camera for most of my pictures...although I don't think that's quite what you were referring to :smile:

speden

It's a good idea. I had to replace my phone battery since it didn't like getting frozen, so it's best to keep your phone in a nice warm inner pocket.

kingslug

lead heli ski guide..BC 3 years ago..i see you guys don't have those gopros...nope, I don't own one...good..hate those fucking things. Need to keep your mind in the game out here.
yup..you do.

KustyTheKlown

It's a good idea. I had to replace my phone battery since it didn't like getting frozen, so it's best to keep your phone in a nice warm inner pocket.

I ski with phone plugged into portable charger in breast pocket. I stay at 100 all day and don't die bc of cold.

SnowRock

Texting while skiing is next level absurd. I will own up to being a fairly connected sort when it comes to checking email. I work in a client services job so as much as a loathe the connected culture it does enable me to ski more than I would otherwise.

Like others I try to tackle the calls/emails away from others, out of the lift line or lift. I have done a few conference calls from the octagon this season and may have to again Friday, but I get to be on the mountain for most of the day so it’s a small price to pay. Outside of that I run ski tracks, sometimes listen to music (one ear only) and the phone is usually in my mid layer breast pocket.

KustyTheKlown

if I am on a "vacation" ski trip and am skiing weekdays, I am fighting off work e-mail on every chairlift. I don't think its rude to the strangers on the chair for me to be fielding e-mails. I don't take calls. I just don't want to come back to work to hundreds of emails piled up.

lerops

Well I could never do it safely, but I wouldn't say no one could. Poking along on a wide open trail, how hard would it be to text, "Meet you at the lodge" and not crash? Probably not that hard.

I would say no one could. Definitely no one should.

If that is an important text, people should stop, text, and then ski. This is not a “yes, but” kind of thing.

Somebody could argue “how hard could it be to have a couple of drinks and drive on an empty road?” We don’t leave that to people’s discretion, do we? That is the point of public policy setting.

Domeskier

If you're not skiing with your phone in hand, how do you know where the next pokemon is at?