• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go this weekend

kingslug

Looking at the different weather reports and trying to figure out where it won't be a skating rink this weekend. Can only go Sunday. From the Cats to S VT ...

KustyTheKlown

have to be at a family dinner in tenafly NJ on Friday. driving to Albany after. have not decided if sat morning I head to whiteface or to Vermont. its either a whiteface/gore weekend, or a pico/okemo/Stratton weekend. north and high elevation seems like it may make a difference...

kingslug

Going to wait till last minute and see what happens. Weekend after its K...
Dont want to break the streak..hate missing a week

bdfreetuna

My next target is some time next week midweek -- hopefully a Burke > Jay trip especially if they get a bit of a refresher up there

Sitting this weekend out... not the time of year I'd prefer to do it but its nice to have some midweek flexibility

BenedictGomez

All per the GFS: This Friday looks like a washout.

Saturday likely will be pretty poor hockey rink conditions, though it may hit the 40s in the afternoon, but I dont know if the warmth will come in time or not.

The good news is there is some snow chance for Saturday night into Sunday far north.

All-in-all, this stinks. I had planned to ski Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, now Friday is out and Saturday is a coin-toss at best. :(

Waiting on the other models.....

KustyTheKlown

yea im going anyway. Saturday will be firm. sunday could be good. I just like being in the mountains and we are running out of time.

Jcb890

We'll probably use our last MAX Pass at Loon on Saturday to have a shorter drive home with plans on Sunday already for Easter.

Sunday evening/PM I think I'll be driving up to Jay and riding on the 2nd with a couple of buddies. Still not confirmed on that yet though. Otherwise, I'll be riding somewhere else Monday since I have it off from work.

gnardawg

I'm skiing Friday one way or another. I'm optimistic it's just a small morning shower.

cdskier

I'm skiing Friday one way or another. I'm optimistic it's just a small morning shower.

Forecast I saw showed most precip Thursday night and ending early Friday morning (possibly by the time lifts open). As long as you don't mind soft snow, then I think Friday will be ok and not a washout. I'll be skiing Friday as well unless the forecast changes to precip during the ski day.

KustyTheKlown

GFS has rain from western new york to the maine coast all day Friday. some change to snow sat night.

cdskier

GFS has rain from western new york to the maine coast all day Friday. some change to snow sat night.

NWS Burlington thinks the GFS is moving the system too slowly and is going with other models show it moving through quicker and lingering precip dying off very quickly Friday morning. (This is for VT...areas in NH and ME further east may not be as lucky Friday).

Of course we're still a few days out so things could change...

BenedictGomez

Forecast I saw showed most precip Thursday night and ending early Friday morning (possibly by the time lifts open). As long as you don't mind soft snow, then I think Friday will be ok and not a washout. I'll be skiing Friday as well unless the forecast changes to precip during the ski day.

GFS and Canadian are rain all during the ski day Friday.

It's the NAM that has the rain ending early Friday morning.

lerops

How about Thursday?

I am at SR now with my daughter and need to head home on Th, and was thinking of breaking the drive into two by skiing Loon on Th.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MG Skier

Already had a trip planned to Jay, couldn't ski last 2 weekends due to job! I will be prepared to ski in any and all weather! Friday - Sunday.
It is what it is, and I want to ski!

Glenn

NWS Albany is saying the bulk of the rainfall will happen Thursday evening into early Friday AM. Maybe Friday afternoon will be salvageable. It will be a bit windy as the front passes through.

drjeff

Friday - Mount Snow - may be a late start for me depending on if I drive up Thursday night after taking my son to the Boston Bruins - Tampa Bay Lightning game Thursday night or head up first thing Friday mornin

Saturday - Mount Snow - even if the conditions are iffy, it's Brewfest Day with a great band playing so it will be a fun day regardless!!

Sunday - Mount Snow - ski for an hour or 2 at the opening bell, and then off to Easter Dinner at my wife's Uncle's house over by Nashua, NH

I've got the clothing for whatever weather mother nature brings. It's late March, if one stresses too much about the weather, than they're more than likely just reducing 1 more day option out of a dwindling window of opportunities to get out on the hill this season

KustyTheKlown

I've got the clothing for whatever weather mother nature brings. It's late March, if one stresses too much about the weather, than they're more than likely just reducing 1 more day option out of a dwindling window of opportunities to get out on the hill this season

quoted for truth.

Jcb890

Friday - Mount Snow - may be a late start for me depending on if I drive up Thursday night after taking my son to the Boston Bruins - Tampa Bay Lightning game Thursday night or head up first thing Friday mornin

Saturday - Mount Snow - even if the conditions are iffy, it's Brewfest Day with a great band playing so it will be a fun day regardless!!

Sunday - Mount Snow - ski for an hour or 2 at the opening bell, and then off to Easter Dinner at my wife's Uncle's house over by Nashua, NH

Do you know what Mt. Snow's closing day will be or when they'll switch to weekend-only operations?

KustyTheKlown

I just booked murder motels in Albany for Friday and Rutland for Saturday. I need to be at a dinner in northern NJ on Friday night so I won't be on the road until 9 if I am lucky. get to Albany between 11-12, sleep til about 7, give the snow some time to soften up and head to whiteface, gore, pico, or killington, and then hit okemo or Stratton on the way back south sunday.

if we are dealing with a strong freeze situation, okemo may be an ok move for Saturday since they groom so hard. this is when good grooming is useful.