• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski recommendations...thinking about the Brahmas.

tnt1234

Ski the Blizzard Bushwhacker now, and love the ski for everything except the all to frequent frozen granular hard pack...

Might be a tuning issue, but I feel like they aren't railing the turns....will try a fresh pro tune next year, but was thinking about adding a pair of Brahamas if I can find some on sale. Basically the same ski but with a sheet of metal. Think a little stiffness would help here? Or should I just consider a full camber ski for groomer days?

Was thinking I would then turn the bushwhackers into an AT ski, which is something I'd like to do more of.

Thoughts?

Glenn

Give them a demo in the conditions you want them to perform in and go from there. Getting a true feel for them will be better than any review you read here or online.

Hawkshot99

I owned the Bushwacker when they first came out, 09, or 10 I think. I really liked them just found them a bit soft without metal. I started skiing the Brahma 4 yrs ago I think and loved the ski! I had 3 pairs of them and they were one of my favorite all around skis. Still turned super easy and playful, but with all the metal inside them(2 full sheets) they are super stable on a high speed hard pack run.
I now ski the Stockli Stormrider 88, and consider it a Brahma on steroids, but would not be on them if i had to pay full price for them.

They did redesign the Brahma for the 17-18' season. They took out some of the tip rocker, and made the turning radius a bit smaller. I have skied the old and new versions back to back and do notice the difference, but couldn't say which I prefer. They are different but equal in my opinion.

Edd

They’ve released a new Bushwacker this year with a layer of carbon to stiffen it up. I test drove it at Sunapee at couple of weeks ago. It’s definitely a solid change from the old Bushwacker.

I ride the old version in a 180 length and also find the carving performance lacking. Love it for everything else. I tried the new version in the same length and found it a bit too stiff but I wonder if I should move down in length. I wanted to try the shorter version but someone else was test driving it.

It also has a shorter turn radius and less rocker.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

They’ve released a new Bushwacker this year with a layer of carbon to stiffen it up. I test drove it at Sunapee at couple of weeks ago. It’s definitely a solid change from the old Bushwacker.

I ride the old version in a 180 length and also find the carving performance lacking. Love it for everything else. I tried the new version in the same length and found it a bit too stiff but I wonder if I should move down in length. I wanted to try the shorter version but someone else was test driving it.

I didn't realize they added carbon to Bushwhacker...that sounds kind of ideal to me.

gnardawg

Sorry to highjack - don't want to flood the board with multiple threads about ski recommendations but I'm also in teh market and I was wondering if anyone has any info on the Faction Prodigy 2.0

https://us.factionskis.com/products/prodigy-2-0

Mods - does it make sense to make a sticky for ski recommendations?

WJenness

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Brahma as it is right now.

I skied it at several demo days this year, and I'm getting a pair for next season.

There is no change from the '17/'18 to the '18/'19...

That seems to have limited the ability to get a deal on this year's Brahma, which is what I was hoping for.

-w

Hawkshot99

The Bushwacker for 18/19' is simply a Brahma CA from 17/18'. That ski is a regular Brahma with no metal. The original Bushwacker is actually a tad stiffer as it has metal under foot but not to the tip and tail.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

The Bushwacker for 18/19' is simply a Brahma CA from 17/18'. That ski is a regular Brahma with no metal. The original Bushwacker is actually a tad stiffer as it has metal under foot but not to the tip and tail.

It did not feel that way at me at all. The increased stiffness was very noticeable.

Edd

Could it be you are comparing a brand new ski to a older worn in ski? The Bushwacker hasn't been made in many years.

That’s possible but I’m not buying it. Also, mine are less than 4 years old with probably less than 100 days on them as they aren’t my only ski. Mine never felt as tightly wound as the new model, to the point that I felt it wasn’t for me, in that length at least.

puckoach

I moved from a Sultan Legend 85, to a 17/18 Brahama in March of 17.

The Sultan didn't have enough float.

I am very happy with the Brahama.

One natural snow fall day (8"), I got thinking about the Bonifides, for more float. But, they did add a little pressure to my creaky old knee..... Good Luck !

lerops

I owned the Bushwacker when they first came out, 09, or 10 I think. I really liked them just found them a bit soft without metal. I started skiing the Brahma 4 yrs ago I think and loved the ski! I had 3 pairs of them and they were one of my favorite all around skis. Still turned super easy and playful, but with all the metal inside them(2 full sheets) they are super stable on a high speed hard pack run.
I now ski the Stockli Stormrider 88, and consider it a Brahma on steroids, but would not be on them if i had to pay full price for them.

They did redesign the Brahma for the 17-18' season. They took out some of the tip rocker, and made the turning radius a bit smaller. I have skied the old and new versions back to back and do notice the difference, but couldn't say which I prefer. They are different but equal in my opinion.

How do you compare the Brahmas to the Volkl Kendos?

I have the Kendos at 170. I am 5’7” and 155lbs. I really like them on groomers but too long and stiff for me on moguls and trees. I am looking for something shorter and slightly softer. Volks at 162 is too short. Somebody recommended the Brahmas. Hence my question.

SIKSKIER

Brahma is my everyday ski right now.If your looking for a midfat thats good on hard snow than this is it.I'm big and ski fast hard snow all the time at Cannon and these work great.They are pretty stiff so there are better skiis in deep soft snow.I find they ski a little stiffer than the Kendos.

p_levert

WJenness

Brahma is my everyday ski right now.If your looking for a midfat thats good on hard snow than this is it.I'm big and ski fast hard snow all the time at Cannon and these work great.They are pretty stiff so there are better skiis in deep soft snow.I find they ski a little stiffer than the Kendos.

Agreed.

Skied them pretty much back to back at a demo day at Loon in Sept.

Skied pretty similarly, but the Kendos were a touch softer, and has a longer turning radius:

Kendo in a 177 has a 20.8m radius, Brahma in a 180 has a 17m radius.

If you want a softer Brahma, check out the Brahma CA, or the Rustler 9 (new ski for 2019).

Hawkshot99

How do you compare the Brahmas to the Volkl Kendos?

I have the Kendos at 170. I am 5’7” and 155lbs. I really like them on groomers but too long and stiff for me on moguls and trees. I am looking for something shorter and slightly softer. Volks at 162 is too short. Somebody recommended the Brahmas. Hence my question.

As others have posted, the Brahma is a but stiffer than the Kendo. I felt more confident at higher speeds on a groomer with them.

WoodCore

If your looking for stability on frozen groomers you need to go in another direction with your ski choice. Why buy another almost identical twin to the pair of skis you already own? Diversify the quiver with a wide under foot carving ski. Traditional camber, some metal and plenty of shape will work nice.

lerops

Thanks all!

I guess I should look for something different for my second ski for trees and bumps. I can also replace the Kendos with something slightly shorter and stiffer for the hard snow. Maybe this weekend might be good to demo something. Any more suggestions?

If your looking for stability on frozen groomers you need to go in another direction with your ski choice. Why buy another almost identical twin to the pair of skis you already own? Diversify the quiver with a wide under foot carving ski. Traditional camber, some metal and plenty of shape will work nice.

Was this meant for me or the OP?

Last edited: